I've developed a strange habit..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 3sa, Sep 15, 2008.

1. 3sa

3sa New Member

Hello everybody. I need to tell someone , and I hope you can help me figure this out. I have started scratching my arms till they bleed. Like I will get a bug bite and scratch at it. It never gets a chance to heal. I have 6 spots on my forearms. It's embarrassing. I don't know why I do this. These spots are starting to hurt, & I have put band aids on them. I just think I'm going nuts. With all the other stuff I have to deal with I do this to myself. These spots are not all bug bites. I just dig at my skin. I've been doing this for about 2 months , but it is getting worse. I'm not taking any new meds. I'm taking cymbalta, mobic, ultram,doxipin.
    Am I just crazy?
  2. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

something is going on with your nerves. I'm having similar
    prob and was planning on asking about this too. So I hope we both can get an answer. In the meantime, you can do what I'm doing and find an herbal tea that soothes the nervous system: Tension Tamer by Celestial Seasons, or Oatstraw, Scullcap, Valerian can be found at a health food store.
  3. 3sa

3sa New Member

I love that tea. Thanks, I never thought of that. I'm going to give it a try.
    Thank you so much for responding. I was starting to feel like I was going off the deep end. :)
  4. cordy250

cordy250 Member

I do seem to have repeated itchy spots that I will scratch until raw unless I do something different. Some of them are the aftermath of shingles that I had many, many years ago.

What I usually do is force myself to put benadryl gel on them and not scratch until it takes effect. I like the gel because it cools. Sometimes it stings if I have scratched too much before I put it on, but even that is better than itching.
  5. Exfa

Exfa New Member

Maybe you are having an allergic reaction to some of those medications. Many medications cause a rash or itching of the skin. Call a pharmacist if you don't have the "info" papers that come with your meds. Exfa
  6. Esperanza25

Esperanza25 New Member

For a few weeks already my neck itches all the time and I scratch to the point of make it red and painful...but I don't make it bleed. I was thinking that it was the medication but I stopped the medication and I'm still itching. I have not yet seen the doctor but if it persists I will be making an appt.
  7. Engel

Engel New Member

no fun ... and looks gross
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

You don't sound crazy to me :~) I agree with those who suggest it could be tension/stress/nerves.

There is a compulsive disorder that matches what you are doing and, since it's a new behavior, you might want to nip it in the bud if you can. The more entrenched it is, the harder it is to stop. Two months is not long; this is the best time to shake it.

Since it's a new habit, it might be a result of your med.s. If you google "skin picking" you should get some info. You might try to find out if it can be med. related.

Compulsive disorders can be difficult to shake but given the number of med.s you're on it seems quite likely to me that they are a factor even if you are not on anything new.

Peace(ful fingers) to you,
  9. 3sa

3sa New Member

I now have band aids all over my arms. I look funny. I'll call my family Dr. to see if it's an allergy or reaction, but I've been on all my meds for a year now , with the exception of the Ultram. I started it 6 days ago.
  10. poets

poets Member

If you google neurodermatitis, I think you'll see what's going on. I've had it for five years on my feet and just when I think I can quit scratching, something stresses me out and I start to itch and scratch again. I had it confirmed by a dermatologist. (Who told me I HAD to quit scratching.) That's easier said than done, because the itching can be maddening! It also goes by the name of Lichen Simplex.

It's harmless, but sure makes you miserable and it's ugly. I haven't gone barefoot all summer!

11. 3sa

3sa New Member

Neurodermatitis seems to make sense. Now to get the tea & stop scratching.
  12. Alycia07

Alycia07 New Member

I dont remember where I read this but I read something that said some symptoms of FM could be developing crystals under the skin that will make you want to dig them out. If I find it again I will post it. Good luck
  13. findmind

findmind New Member

When I have this, I call them "viral bumps"; they are mostly around my neck.

The only thing that stops the itching for me is aloe vera gel; it cools, soothes, and stops the itching fast!

You must stop scratching, or they could get infected; then who knows, MRSA?

gET A HANDLE on it now, and I think you'll be ok.

Also have heard it could be liver problems.

14. poets

poets Member

You've scared me! I needed to be reminded of MRSA. I think I'll break out the Valerian root and STOP scratching. Some Lanacaine couldn't hurt either I guess! Boy is it miserable!

15. wendysj

wendysj New Member

This may have nothing to do with it but... My grandma said when she was younger she would scratch until she was bleeding. Years later, the doctors said it was due to anxiety. They said it was her bodies way of getting out her anxiety.

It was just a thought...

Good luck.

INITAHUG New Member

I kinda have the same problem, but I havent scratched till I bleed. I comes on all at once and its like a bite and them when I scratch at it, it hurts really bad, and the more I scratch it turns into a big red welt. But before I let my self scratch it raw I make myself stop, but its very sore like a bruse for a couple days after.
    Iam on one of the same meds as you and that is cymbalta, I started it abouts 2months ago, and I started doing this about 2 weeks now, and I thought I was crazy to!!
  17. 3sa

3sa New Member

I tried the tea today. I did notice when I had my arms bandaged that I was clenching my jaw. I don't know if it is a side effect of the meds, but at least I don't feel like I'm losing it.
    Sometimes it feels like with all the things that are wrong with my body , that I must be imagining it. Nobody else see it , hears it ( constant noise in my head) or feels it. Then I come here and it's like a light bulb turning on. I'm not alone,or useless,or crazy.
    Sorry if it doesn't make sense. I'm crying now & think I should just go to bed.
    Thank you everybody. It's nice to not feel alone.
  18. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Is when I do the scratching.....seems like every part of me is itching....there is no rash but it still itches.
    I do it awake and asleep....my husband will catch me and wake me to stop me....but as soon as I drift off I start scratching. Have been doing it a few months now.

Also I will put my hand up to scratch or just reach for something...while I am sleeping and leave it up....and it doesn't drop down in place on its own. My hubby will lay it back down if he is awake to see it....but I eventually put it back up in some fashion not soon after.

There is no way to get a normal nights sleep!!! Has anyone else had these problems??

*Good day* to ALL,
  19. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Not to scare you, but it sounds like you have developed a compulsive disorder.

This could be from your meds.

Zoloft is a good AD that will help with compusive disorders as well as anxiety.

If this is what you have it is mild, but as someone mentioned above, the sooner it is taken care of, the better the prognosis.

I have seen people who have been treated and they do fine. But it is relative to how you are before starting medication.

I have seen clients scratch or wash their hands so raw that they got to the point of getting infections.

I would talk to our doctor about this. You are not crazy but may have a chemical imbalance that is causing this.

This is a medical problem and not a mental health problem.

I may be completely wrong here, but I think it is important to get it taken care of. The scrathing must be miserable.

Take care. Keep us posted.

20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Try mixing 5% good quality tea tree oil in a body lotion and applying to where the itches/sores are.

I have had 'crawling skin' sensations that drive me batty for the past 20 years & have just found out I have Lyme disease.