I've notice quite a few use Melatonin for a sleep aid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by robsgal15, Nov 12, 2002.

1. robsgal15

robsgal15 New Member

I have a friend who swears by it. I'm wondering is it safe to use with anti-depression/anxiety meds, as well as pain meds for the fibro?

It is a herbal substance and where can you buy it?

Are there different brands and which brand, if so, is the best bet?

I know close to nothing about this.

Thanks for any info.

Gentle hugs to all, robsgal
  2. robsgal15

robsgal15 New Member

I have a friend who swears by it. I'm wondering is it safe to use with anti-depression/anxiety meds, as well as pain meds for the fibro?

It is a herbal substance and where can you buy it?

Are there different brands and which brand, if so, is the best bet?

I know close to nothing about this.

Thanks for any info.

Gentle hugs to all, robsgal
  3. sybil

sybil New Member

unfortunately,melatonin is prescription only in the u.k.

sybilxxx
  4. timmissyh

timmissyh New Member

Robsgal,

I started using Melatonin about 3 weeks ago and it works great for me! Before I use to never get any sleep any more. My dr said that it is safe to use with any of the drugs that I take for FMS/CFS. I am taking 1 mg each night, about 30 minutes before I want to sleep. It hits fast and you don't have kind of drug hangover at all. I just love the stuff!!!

I got mine at WalMart, under the name of "Natrol" don't remember the exact price of it, but do know that it was under $5 and there are 180 pills.

Good Luck!!! And Sleep Well !!!

Missyh
  5. karen55

karen55 New Member

several years ago, and it used to work, however now it doesn't do the trick for me and I doubled the dosage. When it worked though, it worked great and when I woke up I didn't feel groggy at all.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have been taking 3 milligrams of Melatonin for 12 years now.

Melatonin is a hormone that our bodies make, but as we get older it does not make enough for us to fall asleep, I personally think that it also happens when we have FM/CFS (my opinion only)as there is not an age barrier with these illnesses.

You can buy it right here at Pro Health; 'Time Released Melatonin' #P201(5mg) OR Melatonin 'Lemon Flavored' #PH65 (2.5mg.)Sublingual OR Melatonin 3mg. Just go to the "Store" link at the top right of this page, and click on it, you can read about it. Also ask for the free catalog and the Newsletter too.

As for your meds, you need to ask you pharmacist or doctor about the interactions if any.

This is what I take for sleep;

At 6pm Xanax (0.25 milligrams)
    At 10pm ZMA (Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B-6)(ZMA helps with deep sleep, wonderful product) can also be bought here.
    At bedtime 1 3milligram of Melatonin

This is the only way I really sleep.

HOpe this helps, if you have anymore questions, just ask. Thats what we are here for.

Shalom, Shirl

PS, I used Pro Health's supplements before I ever heard of this support board! I will tell you what works for me, I am not just supporting the board or Pro Health, if it works for me, then I will give you the brand name no matter who it is!

7. robsgal15

robsgal15 New Member

First, I want to say that I don't know what half of these emoticons mean...lol. So if I use one inappropriately, pls forgive me. What is this red siren looking thing, and this green light after it?

I feel bad now, telling my friend w/lupus not to take her melatonin with the meds, especially her anti-depressants. :-( Yeah, like I am a doctor. I know that there herbal concoctions you have to be careful, and I thought that is was some kind of herbal thing. So thanks all for clueing me on on that.

Shirl, I want to find out more info on what you take. I smoke..yeah I know..lol, and my vitB is being depleted, and there was something in your routine that I hadn't heard of, so I'm going to print it out.

I imagine that these things help all of you, b/c if you don't get enough sleep, or quality sleep, hang it up for the day..I know that. My dh has restless leg syndrome.

This is turning into a book now, but thanks again all!!!

Lots of hugs, robsgal

8. robsgal15

robsgal15 New Member

First, I have the flu right now and I am feeling pretty bad and have been in bed for three days now. The reason I am so concerned about taking these supplements is that the med the doc prescribed for me for my cough - I think - didn't interact well with my meds, and I, on top of the flu, had a terrible anxiety attack. I'm wondering of the new med caused this? I know you are not a doctor and I just didn't take them anymore. I am afraid to mix anything with all the meds I'm on now, but I want to try your remedy.

Ok, I am a smoker, so I know my B vitamins are being depleted, but I do take a potein/soy supplement that has more than than the daily recommended allowance of vit and minerals. I don't know if you have heard of Spiru-Tein.

Here is my daily regement,

At 7 am, my pain med and a Klonipin and BP med
    At 10 am, my Spiru-Tein vitamin drink
    At noon, another pain med and Klonopin
    If needed, another pain med in the late afternoon.
    7 pm 1 - 20mg Celexa for depression/anxiety
    9 pm 2 more 20 mg of Celexa plus Klonopin

Then I am usually getting sleepy and get to at around 10pm.

The vitamin drink has 100% zinc, 20% magnesium and 100% B6. Would the ZMA be overkill? I have read that you can over do it w/vitamins but then I think, people with fibro may need more of these vitamins. What is your thought?

Maybe I should start out with the Melatonin first. As we know, sleep is very important with fibro, and I also suffer w/anxiety and depression.

Shirl, thanks so much for this info. I need some energy, and this might be a place to start.

Hugs, robsgal