It's so cold out.........

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Jan 16, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Last night we tied the record for minus 17 degrees.

I thought it would be fun if we tell the temperature where we are living. Even if it is balmy 15 degrees.

If anyone can think of some jokes that start out, "It's so cold that...", it might warm up some of us who are dealing with this cold.

It's so cold out my pet polar bear wants to come inside." Hmmmm. Not the funniest one, but a start.

I need a life. I have cabin fever. Help me!!!!

gap[This Message was Edited on 01/16/2009]
  2. Denamay

Denamay New Member

To day, in Northren Alberta it is a balmy 40 F. or 5 C. degrees
    It is a nice break after having it really, really cold.
    We had it as low as 40 degrees below zero,that is where Celsius and Farenheit meet.
    Bare flesh freezes in an instant; every year a number of poor souls freeze to death.
    I can not walk outside though, because the melting snow has turned the sidewalks to sheer ice.
    Minus 17 degrees is plenty cold, I think that you are talking degrees Farenheit?
    I can'nt think of anything too funny about the cold.
    Love Denamay
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sorry can not remember who but I am glad it was mentioned.

Please, please be careful on the ice. That is how I broke my arm that started this DD.

Keep these coming. They are very good. Very,very good.

4. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

When I went to bed last night it was -12 w/ a -29 wind chill and haven't seen what the lowest temp was but that was low enough for me! We didn't break any records but it hasn't been this cold this time of year since '04!!

We made it up to 2 today but it took forever. My furnace and windows couldn't handle the over night temps and the house was cooooooooooolllddd. It's back in the negatives for one more night. More snow tomorrow but it will make it into the 20's we hope!

I can't think of any jokes either, but Minnesota can have their temps back!
    D-- from Alberta...some of my family lives in Ft McMurray and it's warmer there than here in Ohio, and one of my bf's lives in Edmonton and it was much warmer there too this week! It happens every once an awhile.

I had to do some repair work outside my house and should've put extra socks and boots on cuz my toes are still hurting!!! I was only outside for 10 minutes. My scarf kept blowing off my face and when I came inside my face was stinging and then hot and numb but it's fine now. I gave up and will attempt to fix the problem tomorrow when it warms up!!!

GA-- where do you live? I though you were in Georgia by your username, lol!!!

PS I guess the biggest joke is on me, as I moved here 16 years ago from CALIFORNIA!!
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

40 years ago for sunny California. When I first came here people asked me about two things:
    the winters and mosquitoes. I told them we had winters in MN where it could warm up
    50 degrees and still be below freezing.

Most Californians didn't believe that. Then I discovered many of them thought "freezing"
    was zero degrees.

Coldest I ever saw was -29. I was in a restaurant that had sheets of ice on the windows; on
    the inside. Almost impossible to start a car. Most folks kept their cars plugged into a
    heater during the night. Requires a 50-60 foot electric cord.

Last time I was back for a visit it was so cold my sister couldn't make baked Alaska.

Hope you feel better, Gap. Seems kinda funny extreme cold should cause a fever. Must be
    due to that wobal glorming stuff.

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I forgot!!

I live in Illinois about two hours south of Chicago. I moved back here from Chicago about a year ago to be close to my daughter, SIL and my first Granddaughter (now #2 will be here in June!!!). My dad is about an hour away. He turns 90 in Dec. and runs circles around people half his age. His mind is sharp. He is the editor of two newsletters, the condo ass. president etc.

After my daughters graduated from High School, I moved to Chicago to make more money. Then two years ago after living there for almost 10 years, moved back as I could not live there on disability. This is my home town, a University Town, so lots of Theater, music, etc. and liberal until you take one foot out of the city limits!!

What I am paying in rent for a duplex is less than what I was paying for a room the year before I moved back.

However, someday, I do plan on moving back to California. My SIL has about a year and a half of grad. school and they are thinking of moving to Colorado or Calif. So I will eventually be close to both. My younger daughter was married New Years Eve. Kinda, it's a long story.

I'm content where I am now.

Oh my gosh, tell me to stop blabbering here. I just got carried away.

It's so cold here....??? Keep thinking, keep thinking. Hey it is still a fun conversation.

I know!! It's never too cold to keep me from talking, LOL!!

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

So far the only one I found is....

It's so cold that the devil is now on his way to Menards to get plastic wrap for his windows.

8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I used to live in NY so I know about cold weather but now my blood has turned to water after DH was transferred more than 30 yrs ago to TX. We have been having colder than normal weather here in TX but it would be like shorts weather for you and those living in the midwest or NE :) !! It was 28 last night but then warmed up to 50 or so It will be cold again tonight but will or is supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow so it is getting better. I do not kow how to dress, just lots of layers aI guess.

I am just soooo cold esp my hands and feet. Hope you and all will stay warm. I really feel for you all. My body just gets even stiffer and hurts even more in the cold.

Well, gotta run for now. DH needs the computer.

Good luck and please try and stay warm, all of you in the artic weather-BRRRR !

9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

* From 1977. Newer versions R rated.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2009]
  10. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Lol, that was amazing...I watched the first clip.
    Amazingly, during the cold dry weather I needed only my mobic (for arthritis) and no FM pain meds...then this afternoon I couldn't believe how much I was hurting after having to go out in the weather. Well, I just watched the news and freezing rain is on its way...we got up to 32 late today but still w/ a nasty wind chill and the temps go back down tomorrow.
    Does anyone else notice that too-- less pain when it's that cold but dry???
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

It is the humidity in the air that bothers me.

My legs started hurting this afternoon and we are now getting freezing rain. We were not suppose to get this.

So if I am in a flare and the weather is humid whether hot or cold. I feel worse.

12. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I love those jokes! I wish I could think of one, but I'm having a brain freeze right now (ha..brain freeze).

It's about -9 C here, just outside of Toronto and it has been snowing for over 24 hours, so far I think we've had over a foot.

I'm home by myself (which I love!), and defrosting some yummy meatballs I made last week. Nice winter comfort foood!