Jackie, I have searched for the last three weeks

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by RoseTx, Feb 17, 2002.

1. RoseTx

RoseTx New Member

For an answer to the question you asked. I knew the answer but didn't know how to verbalize it. This morning as I searched for my own answers I found the following. It is a direct quote out of a book we are using in church this year along with our scriptures. Our Scriptures consist of the King James version of the Holy Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, The Pearl of Great Price. We believe in continuing revelation. So this answere is VERY slanted to Mormon theology. But I believe it will answer your question. (Teachings of the Presidents of the Church...Harold B. Lee, ps. 222-223):
    I know... what it means to have the shattering devastation of loneliness with the snatching away of a loved one. Over my years, I have been called and tried to comfort those who mourn, but until I had to repeat those very things to myself that I have been saying to others, then only did I come to sense something that was far beyond words, that had to reach down to the touch-stone of the soul before one can give real comfort. You have to die and then you have to ask yourself-Do you believe what you have been teaching others? Are you sure and certain that God lives? Sometimes when we stand in the stark nakedness all alone, it's then that our testimony has to grow deep if we are not going to be shattered and fall by the wayside.
    As the wife...of Job said, "Why don't you curse God and die."(Job 2:9). But in the majesty of Job's suffering, he gave expression to something that I think no funeral service is quite complete without repeating. He said, "I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God whom I shall see for myself,... and not another; though my reins be consumed within me." (Job 1925-27) You folks today, if you know that you have anchored your souls in that divine testimony that He lives and that at the latter day He will stand upon this earth and you will meet Him face to face- if you know that, no matter what the risks and the responsibilities and the tragedies may be - if you build your house upon the rock, you won't falter. Yes, you'll go through the terrifying experience of sorrow over a lost loved one, but you won't falter; eventually you'll come through with even greater faith than you ever had before.
    The more complicated our lives and world conditions become, the more important it is for us to keep clear the purpsoes and principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God's moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.Today {EASTER} in commemoration of the world's greatest victory I invite the honest in heart everywhere in deep humility to rise above their human fears and frustrations and rejoice as did the apostle to the Gentiles, "Thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." (1Cor.15:57)
    There is more, but my fingers are stiff. Hugs, Rose