I've been researching B12

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunflowergirl, Oct 12, 2012.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

and find that there is a right and wrong type of B12 to take. Here's one link to read on it but there are also links on the B12 you can find on this page.

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

sunflowergirl - lack of folate as well as lack of B12 can cause the macrocytic anemia referred to in the article. Everyone usually thinks of folic acid is being sufficient but it's not - there's a very large percentage of the population who have difficulty converting folic acid, which is synthetic, into a form usable by the body, and hence develop macrocytic anemia, which can be caused by a B12 and/or a folate deficiency. Folic acid can actually cause a folate deficiency because it competes for absorption with folate.

I'd taken B12 for years but my energy did not pick up until I started taking folate in the form of l-methlfolate or metafolin (Solgar makes a good one).

If your MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is high, even though in the "normal" range, this can indicate a B12 and/or folate deficiency. Mine was high for many years but no doctor ever pointed this out or told me I should try taking folate in addition to the B12.

It is important to take folate together with B12, because folate alone can mask symptoms of a B12 deficiency.

3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Good to know about folic acid......so much to remember! I did a search for foods high in this. Looks like I'll have to eat cooked spinach once a day. I already consume avocado almost daily.

4. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

exactly what my b-12 levels were but they were in the thousands which was very high. The doctor told me it meant nothing and doctors don't do anything about it. Later on reading about the methylation theory of illness, it would make sense that our b-12 is high. I have also read in the medical literature that there are cases where b-12 can be high because the person body is having difficulty converting it to the active forms. The body interprets this as a deficiency and restricts b-12 excretion thus causing the levels in the blood to build.

It is interesting stuff no doubt.