I've stopped sleeping advice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

It's stress, I guess. I have an appointment comming up. I'm not worried about it exactly... it just takes the smallest bit of stress to stop me from sleeping. Sets up some sort of reaction that goes on long after I stop feeling stressed about the thing in particular.

Normally (ha!) I'm up an hour or two later every night, so that every two weeks or so I've completely switched from sleeping during the night to sleeping during the day, and then back again.

Now I'm staying up for around 30 hours at a stretch, and then sleeping only the usual 11 hours (6 of which are just dreaming and waking up off and on and feeling groggy).

I'm tired of this. I get anxious every time I try to go to sleep. My bed scares me somehow. I'm feeling so fed up with this disease and so stressed out that I don't want another night of the crummy half-sleep, followed by a day of crumminess again. And, irrational fears aside, I'm just too wound up to try going to bed whatever I do.

Are there some sleep meds that I can ask for, natural or drugs (I have wicked sensitivities, but I'm getting desperate), to help me for occasional sleeping problems with anxiety? Or something that I could take every day so that my sleep doesn't keep on cycling away from me?

I'm taking melatonin, but it doesn't seem to do much for me, except keep me awake if I take too little, and give me nightmares if I take too much. I have herbs too, but nothing that will 'knock me out' if my body's not too exhausted to stay up longer anyway. Please suggest something useful? Maybe I should start taking valarian during the day, or something like that?
    (((thank you))) Shannon
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

It sounds like you have a couple of issues going on here.

Your biorhythms are probably way out of wack, and you are manifesting symptoms of an anxiety disorder that is latching on to "bedtime" as the culprit.

I use several things for sleep - one is melatonin 3 mg, valerian 500 mg and Seroquel (one of my bipolar meds) which has a side-effect of making you very sleepy. Trazadone is also another commonly used "sleep-inducer" apart from the controlled drugs like Ambien or valium.

When I get manic-y I lose the ability to sleep completely. It is the worst part about being bipolar for me. I get the "racing thoughts", etc.

Do you have depression or anxiety disorder? It may not be adequately treated and that compounds the sleep problem. People often say "no one ever dies from a lack of sleep" but it can make you pretty darn psychotic.

When I had my last child by c-section I went through a 4 day period with absolutely no sleep. I finally had to beg my nurses for something at bedtime. They gave me Serax (a benzodiazepine) and it knocked me out finally. Once I'm deprived of more than 24 hours without sleep I start hearing things that aren't there - like music. It's very freaky.

Anyhow, my other suggestion is that the daytime must be "lights, camera, action" for you. Get as much light into your house as possible and stay active - no napping. Then about 90 minutes prior to "bedtime" take your melatonin and valerian and go to bed 90 min. later. L-Tryptophan may also help you if you don't want to use Rx drugs. Have a calming ritual around going to bed - take a nice bath, listen to a progressive relaxation CD, keep the lights low. Stick to the ritual. Don't engage in any activity requiring an "alert mind".

Hopefully this will help. I had to enforce my own "calm-down" before bed, and it's been really helpful for me.

Hope this helps,
    Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  3. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I think maybe I wrote this for you to post....or maybe your me and I just didn't know it????

But on a more serious note... SAME THING FOR ME... I steal a couple hours from the night each night until by weeks end I have completely switched to a night shift schedule...but I never manage to switch back without sleeping meds.

I got sometimes 72 or more hours with only a couple hours of sleep total.

I get everything fixed and stay in good shape for months on end....(a full year this last time woooohooooo) and then suddenly before I even realize what hits me ...well its midnight now and I am still goin strong only had 4 hours of sleep yesterday...already took warm bath with relazing salts in it...drank my warm milk... took my lunesta 4 hours ago...

I decided years ago that I do not function on a 24 hour schedule... my schedule is about a 27 hour one... I do need about 9 hours of sleep but I can stay up longer between those sleep period (unless the real world interrupts my sound sleep with a phone call at the god forbidden hour of 10 am pfffft)

welp I think I will pop another lunesta and see if that helps.
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

can youtake some meds? try all of the other natural stuff as well already listed...

it is not healthy for any of us to go w/sleep like that...i know you do want sleep i've been ther myself...still working onit..

i have a headach reight now so i am cuttig this short cause it hurts to look at the screen, the light...

but call a psychiatrist to order something if you can....

jodie
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Listening to books on tape. They often have the effect of allowing people to switch off their personal worries and listening to the tape, particularly those with soothing voice, will help you sleep.

Don't worry about time of day or night. It is said that naps can be very good-often as good as 4 hours sleep as naps usually put is right into the deep stage sleep.

Is your room ddark, quiet, people and pet free, no electronics?

Also spraying lavender may help, although it gives me allergies.

Love Anne C