I've never seen a Chiro...will most insurance pay??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Sep 3, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I've always been afraid to see a chirpractor...what can they do? I live in a small town and I don't know if CIGNA Healthcare will pay. It isn't an option if they don't. Any advice??
    with pretend hugs!
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I've always been afraid to see a chirpractor...what can they do? I live in a small town and I don't know if CIGNA Healthcare will pay. It isn't an option if they don't. Any advice??
    with pretend hugs!
    Kady
  3. contessa

contessa New Member

I also live in a small town. But three different chiropractors serve the area. Each treats patients with a different method. Make sure you get an X-ray first before they do anything. They call their services adjustments. Get referals from friends or relatives as well. Also check with the chiropractor to see if he takes your insurance plan. I know mine charges only a $10 co-pay fee and the ins picks up the rest. A lot of insurance companies are also covering accupunture now. Good luck. They can help with a lot of things but they aren't cure all's either.
  4. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I first started going to a chiro afte a car accident. Once the symptoms decreased, I went to paying a co pay. My insurance covers it too. I think most do now. Sometimes the visits are limitied,how many times you can go per year.

I would check into it more. Since going I have improved, the fibro is still with me. But not as intense, I think chiro care for fibro is so needed.

Accupuncture, I never thought it would be covered on insurance.. Have to check into it.

:)
  5. AmieRock

AmieRock New Member

I guess I'm as close to an insurance 'expert' as you can get having a long history as a BCBS employee (trainer, etc.) and then 5 years as a chiro assistant/office manager/insurance biller.

There is a federal law that says chiropractors must be covered the same as any other medical provider. However, your policy can limit the number of visits (much like the limits on mental health care). It's like 20 per year or something like that. That amount can be extended by a few visits upon submission of medical necessity documentation by the chiro and it's subject to review by the insurance company's medical review board.

Chiropractic care is wonderful IF you get the right chiropractor. Steer clear of any that don't spend time with you, or that come in, adjust you, and leave the rest of your treatment to the assistant.

Find one that TRULY believes in the theory of chiropractic. Those are the ones who can REALLY do you some good.

By the way, the 'law' of chiropractic care that I mentioned earlier even states that a chiro can treat ANY disease except for pregnancy and 'some forms of cancer'. While the law may cover them, I'm not sure I'd want a chiro treating me for something like ulcers, etc., although the chiro theory says they can.

Keep in mind that your first few visits may leave you a little sore...that spine is used to being out-of-whack and once it's been aligned you may be a bit tender. Ice works wonders for that and after a few visits, you'll wonder how you ever did without chiro care.

Oh yeah...I live in a small town too, but we're about overrun with chiros...Can't hardly throw a rock without hitting one! LOL!

Amie
  6. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

Hi Kady,
    I have been to a chiro, and my insurance did pay, I have choicecare, had to get a referral though from FP.

I have to admit, Chiro's are good, but during a flareup I was having, I felt worse the next day after a visit! I have lower back problems, and especially left SI joint (hip) problems, but he did help my headaches I was having when he adjusted my neck.

After a long talk with him one day, I told him I decided to put the visits on hold, for it was taking everything I had to just get to the visit!

I now go to Aquatic Therapy and it is much better on the joints and muscles. I love it! So much more relaxing!

Good luck and hope your insurance pays, it should!

Hugs!
    Wildcat