Its been a while but need some advice about doctors

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PrincessofYoga, Aug 21, 2002.

1. PrincessofYoga

PrincessofYoga New Member

Hi everyone!
    I haven't been on a while. Reasons are plenty but mostly because I had to stop focusing on how bad I felt and doing something about it. (not that anyone here isn't...I would just get caught up in complaining and bellyaching that I wasn't seeing the solutions...just the problems.

Here is my dilemma..

I have made a big move. I am moving in an upward position in my company...but taking a loss in money. I will be working less hours (30 instead of 40) to hopefully get myself in check and ready for anything that comes. I am still very new to my diagnosis and this illness so I struggle with the things it throws at me daily, as does everyone.

I am currently on 20mg of Elavil..working wonders for my sleep and was for my pain. I was still taking advil for my headaches...of which I have frequently, if not daily. I have noticed that I take it alot (4 every 4-6 hours until I go to bed) and I am worried about the long term effects of that on my kidneys..and anything else that it may be effecting. Not only that, but over the past 3 days, I have noticed my pain level right back to where it was before the elavil (I guess its a flare).

I see my doctor next week. I love him. He is letting me guide my treatment. Cant ask for more than that. I tried yoga but honestly, it was a two hour class and I didnt get home until after 10. I cant do that to myself (I was so tired when I got out of there I couldn't even find my car!). What would you suggest that I tell him? I was thinking that I need an actual pain killer now, maybe Ultram since I have heard so much about it but I have read that you can not take elavil and ultram together (any anti-depressant I believe).

Any thoughts ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. PrincessofYoga

Hi everyone!
    I haven't been on a while. Reasons are plenty but mostly because I had to stop focusing on how bad I felt and doing something about it. (not that anyone here isn't...I would just get caught up in complaining and bellyaching that I wasn't seeing the solutions...just the problems.

Here is my dilemma..

I have made a big move. I am moving in an upward position in my company...but taking a loss in money. I will be working less hours (30 instead of 40) to hopefully get myself in check and ready for anything that comes. I am still very new to my diagnosis and this illness so I struggle with the things it throws at me daily, as does everyone.

I am currently on 20mg of Elavil..working wonders for my sleep and was for my pain. I was still taking advil for my headaches...of which I have frequently, if not daily. I have noticed that I take it alot (4 every 4-6 hours until I go to bed) and I am worried about the long term effects of that on my kidneys..and anything else that it may be effecting. Not only that, but over the past 3 days, I have noticed my pain level right back to where it was before the elavil (I guess its a flare).

I see my doctor next week. I love him. He is letting me guide my treatment. Cant ask for more than that. I tried yoga but honestly, it was a two hour class and I didnt get home until after 10. I cant do that to myself (I was so tired when I got out of there I couldn't even find my car!). What would you suggest that I tell him? I was thinking that I need an actual pain killer now, maybe Ultram since I have heard so much about it but I have read that you can not take elavil and ultram together (any anti-depressant I believe).

Any thoughts ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to see you back on the board. I really can't help with the meds, as I take only Xanax, the rest is supplements.

Would just make one suggestion, have you tried taking Malic Acid and Magnesium( Pro Energy)? Most of us are deficient in this mineral (magnesium), which helps heal our muscles when we sleep.

I also take ZMA for sleep, which is now sold here at Pro Health. It has been a wonder for me. I sleep very deeply, and don't need any meds, I sleep for 7-8 hours without waking up, if I do wake, I go right back to sleep.

You can read about both of these on the 'Store' link if you want.

I am so glad you are doing so well with your job and less hours, that is good news.

If I can help in anyway, please let me know.

Shalom, Shirl

4. PrincessofYoga

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been wanting to go the natural route for sure. I just want myself under control for this new job. It is a high level job so I have to be perky and on top of things. Where I am now...well, I can hide out if it gets to bad. There, I will be right out side the CEO's office so cant hide there!

I think I will try the magnesium and malic acid. I have been hesitant to start on to many things just because of the expense. I am taking quite a cut in pay so I have to reduce my spending. My health comes first though.

I am curious what my doctor will say to me next week. I am thinking I will let him talk first..see what he asks and suggests. I was going to try yoga last time I saw him but the yoga class I ended up paying for was not for me at all so I have never been back.

Thanks for the flexeril suggestion. I will defintely keep that in mind!

Namaste
    Lisa
  5. blast

blast New Member

Hi sweetie!
    You have a good suggestion about the Ultram. Yes you can take it with any anti-d, at least I did for 2 years and I am still kicking.
    So don't hesitate, you dont't deserve to be in pain at all!
    With Love,
    Sherri
  6. PrincessofYoga

My doctor has decided to up my Elavil to 50 mg (I am on 20 now). We shall see.

Thanks again all!