It's official...

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by justjanelle, Nov 28, 2007.

1. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I'm a Lymie too.

I wanted to thank those of you who encouraged me to go see a LLMD in spite of my "negative" tests (which I posted about a month ago.)

The doctor says I definitely have Lyme plus Babesia, and I have started treatment. Last night I got my first continuous 8 hours of sleep in years, and I hope to be seeing more improvement soon!

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

So you are now on your way to recovery!!

Good luck to you and keep us posted!!!

dar
  3. Daisys

Daisys Member

Yea! I'm so glad you're getting treated now. Getting good sleep will really help you heal.
  4. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I'm on Malarone for the co-infection, azythromycin for the Lyme (not starting off strong on that, just a lower dose until the babesia is gone), plus Neurontin for the sleep (added to the Zanaflex and the Elavil my rheumatologist already had me on for sleep but that weren't helping much lately.) Plus Diflucan just twice a week to keep from having yeast problems crop up.

He also recommended some supplements to start as soon as I'm sure I'm reacting OK to the prescription meds. I can tell you those if you're interested.

It's a huge amount of pills to be taking. It will take some getting used to!

Good luck and speedy recovery!

Janelle
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

Flagyl is necessary to pulse in order to dissolve the cyst-forms of lyme, the immature spirochetes are encapsulated in order to hide from the abx. If Flagyl isn't used, these won't be eradicated...

My son's LLMD is one of the more recognized ones; since the beginning, he takes the abx in cycles (also did the malarone/mepron for babesia) & always pulses the flagyl the last 2 days of every 5 days he's on abx...

Dr. Burrascan's guidelines of 2005 I believe has more information about it, as well as other papers probably at ilads.org

hope that helps,
    Victoria

6. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Thanks for mentioning the Flagyl.

My doctor did discuss it, but says we'll start it after the Babesia is cleared up. At that time (probably in a couple of months) he'll bump up the antibiotic and add the Flagyl to really go after the Lyme.

He feels it's too hard on the body to treat against the Babesia and the Lyme at once.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  7. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

The supplements I was recommended are somewhat different from yours.

Multi-vitamin
    B-complex
    Probiotics
    Ester-C
    Magnesium
    Borage Oil
    Glucosamine/Chondroitin

The Multi-Vitamin, Probiotics and Magnesium are supposed to be taken 2 hours away from the medications. This is because the magnesium (and it's in the vitamin too) can interfere with the antibiotic. And the Probiotics have to be away from the antibiotics so the antibiotic doesn't kill the good bacteria.

The Glucosamine is mainly because I've had arthritis and pain in my knees, so it may not apply in your case.

Best wishes,
    Janelle

PS -- My doctor specified that the Malarone (prescription) was to be taken with a fatty food (he recommended cheese) so it could be absorbed better. So that might be good to keep in mind if you're taking this and your doctor didn't mention it.
  8. munch1958

munch1958 Member

It's such a bear to get a diagnosis. I've got Lyme & Babs too. Maybe Bartonella -- Not sure about that one yet.

Another med to ask about is Diflucan. This article explains why:

www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/id/6431

My LLMD says candida and borrelia hide inside the same cell. All of these lovely bugs learn to work together.

Like Victoria said, Flagyl is a critical Abx. It's like chemo for Lymies. Start out with a sliver to see how you react. I've heard some bad stories about it.

Other than typical herx symptoms, I tolerated it well. Just some ear ringing once or twice. It can make people very depressed. I think it was more of an emotional herx (if there is such a thing!)

After I started on heparin for hypercoagulation, I took Flagyl again. I can't tolerate the same dose. For me treating hypercoagulation has made a big difference. I just wasn't herxing much before.

I just got done with a 30 day cycle of Malarone. Very tolerable except for a strange herx reaction around day 21. I see the Lyme Wizard next week and have a long list of questions.

I'm sending you best wishes for a speedy recovery! My name on Lymenet is "Munch"