IV Sedation for MRI?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Harmony, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Harmony

Harmony New Member

Has anyone ever had IV Sedation for a closed MRI? If so, how did it go and would you recommend it since I am claustrophobic and will be in pain laying on my back. I want to hear from others who may have had it as I am trying to decide on whether to have the IV sedation for a closed MRI.

Love, Harmony

[This Message was Edited on 04/10/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/10/2003]
  2. Harmony

Harmony New Member

JUST BUMPING - THANKS
  3. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

But not IV. The doc gave me two valium. I don't remember what the strength was. I took one, an hour before the MRI was scheduled, and my mother in law took me in. I am claustrophobic, too. I felt fine, but then I didn't have back pain to deal with. The technician screwed up the first image and had to do another one. I didn't care. In fact I fell asleep. Tech said he'd never had someone fall asleep before. It's loud in there. By the way, it was for my wrist and my arm was stretched out above my head, uncomfortable. But I just didn't mind a bit, I would really reccommend the valium to anyone claustrophobic in a closed MRI. I was quite the happy camper in there.
    Tibbie
  4. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I also took 2 valium before the closed MRI (also claustrophobic). The Rx was for only 3 pills & I was told to bring them to the hospital with me. They told me when to take 2 of them. When I first got in the room I had a bit of panic, so the technician just let me lay there for a few minutes to relax. When I went in the machine I was so relaxed I really didn't care what they did!! I also fell asleep during the procedure. I'd recommend valium to anyone.

Good luck to you......Kathi
  5. Harmony

Harmony New Member

Thanks for your responses!
    I had the open MRI but now the Dr. is insisting on the closed since it shows more. I had a hard enough time in the open but I did make it ok. I tried the closed last week with taking 1 valium (5mg.) I was in for a few seconds, panicked and had the tech get me out! I should have taken more valium before I went. The Dr. did say I can have IV sedation at the hospital but was warned there is no Dr. there to monitor me and there is no guarantee it will work. That is why I was wandering about the safety of it and if anyone else had it. It of course costs a lot more too. But this may be the only way I can cope with it.
    Glad some of you made it fine with the valium. I feel like just forgetting about the whole thing. I don't need the stress which makes my fibro worse. The Dr. won't see me at my May 8th apt. until I have it. The open MRI did show I need a spinal fusion. Wish they could just go with the open.

Love, Harmony
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...since you panicked so badly the last time with a small dose. The worst experience I have probably ever had was a Valium IV for some minor surgery----I panicked bigtime like there was no tomorrow! Kicked, screamed, practically killed my doctor! Turned out I had a paradoxical reaction (more common in FMers than regular folks) to Valium. Surgery was done with general anesthetic, & I was fine. You could not get me near Valium with a ten-foot pole now....I make sure it's in every medical chart (even my eye doctor & podiatrist) I have & I quiz every doctor about the chemical structure of any potential med to see if it's even anything SIMILAR to Valium now....just make sure you actually can take it & it will have a calming effect, not make you MORE panicked....

I'm an nut-case, I think----I actually kind of like the dark MRI tube.....OK, I'm not wild about the jack-hammer sound...

Good Luck!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. Flibble

Flibble New Member

I have had to have an MRI twice and I needed the IV sedation both times. It worked out great for me. I can't stand it otherwise. I am not sure what they gave me but it worked like a charm. Good Luck! Flibble
  8. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I'm happy know the IV sedation worked good for you! Were you aware at all and did you hear the loud banging? I can't imagine being out so much it blocks the noise but hopefully it does. Most importantly, I am too claustrophic not to have IV. It's nice to know I am not alone. I go on the 29th. Glad to hear it helped you.

Harmony
  9. Harmony

Harmony New Member

What horrible experiences you had! I don't blame you for having the IV sedation. I can't believe the Tech left you in there when you were upset and the Dr. wouldn't give you anything, how terrible! When you had the IV sedation were you totally out and you didn't even hear the banging noise? Do they make sure you are out before they put you in?

Love, Harmony
  10. basket21

basket21 New Member

I have my first MRI coming on the 28th at 3:10 am. Is this
    sedation offered or do you have to ask ahead of time for it?
    How closed in is this machine? A cat scan is like going thru a donut and pretty wide open. Can you eleborate from there?
    thanks....basket21
  11. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

me if I was claustrophobic. I would make a point of making SURE that my doc knew and that he/she was aware that I needed to be sedated!!!
    I have a friend who is a veterinarian who doesn't like to take drugs unless they are absolutely necessary and he had a closed MRIfor his shoulder/rotator cuff. He was offered valium since he is claustrophopbic. Heck, he could have got some himself since he is a vet. But he toughed it out and he said it REALLY sucked. He says next time he'll take the darn valium!
    Anyway you would be wise to insist that you are claustrophobic and that you will need to be sedated. Call the doctor's office and talk to the nurse if necessary.
    Tibbie
  12. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Ct's are very wide open as you mention--no chance of claustraphobia there.
    However closed MRI's are long, and if you go in head first you cannot see the bottom your toes or the exit. The ceiling is very close to your face, the walls right up against you. My immediate impression when I was fully in....was that this is what it would feel like to lay in a coffin with the lid closed.
    I have back probs too.....if you are going to be in their ask for pillows under the knees. I also had trouble hearing the instructions from the tech with the first MRI (too many Led Zepplin Concerts in the 70's) and asked for headphones to communicate on the second. This helped immensely. You must ask to be medicated...speak to your doctor about this PRIOR to the MRI. Fortunately I had two eighty year old woman precede me...one with a walker, who came out chirping it was a piece of cake. Upon entering, the MRI I found out it wasn't, but I was determined if they didn't have to be pulled out I could stand it too...lol....it was tough, but I used my martial arts breathing to control myself. The second, I was better prepared, as I new it was a toughie, but I had made it through the first.
    I am claustraphobic...but stubborn I guess...lol...
    If you have any doubts ask to be medicated!
    Best wishes, LL
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2003]
  13. basket21

basket21 New Member

actually I could get a perfect picture from your description LL. It sounds pretty bad. They said it would take 35 minutes so that's a long time to be in there. I'll take your advice from both of you and get medicated.
    My appointment is at 3:10 in the AM as they are trying this, working 24 hours a day for month to get caught up and see if they have a lot of takers and then they'll do this all the time so people don't have to wait so long for an appointment.
    I'm in Canada, do you have 24 hours appointments in the States?
    I was thinking if I was medicated and so tired I might get lucky and fall asleep. I stay up at least till 1 am on a regular basis so when I go to bed I fall asleep instead of tossing and turning which I do if I go to bed earlier. I still wake up between 7 and 8 am. and no naps.
    Staying up another hour and then leaving cuz it takes about 40 minutes to get there, I should be starting to get real sleepy by the time of my test.
    The hospital also said if I cancel this appointment, it could be a long........time till I get another one.
    I appreciate you both filling me in.
    Take care..........basket21
  14. Harmony

Harmony New Member

Looks like we are having our MRI's a day apart from each other! Let us know how it goes for you.

If you want to have the IV sedation like I am having, you have to have it in the hospital, at least here you do. I have tried the valium route, but it is not enough for me.
    The Dr. is the one that suggested the IV sedation and made arrangements for it. I never had the IV sedation for it so that is new to me, but knowing how claustrophobic I am, that is what I am going to do. As the others mentioned, taking valium helped them a lot so it will probably be good for you too. My best to you on your MRI.

Love, Harmony

P.S. If you take valium or anything to sedate you, I know here you are told you have to have someone with you to drive you home. I don't know of any 24 hr. places here that do MRI'S, that's interesting. They do have 7 days a week, 7am-9pm. I can't imagine going 3am! But like I said, I am having it done at the hospital and they only do the IV sedation for MRI's two times out of the day, M-F. [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2003]
  15. Harmony

Harmony New Member

Thanks for answering Monica, even though you are so tired.
    I appreciate you help! I just hope I am not awake enough to know I am there or at least not enough to care. I heard the stuff they give you makes you lose your memory LOL I don't need that with my fibro fog! That's good you at least don't remember much of the experience! I hope you can catch up on your sleep. :)

Love, Harmony
  16. Flibble

Flibble New Member

Harmony, I was sort of still awake during the MRI. I could hear the thumping but I did not care. It just felt like a pleasant, relaxing time. The IV makes you just so sleepy and calm. I tried the just Xanax route once and it wasn't enough. I toughed it out but I would never do it without the IV again. The machine is just so closed in like a coffin. You will like the IV. Time passes very fast and before you know it it is over. Good Luck! Flibble
  17. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I finally had the MRI with IV sedation yesterday! They gave me versed and fentanyl. I also had oxygen and was hooked up to monitor my blood pressure and vitals. For some reason they couldn't give me music but I had earplugs. I also could hear the tech talking to me. Still it was loud but I didn't care. I was still awake enough to know what was going on, but I didn't care because I was so relaxed. They even let my husband sit at the end and hold my feet which I liked a lot. I was in recovery for 1/2 hr. My vitals were good so I was sent home. I still feel the effects of the sedation, drowsy and dizzy, but they said it could take up to 48 hrs. to get it out of my system. But I am always sensitive to meds. I would highly recommend the IV sedation for anyone else who is claustrophobic. I would do it again if I had to. Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and advice. Basket21, how did the MRI go for you?

Love, Harmony

[This Message was Edited on 04/30/2003]