IV antibiotics and insurance

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by m1she11e, Jun 4, 2009.

  1. m1she11e

    m1she11e New Member


    I decided to check back in with my LLMD who originally diagnosed me with Lyme a couple of years ago. It was an IGENEX test. I did oral antibiotics for about 4-6 months at that time. No better, no herx, no nothing. I then went down the HHV6 path but that reactivated some neuro symptoms. (My doctor did explain how the anti virals may have really stirred up the Lyme bugs)

    Today, after again speaking with the LLMD, he believes it is neurological Lyme and the only way of getting to the CNS is with IV antibiotics. He uses Rocephin 2X a week for 8-10 weeks (a mild approach for IV antibiotics for certain) along with the oral antibiotics and anti fungals. This is a doctor who prefers "alternative" medicine and doesnt like to give antibiotics at all. He just has found that once a person is dealing with the Lyme in the CNS only IV antibiotics can get to it. I do trust his opinion.

    Anyone have any luck getting insurance to pay for any of their IV antibiotic therapy?? If so, any advice?

    Thank you,
  2. Nanie46

    Nanie46 Moderator


    I haven't used IV antibiotics myself.

    I would just suggest that if you haven't posted this on lymenet.org's Medical Questions board, you should consider it since that board is very active and has lots of people with lots of experience.

    Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.
  3. m1she11e

    m1she11e New Member

    Thanks Nanie!! You are always so willing to help!

    Hopefully we will all find our way out of this awful illness!!!!

  4. KimDC

    KimDC New Member

    Hi, Michelle. My primary dr. told me that if she diagnoses me with late-stage lyme and documents my symptoms, my insurance HAS to pay for IV abx because it's a standard course of treatment for late-stage lyme. If you have neuro symptoms, I think you'll have no problem getting the IVs covered. I haven't started yet, so I haven't submitted it to my insurance yet. I'm starting after I finish treatment for babeosis. My insurance covered the Mepron, which was $900 and the Zithromax, which was $840.

    My LLMD has ordered 6 weeks of Rocephin, 4 grams per day, for 6 weeks and I don't have neuro symptoms. I have arthritic lyme, instead. I think if you're going to go through all the hassle of getting an IV, you should do the high dose and finally kill that lyme!

    Good luck!


[ advertisement ]