I've got the flu

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Oct 16, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

My worst fear this yr, I have been so afraid of the flu this yr, it is my first winter coming up with Fibro & I have never before had to worry about my immune system. My 8 yo son probably picked up a bug at school, he does not seem to be sick and my hubby has a touch of it, does not seem to be serious, definitely not the really painful variety, it was pretty bad this am but less now. Chicken soup & lots of rest today.

I have not had a flu shot this yr and I am afraid to get one.

Just wanted to throw this out there, I know the influenza virus can be a nasty one.

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

My worst fear this yr, I have been so afraid of the flu this yr, it is my first winter coming up with Fibro & I have never before had to worry about my immune system. My 8 yo son probably picked up a bug at school, he does not seem to be sick and my hubby has a touch of it, does not seem to be serious, definitely not the really painful variety, it was pretty bad this am but less now. Chicken soup & lots of rest today.

I have not had a flu shot this yr and I am afraid to get one.

Just wanted to throw this out there, I know the influenza virus can be a nasty one.

Jaci
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I am so sorry you're having to go through this as well. I wouldn't consider the flu shot until you're completely asymptomatic of this bug. However, I take the flu shot every year since I am immunosuppressed and I work as a nurse. Our doc offices have the fluvacc already, but our hospital, where I work hasn't even ordered theirs yet and I'm ALWAYS sick already when we get our free ones there! I just wait til I feel better and then I take it. I'd be afraid not to take this or the pneumovacc....I don't need MORE trouble!
    Chill and take care of thyself, girl!!!! Sending prayers and good thoughts your way!
    Love,
    Kady
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I get the flu shot every year & have for the past 11 years. I started because my hubby's in high risk group due to diabetes, and also our daughter got so sick from flu at age 18 months that she lost 15% of her body weight (hard on a baby especially). So we started getting the flu shots, including my daughter from 2 years on. In all that time we've never gotten the flu (none of us). I was dx with FMS 3 1/2 yrs. ago, so I have gotten the flu shot both before & after. I really swear by it, and have never noticed any reaction to it save a slightly sore arm for a couple of days--but no worse than any other type of shot. I know others here don't like them, but I have enough days of flu-like feelings to deal with. Don't need REAL flu w/risk of high fever, dehydration, etc. on top of that! Obviously you DON'T want a flu shot until you recover fully from this bout. Hope you are feeling much better soon--take care of yourself!!

Pam