I've given up on Olive Leaf Extract

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna13210, Jul 1, 2003.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I've been taking it for two months now, (1000 to 1200 mgs daily) with no impressive results. I'm SO disappointed. It helped with my IBS-like symptoms and a bit with sinus congestion. But for me, it's not worth pursuing.

Just another one in a series of "things to try" THAT WORK FOR SO MANY OTHERS, but not for me!

Sorry to be so negative, but can't help it right now. Every time I get excited about trying something new and it doesn't help much, I feel more hopeless.

Oh well.

2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Donna, don't know if you should give up yet? I haven't tried OLE yet, but here's my experience with magnesium:

Started it the end of October. I took 90 whole milligrams at lunch. Couldn't sleep for my nap and actually had energy later. The next day, decided I should only take 30mg at breakfast, but still felt energized until about 5 p.m. Woo-hoo! (And wired, too, which I didn't like, but the energy felt so good I didn't care!) Well, it was a great 30 hours....

Because it was interfering with my naps, I decided to only take 30mg 3xday and then gradually worked up to one 300mg capsule. Well, in February I finally noticed I had more energy. Nothing like those 30 hours, but anything was an improvement! The fact that I started digestive enzymes in December might have had something to do with better magnesium absorption. Or it might not have, and my magnesium was just so depleted it took that long to really have an effect.

Anyway, since I haven't tried OLE yet, this might not apply to you. But maybe you just need to give it more time.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

it didn't do a lot for me and I thougt I'd reacted to it but perhaps my dose was too high. I'm persueing other things at the moment and then I will try it again. I think I tried it too early too so am aiming to break down the firin now. Once I feel the time is right I'm going to give it another go.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/02/2003]
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

This may actually be GOOD news!
    The fact that you felt nothing different on such high doses of OLE may mean that you have no parasites, no viral load, no candidiasis, and no stealth bacterial infections.
    That would be one or more less body burdens to have to remove in order to improve your condition.
    Have you worked on the hormonal angle yet? I have found that to be a very big piece of the puzzle for me.
    Try not to get discouraged. I've been trying different things for 17+ yrs. now and am still ill, but if I give up, I will sink into depression. As long as I'm trying, there is still hope, and I really do believe that.
    Klutzo
  5. StarrLover

StarrLover New Member

Oh God Donna!

I tried one dose of Olive Leaf and became soooo sick to my stomach I swore it off forever. Do you mean I could have the parasites swimming around and having a party in my tummy at MY expense and that's why I got sick???? Please say it ain't so?? ~Sparrow
  6. donna13210

donna13210 Member

ELAINE: You sure have patience, taking magnesium over 3 months before seeing any real results! I'm glad it's helping you.

KLUTZO: You're right! Perhaps I can eliminate those possible contributing factors. you're such a positive person! I have to do more reading on the hormonal angle, but I'm not going to give up, don't worry.

SPARROW: I'm no expert on OLE...not sure if it's possible it could evoke such a bad reaction after just one dose. Or maybe you experienced an "allergic"-type reaction to it (sensitivity)? If you did a post on this, I'm sure you'd get some better informed responses!

Thanks to all and take care
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I agree with Klutzo, that if you are not seeing improvement on those high of doses after that long, it probably is not worth continuing...

I was wondering if people who do not herx would experience significant improvement..Did you ever Herx, to any extent?

I believe the HPA axis is very important part of these diseases..and I need to explore that area, more, too..

Good Luck with exploration in those areas,
    Plantscaper
  8. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I didn't take magnesium for that long because I was patient! I took it because the hair/blood analyses done in 2000 BOTH showed that I was 2SD (standard deviations) below normal for magnesium. So I figured even if I didn't feel any better on it I needed it anyway.
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Have you tried Magnesium by IV from a holistic doctor? I've heard one person here say they worked magic. It seems we have trouble assimiliating Magnesium, along with all our other problems.
    Klutzo
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

because I'm sure this is becoming a progressively more significant factor in my current problems. I thought I could leave it for a while and see how addressing the hypercoagulation/infections helped but realise it has to be dealt with now before asking yet more of my body.

If one has hypercoagulation, chronic infections, allergies, candida etc for many years it puts one hell of a strain on our bodies. Research has also shown this axis is abnormal in cfs.

A lot of contributors to the board have benefitted from treating these, where relevant doing so would lessen the stresses on our bodies and enable us to heal better.

Cheers

Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 07/03/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2003]