It's official - I am detoxing better, or less, not sure how to put it

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by mbofov, Jan 11, 2013.

1. mbofov

mbofov Member

For many years detoxing has been a huge issue for me. Many benign-seeming substances would cause a huge detox reaction for me- e.g., gelatin (high in glycine) and taurine (helps with detoxing and sleep) - both of these hit me very hard and I was unable to take them. Anything that "helped" with detoxing would hit me very hard (chlorella, cayenne, apple cider vinegar and more).

My chiro had recommended an HCL detox protocol by Premier Research Labs. It is supposed to increase methyl groups. It consists of two supplements, Quantum HCL Activator and Quantum Betaine HCL. And as always, these hit me like a mack truck. Recommended dose was 3 caps of each a day with meals; "sensitive" individuals were to take 1 cap of each every other day; I ended up with 1/2 a cap each every 3 days, and even that was a bit rough.

Well, yesterday I took 1/2 a cap each and noticed next to nothing. Today I bit the bullet and took a full cap of each, and I am fine, several hours later.

I tried a far infrared sauna once and it hit me very hard for 3 days. So am curious to try that again too.

I was doing a mercury detox for a couple of months last spring, which was sort of rough, which I expected, had to go very slow with it, and then my laundry room flooded with sewage and so on (huge mess and insurance fight and cleanup) and had to stop the detoxing, and have not resumed it yet. This is now on my back burner again, but one detox protocol at a time.

In any event, something is working better in my body - either there are fewer toxins or the detoxing pathways are just finally starting to work the way they are supposed to, I really don't know. But I think this is pretty important for me and hopefully may help some of you.

There are two things I can think of that may have contributed to this effect: (1) acetyl-glutathione (see current post about this by Elisa) and (2) gigong - I've been doing the Spring Forest qigong DVD (with accompanying small universe meditation) for about 7 weeks now. And I took the Acetyl-glutathione for about 4 months I think, averaging one 100 mg. tab a day (I took 2 a day for awhile and then cut back to 1 - it's pricey!).

I am still amazed -- I am going to try gradually increasing the HCL detox dose and see how I do, but so far so very good!

Cheers -

Mary
  2. mbofov

mbofov Member

Thanks for your good wishes!

I'm sorry you are so worn out right now - I hope you regain some energy soon --

Mary
  3. mbofov

mbofov Member

My life basically stopped almost 14 years ago when I started crashing. I had been going on a downhill slope since 1985, however, with chronic sore throats, unexplained fatigue, terrible insomnia, digestive problems and so on. But it did not totally stop until I started crashing in 1998, which has limited my activity to about 3-1/2 hours of light activity a day, if I want to avoid crashing the next day.

In the past couple of years I have stumbled across some things which have made me feel almost like a normal person at times (in between crashing and being sick and detoxing) - these were metafolin - biologically active folate, NOT FOLIC ACID. I can't stress this enough. And then finding out that I was chronically short of potassium - and then reading that a "sedentary" lifestyle (e.g., CFS) actually CAUSES potassium deficiency. My potassium levels were in the normal range, but at hte bottom. I'm taking 400 mg. a day and no more low potassium exhaustion. This had been a cause of fatigue for years, only no one knew it.

I'd pretty much sorted out my adrenals which at one time were very weak, with the help of adrenal glandulars and pantothenic acid and a good B vitamin complex (and weak adrenals cause very severe fatigue), and also have been taking Naturethroid - the equivalent of Armour thyroid - for many years. But still --- always a block. I've been taking B12 forever, sublingual and injections. My muscle-testing chiropractor was essential in getting my digestive system back on the right track.

And I've been taking a boatload of supplements it seems like forever, with little apparent result, only I am quite healthy except I can't actually do anything I'd really like to, like most of us here. And my diet is very good (learned this with the help of integrative medicine doctor and chiropractor) - wheat and dairy are major allergens, plus I need extra HCL with meals.

Anyways, to suddenly (or so it seems) stop the horrendous detoxing which occurred so many times when I would try something to help myself, is huge for me. It almost gives me a tiny bit of hope that I might get my life back. I don't really dare hope yet. But some part of me is working better that hasn't worked right in years.

So I just want to encourage whoever reads this to maybe take a look at some of these things. No conventional doctor has been of any help whatsoever in me regaining parts of my life. The only help I've gotten from the medical profession has been from either integrative medicine doctors or chiropractors who do muscle testing.

Mary
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hey, I'm so happy for you, Mary!!!

Love,
    Fore
  5. mbofov

mbofov Member

Thank you for your good wishes! It means a lot to me. I should have added above that this board and Phoenix Rising have been invaluble to me as well, both for information and support with this DD.

I still have a ways to go. But am so grateful for every sign of health that I find in my body, which at times seemed hopeless --

Mary
  6. deepak

deepak Member

I am happy to hear this :) Hope it will continue for you.

How much folate do you take everyday?

I also sometimes think to take adrenal glandular but then back off, getting a bit nervous to mess with the endocrine system. But i do have some symptoms of adrenal and hypothyroid though my tests for thyroid do come normal. But then I read many times tests may be normal and still one may need supplementation.
    In fact I was reading Dr Lowe's notes and he says many fibro patients are actually under diagnosed hypothyroid patients as the symptoms for both are almost the same.

I feel better going vegan and oil free. I also feel LDN helps me feel more "normal" .

I have muscle tightness and body tenderness - I am thinking of doing an antibiotic trial of maybe minocycline or something similar and seeing if I feel better - if it may be related to some infection. My chest wall and ribs pain, especially and I have been getting skipped beats and palpitations.

Good luck to you and good wishes :)

deepak

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so glad you are doing better. Good for you for finding things to help you and sticking with it. Sometimes, we just have to mess around with doses and be patient. Keep us updated.

Love, Mikie
  8. I haven't been on the board ( until briefly last night) for a couple of weeks due to having both my youngest kids home from school for a few weeks and the holidays draining me, among other things. But I can't tell you how happy I am to hear of your improvement, Mary!! How wonderful! I also just read of Michele's improvement and it is so encouraging to hear both of your stories!! Thank you so much for sharing this great news and sharing what has worked for you. I will def look into the things you mentioned! ( I have always been too afraid to try detoxing because of a severe reaction from an attempt at chelation by I.V. a few years ago... And they even cut the dose in half for me...)

I too have seen some improvement in my energy levels since starting d-ribose and glycine 4 to 6 weeks ago. I only take a tsp. of the ribose in the morning with a scoop of glycine in my morning tea, but I have felt more energy just from that small dose. So not sure if I should try to add another dose around noon or not... But I've been considering it... My problem over the last 2 or 3 weeks is all the demands of the holidays and the interaction with my kids ...and overdoing it when I felt a little more energy (and even sometimes when I didn't). All these would send me into the push/ crash cycle, unfortunately. I have a hard time with pacing anyway... But when there are special occasions, like holidays, then I REALLY stink at pacing and then I have to deal with setbacks. But if I can finally overcome the urge to overdo and will just pace myself more consistently, I think I would be doing even better.... Though my sleep could still stand some improvement :-/

But again, I am SO SO happy to hear this news, Mary! I am rejoicing with you! :)
    And I would love to hear more about the exercise DVD you are doing (I forget the correct name)... I just may need to try that. :)

I'm praying you keep feeling better and stronger, Mary! Please keep us posted!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel. :)
  9. mbofov

mbofov Member

I take 1600 mcg. of metafolin a day (two 800 mcg. tablets, one a.m. and one p.m.) A major indication that I needed folate (and metafolin seems to be the best form) was a high number on the MCV (mean corpuscular volume) on the CBC (comprehensive blood count) test. My doctor explained that if there is a folate or B12 deficiency, the red blood cells will be larger than normal in an attempt to compensate for the anemia. I'd been taking B12 for years, but energy did not increase until I added in the metafolin.

Muscle testing by my chiro was what alerted me to my weak adrenals, and within just a few days of starting the adrenal glandular, my energy started to pick up. So it was a no-brainer for me to take it. It made me feel so much better. I had to start with a high initial dose, I was quite weak, and eventually could back down the dose. Also, pantothenic acid (one of the B vitamins) is very important for adrenal health.

Re your thyroid: try googling "stop the thyroid madness", it has a bunch of info on hypothyroidism, even if your tests say nothing is wrong. They also provide info on taking your body temp as one guide to seeing if you are hypothyroid - if it's lower than 98.6 in the mid-afternoon, or below 97.8 first thing in the morning before you get out of bed, this can indicate hypothyroidism.

That's great you feel better going vegan and oil free - I say whatever works for people, do it. And glad the LDN is helping you. I couldn't tolerate it, it made me very spacey, but we are all different.

You might want to check your potassium levels and also make sure you're taking enough magnesium. Both low potassium and low magnesium can cause skipped beats and palpitations.

Thanks for your good wishes! I hope you continue to improve -

Mary
  10. mbofov

mbofov Member

We certainly do need to be patient! If nothing else, I've learned that from this DD. I was talking to my sister the other day - she had had a yeast infection and was being careful about her diet and also taking coconut oil. And then started complaining because she had been doing it for so long: 5 days! I almost laughed in her face. I can do 6 months of something without blinking.

Anyways, we do have to mess around with not only doses but treatments and supplements etc. etc. I will keep you updated, and thanks for your kind thoughts -

Mary
  11. mbofov

mbofov Member

Good to see you back on the board! Michele did a post wondering where you were, hoping you were okay. I'm really glad to hear you've been busy with your kids and holidays.

I would definitely take more d-ribose if I were you. One teaspoon is not a lot - I used to take 2 to 3 teaspoons a day, in divided doses. Dr. Sarah Myhill of the UK says d-ribose has a short half-life so several small doses are better than one large one. So you might try four 1/2 tsp. doses, or even 3 teaspoons in 3 separate doses. It won't hurt you to take more than 1 tsp., and since one is helping, more will probably just give you more energy.

Chelation by IV would scare me. I know it can be rough. I've never done an IV but have detoxed enough on oral supplements to get an idea what it's like. Interestingly, even though I have been extremely sensitive in the past to anything that could possibly cause a detox reaction, I had no bad reaction at all to the acetyl-glutathione. I felt no different taking it, so hopefully you might have the same reaction.

The exercise DVD is from Spring Forest qigong. You can go on-line and read about it. The purpose of qigong is to cultivate or increase and balance qi - energy or life force. The exercises are very gentle, you can do them standing or sitting or even lying down. But qigong can be very powerful. Google "Master Zhou" - he has a website and you can see a bit of what is possible for people who have trained for years and years and year. I have no hopes of becoming like him, but if I can improve my health, it will be great. Also there's something called "small universe" meditation CD which came with the beginning qigong package, which is very interesting. Hard to explain/

Thanks for all your good wishes! and I will keep everyone posted -

Best wishes,

Mary