I'VE GOT A QUESTION...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HURTSALOT2, Mar 15, 2003.

1. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

Are any of you going to group therapy with other Fibromyalgia patients? If you are, is it helping? My GP doctor has sent me to a Psychiatry / Pain Management doctor. I was a little nervous having never gone to this type of doctor. It turned out it wasn't so bad. He seems very caring and told me that after a couple of single visits he would like me to come to group therapy. He prescribed some new Rx's for me and I will see him again in 4 weeks. I am a little nervous about the group therapy but feel that if it helps it will be worth it. I have not met anyone with Fibromyalgia. Guess I will meet some in a month or two. Take care.
    HURTSALOT2

2. healing

healing New Member

Hurts, you are in the middle of a lot of group therapy here, whether you know it or not. And through this forum, you've met a lot of folks with FM. This is what it's like -- sharing experiences and information, receiving support and encouragement, and getting through it with grace and humor. I think it will be great for you! Sounds like you have a good doc.
  3. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

Did the Dr say it was going to be FMS patients? That's cool, if that's what he has going. Let us know how it goes. I was offered group therapy, but it was not for chronic pain, it was for depression & I felt that it would not help me. Guess I was/am feeling vulnerable around being around people & having to explain my pain when I 'don't look sick'- you know how that is! So I did not go to the group therapy. I did start 1-on-1 counseling, but that did not work out either, as my counselor was one of those that wanted me to 'get in touch w/my inner child' & I did not want to relive the past & wanted to be able to deal w/my present & future. So I come hear now & read & write & it seems to work just fine for me. Take care!
    Pixie
  4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

don't want to, but that's a personal preference for me. I prefer to not be in a group discussing all the aches and pains and misunderstanding that goes along with this disease. I prefer this forum and the chat room associated with this board. It's what works for me. dolsgirl
  5. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

Sorry, Healing, I guess I should have said, never met someone with Fibromyalgia in person. I am so grateful to have found this message board and all the great people such as yourself. I agree with you that I am receiving group therapy here, but my doctor thinks I need more. My doctor is a very caring and wonderful person.

Tattopixie, yes, he said that the group of people I will meet also have Fibromyalgia. It will be the first time I meet anyone in person with this DD. Wish me luck.

Dolsgirl, I don't blame you. If this works for you why try anything else. It does help me too, but my doctor feels I need more help. If I get uncomfortable about being part of this I will not continue going. I am sure my doctor will understand and not push the issue. She is the greatest doctor I have ever had. I have also been in the chat room quite a few times. I really do enjoy it. Everyone here is so friendly. I am so happy to communicate with all of you.
    Take care.
    HURTSALOT2