It's getting worse and they don't care

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sat556, Oct 13, 2005.

1. sat556

sat556 New Member

Hiya

Haven't been on here much since I told of my driving problems but I was wondering if I might be able to get some advice.

(The sleep troubles are still with me, the doctor took a blood test but that was normal, I suppose I should go back when I get time.)

What I am actually going to ask about is this morning stiffness. Over the past week this has become so bad that it actually lasts ALL MORNING. I get up at 7am, get to work at 8 still stiff and it doesn't seem to shift until about 1pm. It's slowing my work rate down and as you all know, employers don't seem to believe you when you tell them it's due to FMS.
    Does anybody else have it last that long? Is that the norm and I have just been lucky up until now? Is it likely to go back to how it was? What can I do to help it?
    Once again it's my work causing me problems.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I'm the same way, though fortunate now to be retired now and able to take my time in the morning. I usually sit with the heating pad for an hour or two when I first get up, I take my meds, then a hot shower. I arrange my appointments, errands etc. for late afternoon.

When I was working, I had a heating pad in my office to ease me into the day - perhaps you can do the same.

God bless, Anne Theresa
  3. sat556

sat556 New Member

It is possible for me to use a heat pad at work. A bit awkward, but possible. My main problem is my neck which is why I have it.
    I always smile at myself thudding down the stairs first thing in the morning but it's usually shifted by the time I get to work. Maybe I will try having a soak in the bath before I go in, see if that all over heat helps :)
  4. sat556

sat556 New Member

Is it worth it? I am permanently on pain killers anyway. Like many I don't bother going to the docs (the sleep thing was different) with my pains as he's just going to say it's FMS and that nothing can be done. Think I'll just have to kick myself into shifting a bit faster, ignoring the difficulty if I can. Lol. I am quite a fast worker at my job and it annoys me so much that I can't get up to my usual speed.
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

My pain and stiffness vary, but USUALLY I am stiff until about 12 or 1:00

Like others, I schedule all my appts in the afternoon
  6. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

but the dr put me on Cymbalta and it makes me feel better - from about 9:00-11:00 and then I gradually get stiff again until I get to bed at night. I do not know what it is about the Cymbalta that helps that particular problem for a while but it does.

I, personally, don't think that anyone who has not had this problem in the past can understand what you are talking about. If you are like me - it is not just "stiffness" is is an all-over body ache, can't move at any joint stiffness. There is a difference between this and the stiffness that most people had experienced from over working or over playing - I used to get that kind of stiffness in high school during basketball and that did not even compare! You can't just walk this pain off.

Something that does seem to help me as well is showering in the morning instead of @ night. I just feel better after using real hot water.

Hope you feel better!
    Kelly