I've broken my butt! (ouch!!)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by emttoni, Sep 22, 2002.

1. emttoni

emttoni New Member

First of all, I would like to thank everyone that has made me feel so welcome in the chat room. It sure helps to know you aren't alone when you are dealing with something like this!

Second, wanted to know if anyone has experienced a broken tailbone?!? I started having pain in the tailbone area a few weeks ago and it kept getting worse and worse so I finally went in to see the dr. (not real trusting of the old md if you get my drift). Anyway, after asking if and when I had fallen on my butt (never) he ordered xrays and said it had broken and healed crooked! So they gave me Toradol for 5 days and now am on demerol until I have cat scan on Monday to see if there is something else going on. Who knows?? All I know is it hurts to sit for more than 10 minutes and it hurts to stand for more than 10 minutes so I am doing alot of laying down - but then with the pain pills maybe that's a good thing to do! lol

If anyone can give me info on this I would appreciate it. From what the dr. are saying its looking like I am going to have to have it removed because they can't go in and fix it like a regular broken bone. I told the dr. that I hurt all the time in other places as it is but right now, as long as I can get rid of this more serious pain I can deal with the other aches and pains I have. They kind of feel like nothing compared to this tailbone pain.

Thanks all for reading my first post and making me feel so welcome here! ((((((((((((HUGS TO ALL!))))))))))))
  2. emttoni

emttoni New Member

First of all, I would like to thank everyone that has made me feel so welcome in the chat room. It sure helps to know you aren't alone when you are dealing with something like this!

Second, wanted to know if anyone has experienced a broken tailbone?!? I started having pain in the tailbone area a few weeks ago and it kept getting worse and worse so I finally went in to see the dr. (not real trusting of the old md if you get my drift). Anyway, after asking if and when I had fallen on my butt (never) he ordered xrays and said it had broken and healed crooked! So they gave me Toradol for 5 days and now am on demerol until I have cat scan on Monday to see if there is something else going on. Who knows?? All I know is it hurts to sit for more than 10 minutes and it hurts to stand for more than 10 minutes so I am doing alot of laying down - but then with the pain pills maybe that's a good thing to do! lol

If anyone can give me info on this I would appreciate it. From what the dr. are saying its looking like I am going to have to have it removed because they can't go in and fix it like a regular broken bone. I told the dr. that I hurt all the time in other places as it is but right now, as long as I can get rid of this more serious pain I can deal with the other aches and pains I have. They kind of feel like nothing compared to this tailbone pain.

Thanks all for reading my first post and making me feel so welcome here! ((((((((((((HUGS TO ALL!))))))))))))
  3. diggity

diggity New Member

Sounds just awful emttoni. What a terrible place to have a broken bone. Your title made me laugh, but I know it isn't funny. Have you figured out how you broke it yet? I can sorta feel for you though, I have had some pretty bad pain in that area when I sit too long. I like to sit on the floor, it's easier for me to get up that when I sit in a chair. Butt (lol) sitting on the floor can really do a job on a tailbone. Anyway, hope they can do something to make you feel better really soon. Can't imagine what surgery would be like for a problem such as yours. Good luck, and hope your pain is gone soon. :eek:)
  4. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I know where you are coming from! Several years back I woke up to go into work and as I stood up out of bed-I hit the floor! Was in excruciating pain in the leg and hip area. Went to the doctor and he said it was a "stress fracture". So you are not alone in having a fracture from unknown cause. Hope you get better soon! There was nothing they could do for me (they said) except tell me to be in bed for 8 weeks and give me pain pills. Doc said I was too young to have hip surgery----LOL---too young! Anyway I still have trouble with that hip!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  5. maxtout

maxtout New Member

....I suffered with tailbone pain for well over a year. I thought I had broken it or bruised it. Xrays were taken and showed nothing unusual, but it was still painful to sit and you don't realize how much pressure you exert on your tailbone just by standing up! Ouch!! Pain meds only took the edge off my pain, it never really got rid of it. Of all the different types of pain I've experienced with this condition, I'd have to say the tailbone pain was the worst. I just took it as easy as I could and sat on a special wedge, pillow-like seat, that has an area cut out for the tailbone. It was the only comfortable way I could sit as long as nothing came near putting any pressure on my tailbone. That little pillow went everywhere with me and gradually the pain began to go away. With Fibro, we tend to experience pain more severely than other people and it seems like little strains, sprains and bumps take longer to to go away too. I've since learned not to sit for any prolonged period of time in one position, especially on a hard surface, such as a wooden bench. In a book on fibromyalgia that I had read, "coccygodynia," (taibone pain)was listed as a condition possibly related to fibromyalgia. I hope you find relief from that awful pain soon. Take care and take it easy, babying yourself is okay.
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

to have my butt removed?

Sounds good to me!!!

Just kidding.

I have that same pain today, just started. I been using heat pad & ultram & muscle relaxer and hubby's massage. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wishing to be buttless
  7. lease79

lease79 New Member

You poor thing, that must be rather uncomfortable :(
    Tails bones can be broken by falls, but also during childbirth should not be ruled out if it is applicable to you.
    Goodluck & I really hope that something can be done to relieve it ;)

Lease
  8. SaraD

SaraD New Member

I have had pain since I can remember, fell in high school but probably given birth 4 times flared it up or made it worse. Went to a chiro and he said, you know your tailbone's broken and has been for a long time and fused the way it is now and he can push it in some because it basically sticks out down there and does hurt to sit or stand for even a short length of time. ANYWAY, I can feel like a ball almost on the left side that isn't there on the right so I know he's right, but after he adjusted me I went home and sat on the floor with my son and couldn't move from the hips down for hours so I never went back, I just deal with it, like everything else. Just nice to hear I am not alone! Thanks for posting and talking about your Butt!!!
    Sarad