It's not strep..what is it?????!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goaska29, Nov 10, 2005.

1. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

So I have this gross infection in the back of my throat that looks like strep, but i just went to the doc and it's not strep. I'm so sick of doc's looking at me like, "Well you're a hard case, it's a mystery to me." They gave me antibiotics anyways to kill the infection, but they have no idea what it is and it's REALLY gross.

Anyone have any ideas??? It's not mono either.
  2. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

maybe you have TONSOLITHS. Here is a brief description I've copied from another site:

"Tonsils, normally, have crypts lined with lymphoid tissue. This is to expose the largest immune surface possible to the incoming germs. See any anatomy book.

IF these get chronically infected, they can get stretched out and then stuff can accumulate in them and form tonsoliths.

The only solution, once things have reached this point, is a tonsillectomy."

My daughter had some kind of throat infection almost her whole teen-hood (and earlier). Her throat looked HORRIBLE, and while she often had strep, many times it was NOT STREP and we were left wondering why the back of her throat looked so yucky.

It was on this board I learned of the name tonsoliths, and realized that was what was going on for her. She DID end up getting her tonsils out, but I don't know if that is the only solution as the above poster claimed.

Just a thought.
  3. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

last winter i wound up in the ER with a horrible throat infection. i din't test postitve for strep or anything either but the antibiotics knocked it out.