It's the weather man!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mattnoti, May 8, 2003.

1. mattnoti

mattnoti New Member

I'm going to ask a silly question BUT does the weather effect anyone else? I start hurting like all get out and my brain(what's left of it) get extremely muddled and cranky-I'm not on any drugs and would prefer it that way-any suggestions would be helpfull! A:/
  2. ivorybow

ivorybow New Member

Heat and humidity. I can tell the second I wake up if it's humid or hot or both. I go into a downward spiral. In the summer I hibernate inside. When it is cool, sunny and dry, especially if the wind is blowing, I feel the best. When it is gray for several days in a row I get a bad flare coupled with depression. I have had this reaction for years.
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

I live in the Pacific NW, so lots of rain and dampness. Any change in the weather affects me. I can tell before I even get out of bed if it has started raining during the night. I ache al over, of course I usually do, but it's more intense after the weather change. I went to Arizona for about a week and a half and I felt really good. I know they don't have the humidity that we do, and of course there was no rain.

Dara
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi:

I don't think your question is silly. I have noticed that when the weather is cold, damp, or humid I definitely don't feel as well and my pain level goes up. Maybe we should all move to Arizona?

Ellen
  5. mattnoti

mattnoti New Member

when does the train pull out of the station for this magical land of "the perfect weather"?! Thank for the input! South Ga. weather is not very nice to this southern gal :)A
  6. lmn

lmn New Member

here in New England. The humidity, cold, and rain cloud my brain and causes my muscles to ache. Snowstorms, for me, are the absolute worst!! Thank goodness spring is here.
    lmn

ps a doctor once told me it has to do with changes in the barometric pressure.
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I moved from the central coast of CA last year, & the weather was pretty perfect! Never too hot or cold, very low humidity. Unfortunately, the drawbacks of living there outweighed the climate for us: traffic, huge cost of living, overcrowded schools, tourist's wishes being given more consideration than the residents, etc. Now I live in Kansas City (where I'm lucky to have a house standing after this week's weather) with high summer temps & humidity, cold winters (tho not as cold & snowy as some places). I have definitely noticed how this weather affects my FM. But my stress level is DEFINITELY better, we love it here, except for the weather. So, I guess, like everything else in life, it's a trade-off...

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

I live in the UK where the weather is constantly changing.

I find all the extremes bad news. Do best in late spring and early autumn providing the other weather factors (including baromic pressure) are right.

Like others I know what the weather will be before I get up in the morning.

Cheers

Tansy
  9. Cara-Sue

Cara-Sue New Member

i find the weather to hit me worse then anything else.if it's damp,humid,cold,or windy it hurts.i am starting to dress for it now,and i wear lots of turtlenecks cause i seem to have pain in the back of my neck alot.it's real bad if the sun doesnt shine for a few days,then my mood get's me down,along with the pain.
    hope all this helps
    cara-sue
  10. Smokeymar

Smokeymar New Member

YES!!! I can tell when the weather is going to change better than the Weather Channel. When a low pressure front is moving in, the pain is so much worse!! The lower the barometer, the worse the pain is. Expecially on joints, and major sites of good old pain. This has been proven (to me) many many times. Between the arthritis and the fibro, it's a toss up as to which is going to kill me first!!!
  11. thunder_roze23

thunder_roze23 New Member

yes, yes, yes, the weather has a lot to do with the condition. I left Michigan at Christmas time and went to visit my sister in Arizona, what a change.. I was never so happy, no pain, didn't have to take my meds all the time.

Seriously thinking of moving there before winter sets in this year, and ENJOY THE SUN. The sun also helps with the serotonin in the brain. The more of the sun the better along with the vitamin D that it naturally gives you. I know we can't all live in a place that's always warm. But sometimes when winter is too bad, you can always just even for a few minutes go into a tanning bed and grab some warmth. Nothing to harm you, just once in a while when you need that light and warmth. Something to think about for us who have to deal with cold, rain, and snow.
  12. LadyMT

LadyMT New Member

that I seemed to get worse whenever there was a change in the weather. This was before I was diagnosed. I just thought "yeah, right that is silly". Then I realized he was right! Not only that but I have seen it listed on websites. Was I ever surprised!

Debbie
  13. dghoover

dghoover New Member

Mess me up, the pain is almost twice as bad as normal, I can't seem to get going at all when its hot & humid. DGH
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2003]
  14. Shirl

Shirl New Member

This weather is so crazy here, that my body is always in a 'flight or fight' mode!

It was over 90 degrees today, and you could cut the humidity with a knife!

I was going from a/c in the car to a/c in the stores, but wow, the walk inbetween was horrible!

I had four hot flushes today after getting in cold stores coming in out of the heat. What a misery!

My daughter and I burst out laughing about something in the store, and I got pains so bad in my ribcage, that she got scared for me, ran outside to the car to get my apple juice so I could take an Advil and a piece of Xanax, I was sitting down, and the pain got so bad I just put the piece of Xanax under my tongue hopeing it would work faster this way (that is one NASTY tasting stuff!).

It did, but I was shot for the rest of the shopping trip! This is one crazy illness. It hit that hard just because I laughed too hard! Now, I will have to be careful not to laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shalom, Shirl