I've blown out 4 lightbulbs this week

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by satchya, Apr 8, 2009.

1. satchya

satchya New Member

I started a flare this weekend (overdid it on Friday, should have known better but I'm still learning how this whole stupid illness works). Since then I've blown out four different lightbulbs when I flipped the switch on, in different fixtures, in different parts of the house.

My family has teased me before about how I'm the only one in our home this happens to, and I just started wondering if it happens because I'm in the middle of a flare? I know that sounds kind of hocus-pocus and like I should be wearing a tinfoil hat, but it seems to always happen that way, so I'm wondering if any of you have had the same thing happen?

All my life I've had problems getting my watches to keep time, and finally stopped wearing them altogether. Wonder if it's connected?

2. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Wow u have to wonder if there is a connection to this. LIke some chemical causing this problem with eletriccity. I just thought it was a ghost. LOL Ruthie
  3. lonna1

lonna1 New Member

I know what you mean. I had to stop wearing watches too. They would either run backward, run fast forward or stop altogether. My family or anyone else could not understand. Same thing with lights. Always wondered what caused it. It started as a very young child and I'm 75 now. Am glad that I am not the only one and still wonder what causes it.
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

My sister and I were just talking about this

I destroy anything electrical, in cars, homes (tvs, computers, radios, you name it)

It is so bizarre!!!
  5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

This is so odd--and true for me as well. I am always the one blowing out lightbulbs in the house, and my watches often lose time. I have two good watches that I wear on a daily basis (one's a Wittnauer and the other is a Bulova so I know they're decent watches) and I have to replace the batteries on each of them at least twice a year. The lady in the jewelry store laughs when she sees me coming. You again!

Interestingly, my sister knows this woman who is some type of holistic healer or something. She told my sister that you should never, ever wear a wristwatch on your left wrist--that there is some type of magnetic pathway to the heart and it could send unsafe impulses to the heart.

I find this all very intriguing. I have seen some shows on TV (I believe it was one of my old favorites like Unsolved Mysteries) that profiled individuals who possessed some of these characteristics and the odd situations that occurred in their lives because of this. Imagine the show that a few of us could put together!

6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I get little shocks (I can sometimes see sparks) when I touch a radiator or unlock the car etc when I am in a flare.

I thought it was just me!!

Love Bunchy x
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I can just picture you in a tin foil hat. I finally figured out what this happens to me. When I first move, I put all the lights in at the same time so they tend to wear out at the same time. Same thing with my recessed lighting. My apartment was just remodeled before I moved in.

Are you allergic to nickel? I am and have to be careful with what kind of jewlry I wear. I wonder if that would screw up things. I also sweat under the jewlry when I get an allergic reaction and then break out.

On the other hand, you might want to think seriously about the tin foil hat,,LOL!!

Take care.
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

is a dose of reality.

Anybody know a store where you can buy tin foil?

Didn't think so.

In the meantime, better buy your light bulbs at the 99 cent store.

9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

IMHO, reality is overated!!

10. rockgor

I think you're right. Lately I've found, the older I get, the more everything is overrated.

Here's a little humor I found on the net this morning:

Minnesota: the land of many cultures. Mostly throat.

The greatest source of wisdom for young people is the T-shirt.

11. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

You want tin foil? Order it here - http://tinyurl.com/d9fs35...and then you can make all of us some lovely hats. ;) (don't ever dare me to find something online - I'll obsessively look until I find it or prove it can't be found)

In a very short period of time, we (two of us in the house, both with FM) blew out our air conditioner, our refrigerator, my desktop computer power supply, both of our pool motors, and had a fire (terrifying!) in one of our outlets from a space heater that we'd been using safely for years. Over the years, we've destroyed a lot of small appliances. I don't know if the appliances were crappy or if we're just magically dangerous.
  12. rockgor

No thanks, don't want any tin foil. Alas, I have no millinery skills. Can't even make a hat (boat)
    from newspaper.

I remember during WWII folks saved foil from
    cigarette packages. The govt used it for bombs or K-rations or something.

The only thing I don't understand in your post is the reference to pool motors. Swimming pools?
    Plural swimming pools?

Anyhoo, thanks for the warning. If I ever have a housewarming, I'll be sure not to invite you.
    I guess it would be safe to have you over for a backyard bar-b-q, huh?

We could have spam (also an important part of WWII) on a skewer w/ those other things
    that get stuck on skewers and rum drinks w/ little umbrells. Wear your sarong or Hawaiian
    shirt. Bring your friend.

13. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I blow out light bulbs, stop watches, screw up reception on my cell phone (most of the time I use the speaker phone and set it down so I can talk on it), interrupt my wireless internet connection, and get shocked on a regular basis. And all of this isn't just when I'm in a flare up. It's all the time, for as long as I can remember. I also corrode metals if they are not pure.

Oh yeah, and the battery in my laptop doesn't last as long as it should if I'm the one using it.

Maybe part of our problem is we are too electrically charged?

14. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

I think this is a very interesting phenomenon, and it is reported by many PWCs.

Here is a hypothesis for it that may or may not be valid (I'm enlarging on Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker's explanation):

It's based on the concept of a capacitor (also called a condensor) in electronics.

In its simplest form, a capacitor consists of two conducting plates with an insulating material (dielectric) sandwiched between them.

If a source of electrical potential is connected to a capacitor, so that one plate is positively charged and the other is negatively charged, current will flow for a while, and energy will be stored in the dielectric in the form of an electric field. If the power source is then disconnected, depending on how good the insulating material is, the energy can be stored in it for a long time, and one of the plates will remain at a positive potential (voltage) relative to the other.

O.K., now consider the human body, and in particular the skin. Suppose the person sweats, so that salts are deposited on the outside surface of the skin, effectively forming a conductive plate. The skin itself serves as an electrical insulator. Inside the skin are body fluids, such as the extracellular fluid and the blood, and these are conductive, because of the presence of ions of various substances, such as sodium and chloride ions. So what we now have is a large capacitor, the size of the body itself.

Now, how would this be different for a PWC as compared to a normal, healthy person? The key difference is that many PWCs have diabetes insipidus (not the same as diabetes mellitus, which involves insulin and blood sugar). Diabetes insipidus is caused in CFS by too low a secretion of the hormone vasopressin (aka antidiuretic hormone), which I believe is caused by glutathione depletion in the hypothalamus. The result is that many PWCs have a high daily urine volume, and even though they are constantly thirsty and therefore drink a lot of fluids, they are not able to keep up with the water loss to the urine. The result of this is that their blood is low in water, and thus relatively concentrated in salts (high osmolality). This causes their sweat to be more concentrated in salts, and that causes the resulting layer on the skin's surface to be more electrically conductive.

This in turn causes the body to have an effectively higher capacitance (measured in farads or microfarads), because there is better electrical connectivity within the effective outer plate of the capacitor, and it also causes it to be able to discharge with a higher current when a conductor at a differnt electrical potential is touched, because of the better conductivity, giving the sensation of an electric shock.

Electronic circuits are sensitive to surges of electrical current, which are produced when a capacitor discharges. I suspect that that is the mechanism that causes the problems the PWCs have reported, at least in the low-voltage electronic devices. I'm not sure how this mechanism would affect the more robust 115-volt devices, such as normal light bulbs, because I don't think it would involve enough charge to hurt them, so that's a puzzle.

How does the human body become charged in the first place? I think there are a variety of mechanisms. One of them is the contact of dissimilar materials, which happens when shoes are in contact with flooring materials, or when clothing is in contact with chairs. This charge transfer happens because different materials have different chemical potentials of their electrons (same as the Fermi level in a metal). When two dissimilar materials come into contact, the levels have to match, and that requires a transfer of electrons from one to the other. Then, when the materials are pulled apart, energy is stored in the dielectric material in the form of an electric field. There are also ions in the air, and there may be different rates of accretion of positive and negative ions on the surface of the skin, because of differences in ionic mobility in the air.

Interestingly, some practitioners are now finding that "grounding" their patients brings them benefits. Some people sleep under conductive sheets that are electrically connected to the earth, in order to drain off electrical charges. Dr. David Gersten has written me that he has found this to be helpful for some of his patients.

Anyway, that's something to ponder.

15. sk8enscars

sk8enscars New Member

Oh man... wouldn't it be something if there was a connection? My whole life I've been the one with the strange electrical energy. When I would handle electronics they would get errors on them that nobody's ever seen and I'd like to think I'm pretty good with technology. I'm still convinced I caused my neighbor's house to be struck by lightning simply by being there. :)
  16. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This could really be true? Geese, I was just joking!! Just when you think you have seen everything........

I still like my theory that it is because we tend to put in the bulbs at the same time.

I wonder how we could make this into a double blind test?

17. nixon

nixon New Member

I'm LEFT handed, ALWAYS wear my watch on my left hand......have for years!! I just developed this DD....FMS/CFS about 5 yrs. ago.

Never have I suspected my watch as causing me problems!!

I did watch a program recently on TLC about a couple people that are ELECTRICALLY CHARGED, they turn things on with just their finger......weird STUFF, Hard to EXPLAIN!!!!!!!!

I guess it's JUST ANOTHER ONE of OUR WEIRD QUIRKS ( although I don't have this problem!!)
  18. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am left handed but have always worn my watch on my right wrist.

I have not worn a watch since before this DD. I am allergic to the nickel in most jewelry though there is nickel free jewelry. The cheap ones still affect me, and the others are too expensive. I am also sensitive to anything touching my neck, even my wrists. I can however, still wear my Tiara.

BILLCAMO New Member

Before I go sick , I would blow out wrist watches , light bulbs , and the like with great regularity. Now , I seem to extend the life of many of them. Is there some way I could plug myself into the "electrical grid" AND get some credit for doing so ? ;>)

Blessings ,

20. nixon

nixon New Member

Glad you can still wear the tiara!!!!!!!!!!

I was always allergic to "cheap jewelry" it would break my wrist & fingers out. The stuff I wear now has to be of high quality!!

If I in a BAD flare, I don't usually wear jewelry, heck I barely get out of my PJs when I'm THAT BAD!!!