Iz there anything that REALLY helpz (Medz)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by diggity, Oct 23, 2002.

1. diggity

diggity New Member

VVhen I firzt got thiz diagnoziz, I vvaz prezcribed celebre%, vvhich vvaz zimilar to taking an M&M for the pain. Did abzolutely nothing for me. I vvent back to the doc and he prezcribed Mobic, again nothing. Az of novv, I am taking Hydracodone for pain, and Zoloft for depreizzion, that'z it, nothing elze. The doc told me he had five different avenuez to try (typez of medz), I have novv been through tvvo of them. My huzband, mom, and otherz are after me big time to go back to the doc to try the ne%t zet of medz, but I'm thinking thiz: Everytime I go, they tell me that thiz iz not curable, that they can give me medz but there iz really nothing elze they can do, and the medz vvon't really help that much. My queztion iz, vvhy keep going and paying a doctor to tell me that he can do nothing, it zeemz to me that only a real dummy vvould keep paying a doc vvho iz zaying up front that I'm vvazting my money. I juzt don't zee the point of going back again. Medz and docz are too e%penzive to keep paying for vvhen they admit that they vvon't help anyvvay.
  2. diggity

diggity New Member

VVhen I firzt got thiz diagnoziz, I vvaz prezcribed celebre%, vvhich vvaz zimilar to taking an M&M for the pain. Did abzolutely nothing for me. I vvent back to the doc and he prezcribed Mobic, again nothing. Az of novv, I am taking Hydracodone for pain, and Zoloft for depreizzion, that'z it, nothing elze. The doc told me he had five different avenuez to try (typez of medz), I have novv been through tvvo of them. My huzband, mom, and otherz are after me big time to go back to the doc to try the ne%t zet of medz, but I'm thinking thiz: Everytime I go, they tell me that thiz iz not curable, that they can give me medz but there iz really nothing elze they can do, and the medz vvon't really help that much. My queztion iz, vvhy keep going and paying a doctor to tell me that he can do nothing, it zeemz to me that only a real dummy vvould keep paying a doc vvho iz zaying up front that I'm vvazting my money. I juzt don't zee the point of going back again. Medz and docz are too e%penzive to keep paying for vvhen they admit that they vvon't help anyvvay.
  3. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Sorry, I can't help you. I quit going to Dr's a long time ago for CFS/FMS.
    You are so creative to come up with this new language. I love it. When I read your posts I read them like you write them and it's really funny. Thanks for the laugh. Keep up the good work. If it had been me I would have just said my keyboard is torn up and thrown up my hands.

Sapphire
  4. MsJoey

MsJoey New Member

think I would find another who cares a little bit more. At least meds help somewhat and can keep a person going. That's true for me, anyway. Without them I could not function and work. As it is, work is getting harder & harder as each week goes by. But my point is I am grateful for even 30 to 40% relief of the pain for awhile. I take 20 mg. prozac once a day, 350 mg. soma three times a day, and 10 mg norco 3 times a day. This is the best combination I have found so far, but not everyone is the same, as I'm sure you know from reading here. Hang in there with the rest of us. Hope your keyboard gets over it's virus, lol. I love the creative way you have come up with to communicate with us. Whatever works, right?!!! It's cute.
  5. memom

memom New Member

I am disabled with FM (on SSD since '96) and have been through every test, at least once, and seen most types of treaters. FM is mostly treated with psychotropic drugs, which are generally prescribed by psychiatrists -- most of these doctors either do medication management OR psychotherapy, but not both, which is fine. You need to find a psychiatrist who does medication management AND who is very familiar with prescribing meds for patients with FM. My experience was that the rheumatologists just do not know enough about these meds (availability, dosages, interactions, etc.) to prescribe them correctly. This is what I take, plus check the latest issue of a newsletter and read about some new medications that are abut to come out (I don't think I'm allowed to say the name of the FM organization that publishes the quarterly newlwtter, so I didn't.) Anyway, my meds currently are: Ultram (pain), it's in the opiad class, but synthetic so not addictive, I take 6, 50mg tabs per day; it's the best pain med for relief of the overall aches, but it only helps with the flares, so I just take two every four hours then; Provigil (stimulant for energy), this is a narcolepsy medication that has proven to be very effective for FM, I take 400 mg upon waking; Ritalin (stimulant effect for us with FM), I'd like to get off this b/c it requires a triplicate Rx, which is a pain for refills and with Provigil now, I probably can get rid of it, I take 10 mg twice per day (am and noon); Pamelor (anti-depressant), I've been on this since '96, very effective, 2 10 mg caps/day (4pm and bedtime); Klonopin (restless leg syndrome), I've been on this forever, too, and it works very well, although I still have various body parts twitching every 20 minutes or so all day, I think I've built up some resistance, I take 1mg at 4pm and also at bedtime; Neurontin (anti-anxiety), I take about (in process of reducing now) 3 600mg tabs/day (am, 4pm, bedtime); Effexor XR (the XR part is essential) (anti-depressant) one of each -- 75mg and 37.5mg caps -- in am. I hope this info helps. memom
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

The thought of having to take all those meds just to keep going is scary and depressing to me. Do you have your liver, kidneys and bp checked regularly? Guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
  7. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

The meds I feel I cannot do without are my antidepressant, and pain relievers. I notice when skipping the antidepressant that depression does set in, I get blue and cry alot, cannot cope. Its also supposed to help with the pain. I take right now Ultram and Skelaxin for pain. And they work, take the edge off of it. I am looking more into natural meds also, got a couple books out at the library earlier with info.

Anymore I just go to the doctors when I feel I really need to go. I havent found a really good doc for Fibro yet. The Rheumy I first went to wasnt really informed on it all, or he seen so many patients with it, that he is exasperated. He scheduled a appt for 6 months later,if that says anything. I go to my regualr practioner now.

As far as I can tell, read about, there is no cure for it. That exersize, meds are supposed to help. That you need to do some daily living changes, like diet, etc. Other options are chiros,natural meds, accupunture, etc.... lots out there. But just remember there is no cure, but ways to be able to cope on a daily basis, and lead a somewhat normal life. And yet there are those that things like I mentioned, it dont help, and they live in pain, and cannot function.

I think you should go to the doctor and get scripts if needed for meds, until you find ones that you like, works.
    Find a doctor who is willing to listen to you, and take proof, or evidence in that says different sorts of meds have worked, like printed out from online.

I wish you luck, and hope you get your keyboard working right soon!
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

I think vve all vvazt our monys!iz bullzhit!!LOL
    Love it!I'm going to bed with a smile!!
    Tracey
  9. toots2

toots2 New Member

The only time I see my dr. is to have my meds refilled every 6 months or if I have a cold, etc. I mean what can he do for me that he is not already doing. I take three meds, trazadone for sleep, paxil as my antidepressant, and a couple of percosets a day for the pain. I have done it all, read it all and heard it all. What else is there to do? Toots
  10. toots2

toots2 New Member

Personally, I don't think it is necessary to take a lot of meds. I refuse to take a lot of meds. I don't want to take anything for anxiety, don't need anything else which will make me tired, like I am not tired enough already. In my opinion, something for pain, that is if you need it, an antidepressant and something for sleep should do it. Of course, I don't have a lot of the other symptoms that go along with fibro. Mainly pain, fatigue and cognitive problems for me. Toots
  11. toots2

toots2 New Member

Is this a joke? Hope to see you get that keyboard fixed soon. Lovingly, Toots
  12. diggity

diggity New Member

My keyboard haz developed a very bad zpeech impediment, due vve think to getting a bath in pink lemonade. I vvil be getting it fi%ed or getting a nevv one az zoon az pozzible. It haz to vvait it'z turn though, there are quite a fevv thingz in line in front of it vvaiting for hubbyz paycheck. In the meantime, Vel, Vat can I Zay? :eek:)
  13. tedebear

tedebear New Member

This is what helps take the edge off the pain temporarily. But then again something is better than nothing.

Yesterday I had surgery again. Gango Stellate nerve block.
    This was my 4th one in 1 1/2 yrs. In combination with the Duragesic patch, Vioxx, Skelaxan and Nuerontin, I get relief in able to function and do some tasks daily with pain lessened to some degree. I can't say it would work for you, but talk to your pain management doctor and see what they may recommend.

Good luck, soft hugs.