It's "Official"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SAS, Nov 5, 2002.

1. SAS

SAS New Member

I received my official award letter from Social Security yesterday. My first payment will be in December. They consider me disabled as of July 1, but (and I didn't know this), they are required to hold back 5 months before paayments start. Now, I thought that meant I would get a large "back pay", WRONG!! You actually don't get paid anything for 5 months and then your payments begin. BUT, I AM NOT COMPLAINING! I am very grateful that it went so smoothly. I had no appeals or attorney involvement. I can expect to be reviewed in about 3 years.

So, my friends, HAVE FAITH. Be honest when filling out those forms, but be thorough......very thorough. Give them documentation of every single minute of a typical day, especially everything you CANNOT do. Someone had said keep your answers brief, however, I went on in detail using every available space on the front AND back of every form. I figured, the more info I could give them that I could NOT do things, the less they would be likely to say "That's not so bad. She can do a little." So, best of luck to all who are applying, and faith and prayer work. Remember to give thanks also.

Love to all,
    Shirley
  2. SAS

SAS New Member

I received my official award letter from Social Security yesterday. My first payment will be in December. They consider me disabled as of July 1, but (and I didn't know this), they are required to hold back 5 months before paayments start. Now, I thought that meant I would get a large "back pay", WRONG!! You actually don't get paid anything for 5 months and then your payments begin. BUT, I AM NOT COMPLAINING! I am very grateful that it went so smoothly. I had no appeals or attorney involvement. I can expect to be reviewed in about 3 years.

So, my friends, HAVE FAITH. Be honest when filling out those forms, but be thorough......very thorough. Give them documentation of every single minute of a typical day, especially everything you CANNOT do. Someone had said keep your answers brief, however, I went on in detail using every available space on the front AND back of every form. I figured, the more info I could give them that I could NOT do things, the less they would be likely to say "That's not so bad. She can do a little." So, best of luck to all who are applying, and faith and prayer work. Remember to give thanks also.

Love to all,
    Shirley
  3. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

It's always great to hear of someone winning! I am expecting a decision soon. My first attempt, without an attorney. But I too thought that you received a lump payment for the 6 months they wait until payment begins. That's a new one on me. But like you, if I win, I sure won't complain.

May I ask what dx's you were disabled for?

God Bless,
    Regina
  4. battyforbeanies

battyforbeanies New Member

What great news. I did know about the five month thing. Most people have to wait and fight for so long that is why they get a big settlement. You were just one of the lucky ones that didn't have to wait. Myself I have been waiting for almost two years now. But I did get a call saying the judge's decision would be here in the next few days. I was so glad to hear that. I forgot to ask what she decided. It has been over four months since my court date. I had no attorney. Maybe I would have gotten a quicker decision if I did have one. Keep your fingers crossed that it is an approval letter.
    Again Congrats, It is always wonderful to see that one of us has won our case. Maybe it means more people are realizing what we go through.
    Vickie C.
  5. SAS

SAS New Member

I honestly don't know if the Social Security Disability is for FMS or if it iss for the Osteoarthritis or Depression. MY award letter is not specific regarding the reason. I had my Rheumy and my PCP filling out forms, and SS sent me to an evaluation by a psychologist of their choice.

Shirley
  6. tedebear

tedebear New Member

The SS will help a lot. I know I myself waited 2 years. In the past year I have 7 docs now, 18 pills a day and spent together with the insurance $34,000 last year with co-pays. That's just surgeries and doctors. Med expenses not included.
    Again....Congrats and soft hugs.
  7. robsgal15

robsgal15 New Member

Hi Shirley,

Congrats on your award! Isn't it a load off of you?

After reading the question about what you were awarded SSDI for, I am also not quite sure. All I know is that I suffer from panic disorder, depression, agoraphobia and fibro. I too had to see one of their doctors for a mental eval. I
    wonder if it's necessary to know b/c I have not a clue.

Again, congratulations and hope this helps you rest a little easier and put your mind on feeling better.

robsgal15

8. Dawnt

Dawnt Member

I was at the lawyers a couple weeks ago. And she explained about the SSI holding back 5 months. But she also said that SSDI (I may have them reversed) would cover that 5 months at a lower amount. And THAT is the retroactive pay that you get. I'm only going by what my lawyer said. You may want to check into that.
    Dawn