I've had the worst brain fog day - just venting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by libra55, Sep 14, 2003.

1. libra55

libra55 New Member

Today took the cake as far as brain fog goes. I couldn't remember if I had called in a refill for my Flexeril so I phoned the drugstore and turns out I had called one in and it has been sitting there ready for pick up for three days. Out I go to get the prescription, decided to put gas in the car since I passed a gas station on the way, got the gas, drove halfway home again before I remembered my original mission, turned around and went back to the pharmacy. Gave the clerk at the drive up window the money, signed the co-pay sheet, drove off without the prescription. Went around the block and went back for it.

Stopped at Target and couldn't decide whether to get the Oreo cookies or the Chips Ahoy. The fluorescent lights in there drove me crazy, couldn't even take off my sunglasses.
    Got home and realized I had forgotten the toilet paper I went there for, with coupon and everything.

Well by now I'm nearly in tears looking at the mounds of laundry in my house: dirty laundry, clean unfolded laundry, and everything in between. I took a fibro rant on the kids about how they need to help me more, when I'm having a bad day like this (I hate it when I lose it on my kids). Then of course I felt bad about it.

This is Sunday, I have been alone all weekend (just me and the kids as it always is). My husband is a cop, he works 24/7 amd that's his life. Today he has a day off, does he spend it with his family, no he goes to an airplane show out of town.

So in my messy kitchen (groceries not unpacked or put away, dirty dishes all over, etc.) I thought I would try to cook a little dinner, well whaddya know - I BURNT IT. I just put the chicken in the oven and forgot all about it. So we ate grilled cheese sandwiches. I was almost afraid to make them for fear I would screw those up too. By the way I used to be a gourmet cook and put on dinner parties; ya would never know it now.

The kicker was when my daughter asked me to fill out the form for her school pictures being taken tomorrow. I could barely comprehend the form and I had to rewrite the check 3 times before I got the amount right, and I am crossing my fingers I did it right!

Oh by the way I bought BOTH the Oreos and the Chips Ahoy because I couldn't make a decision either way.

Does anybody else have days like this? I mean some days I am definitely spacey but this was ridiculous. Everything I touched went wrong somehow. It is now 10:30 and I am completely exhausted and in pain, and the house doesn't look much better than it did. I did manage to clean up the kitchen but the laundry is still all over. The spouse is snoring in the other room. Probably all tired out from HIS big day.

Please somebody tell me I'm not alone here.

Hoping for a better (more coherent) tomorrow,
    Michelle
  2. kim840

kim840 New Member

Michelle,

You deserve a BIG HUG today. Yes, I've had one or two of those really ridiculous days. Some days our brains just don't work right. That's when I SLOWWWWW everything down and try not to do too much, just concentrate on what I have to do that day and hope for a better one tomorrow.

I'll pray that tomorrow is better for you. I'll also be praying about your other half. I'm sure he doesn't realize how REALLY tough it can be for you.

Hoping for a better tomorrow, I remain, always the optimist.

Marcia
  3. mrskbarnett

mrskbarnett New Member

You haven't been diagnosed with FM long have you? Most of that have, have come to terms with the fact that we can't do everything we use to do. I feel for you. But welcome to FM...everyday I mess up something. I feel horrible about not being the way I use to be, but there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. I accept what I can do and don't worry anymore about what I can't do. You'll be ok sweetie, don't be so hard on yourself. My husband doesn't think I have anything and he treats me as such. I don't get a lot of help from either. He thinks what I have is either all in my head or credits it to the fact that I'm 40 and it's all age related. I don't listen to him, I KNOW what I have and I've had most of my life. If there is anyway I can help, just to talk, email me, I believe my addy is on the profile.
    Good luck and hang in there!!!
    Kim
  4. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

You are not alone. I haven't had as extreme days, but enough to frustrate and depress myself. When I do have those days, I try to look at the positive. For instance, you didn't burn the house down when you burnt the chicken! LOL The rest of the mess will be there for another day. Make light of it. Maybe have a little family meeting, and explain to your kids what's up and how they can help. I hope tomorrow will be a better day for you too. God Bless.
  5. fullarmor

fullarmor New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your day! I too have had those days on occasion. I can't think, read, drive, nothing. I've done the same thing, driving all around, not even sure of where i'm supposed to be going. You should see me in Wal-Mart, walking around in circles, from one place to the next, "oh, that's what I needed," but of course I always leave and forget at least one thing. I really hate the brain fog. It makes me look spacey and stupid, and I can't stand that. Speaking of food, tonight I put soup on to cook, and I ended up boiling it over and made a horrible mess on my stove. I don't even know how long it was cooking! So you're definitely not alone. I hope you get a good nights sleep. Tomorrow will be better! Lots of love and gentle hugs!
    Nay
  6. monicacat

monicacat Member

I'm sorry to hear you had such an awful day, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

How old are your children? Even young children can put away the groceries and fold the laundry, my son does the laundry when I ask him.

I would sit down with your children and be very honest with them about the help that you need, try assigning them different jobs every week. Tell them that when MOM is not tired and frustrated looking after a messy house, everybody can be happier. Maybe try giving out some kind of bonuses at the end of the week when the assignments have been completed.

Libra, you know what, half the time my clean laundry never gets folded before it's worn again and I don't even care.

I hope you feel better soon!

Monicacat
  7. libra55

libra55 New Member

Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts. It is comforting to hear from others who have been there. Yes I agree my kids could do more to help. They are 15 and 13. The older one has a mild autistic condition, but she's still very capable of doing chores around the house. Sometimes you know, you get the resistance when you ask for stuff to be done (anyone who has teenagers will identify with this!), and you're so sick and tired you don't have the energy for an argument!

I think someone asked how long I've been dx'd with fibro. I received my diagnosis at age 45 after years of problems, I am 47 now so 2 years, but the brain has never been this bad and it seems like I have quite a few foggy days lately. Yesterday being one of the worst!

Oh well, I'll just press on and I think today will be better. And thanks once again for all your thoughts.

Gentle hugs,
    Michelle

[ advertisement ]