I've had the flu, can't believe the pain I've been in

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lease79, Jul 31, 2003.

1. lease79

lease79 New Member

I've always thought that having Chronic Fatigue & FMS was like having the flu all the time. But having the flu ontop of the other conditions is mindblowing.
    I don't usually catch colds, or viruses that the children pick up from kindy or school. I think it's the whole hyper immune thing. But I have an absolutely ripper case of the flu & I'm debating if I've ever felt so sick in my life
    It started about a week & a half ago & felt like just a cold, but about 4 days ago it got HEAPS worse.
    I've had a fever of 40.1oC, though I've felt freezing, sweats day & night, I go from freezing to boiling & this happens numerous times throughout the day, my tonsils are red & swollen but it's not tonsilitis, I feel like I'm swallowing razors, my head feels like cotton wool (MUCH worse than usual) & if I cough I'm in agony from the pain in my head & throat. My neck aches, my back aches, my legs ache, I can't sleep cause I can't get comfortable for the pain, my nose is really congested, the post nasal drip is soooooo bad I can't believe it, my throats on fire & so are my eyes. So basically I'm feeling REAAAALLLY sick
    I'm still breastfeeding my baby, but it is a real challenge. He's had a cold & with a breast stuck up his snuffley nose, that made feeding hard. Then with me being sick, I really don't think I'm producing anywhere near enough milk. He gets frustrated after he's fed because there's just not enough there.
    Todays been one of the first days this week that I'd ventured away from the couch without feeling like I'm going to pass out. I usually get dizzy when I stand suddenly, but this is unbelievable.
    On top of having to deal with me being so sick, my youngest daughter got an infection in her ear & her ear drum burst.
    So how does everyone else cope in this situation?
    I usually feel like I amble around the best I can, but for the last week I've barely been functioning.
    My husband has had to do everything for the kids as I can't leave the house. Leaving bed is hard enough.

Lease
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm glad to see you post, but am so very sorry for all that you and the children are going through right now. I am keeping you in my prayers that y'all get to feeling better.

Love, Mikie
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

So sorry to hear you are so ill and the children too. What a plate full you have.

I think Sandy said all that I would have recommended plus more!

Be sure to use that warm mist vaporizer. It is just so great at opening up the sinus cavatives and lettiing you nose drain. You can put a pinch of salt in the water, but just be sure you have a pan under it as it will spurt steam out on your floor or wherever you have it.

I know honey and fresh squeezed lemon will help that sore throat, but am not sure if you can use the honey nursing the baby? Sandy, where are you????
    If its alright, heres how I mix it;

1/2 cup of pure honey
    1/4 cup of lemon juice

I warm it in the microwave to stir it.

Take care and we are all praying for you to get well soon.

I used to always say that I rather the kids be sick and me well, that way I could take care of them! Not a selfish thought, I am just a practical person :)

Shalom, Shirl
  4. lease79

lease79 New Member

for your replies.
    Today I seem to be making some progress on the recovery front. Flu sucks LOL.
    I'm still coughing, & my throat is still pretty bad, but my head is not on fire, my eyes have settled down somewhat & I can stand without feeling like I'm going to pass out, or that my head is going to explode.
    ~*Sandy*~ - Your advice was muchly appreciated. My foggy brain has forgotten all about the vapouriser I have sitting out in the lobby, even though I walk past the thing a couple of times a day.
    I'm going to buy some of the solution that goes into it tommorow from the chemist.
    I was going to see also about a throat spray, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to use one whilst breastfeeding?
    Asking my doctor seems to be a lost cause, as I went to him to start my asthma meds again & spoke indepth about as to if they were safe whilst breastfeeding. Which they are, but in the same breath he prescribed me sudafed for fluid in the inner ear & it has psuedoethedrine in it!
    Thankyou all again. I really hope that I really start to improve flu wise. I thought for a couple of days earlier last week that I was doing much better & then suddenly I got MUCH worse.

Lease