Jaimy, Lakedivers, others on IGF-1 test results please....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Sep 30, 2002.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'd appreciate any feedback from those of you who have had this test regarding the results which I got today.
    My PCP's office told me the normal range for my age (51) is 90-360. My result was 103. How does that compare with your result, Jaimy? I expect yours would be somewhat higher, since you are quite a bit younger and the normal range falls after age 40. I remember you saying your result was normal, but was it close to the bottom of normal for your age as mine was?
    I guess now I'll either have to blame my awful cholesterol ratios on genetics as my Rheumatologist does, or on my sweet tooth, as my Naturopath does. I have no clue at all why I have osteopenia now, as there is no family history, I have never been underweight, and I have always gotten tons of exercise and eaten lots of dairy and taken calcium supplements since I was 37 yrs. old. I was sure low hGH was the reason for my bone loss. Now I'm stumped.
    Any advice from those who know more is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Klutzo
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'd appreciate any feedback from those of you who have had this test regarding the results which I got today.
    My PCP's office told me the normal range for my age (51) is 90-360. My result was 103. How does that compare with your result, Jaimy? I expect yours would be somewhat higher, since you are quite a bit younger and the normal range falls after age 40. I remember you saying your result was normal, but was it close to the bottom of normal for your age as mine was?
    I guess now I'll either have to blame my awful cholesterol ratios on genetics as my Rheumatologist does, or on my sweet tooth, as my Naturopath does. I have no clue at all why I have osteopenia now, as there is no family history, I have never been underweight, and I have always gotten tons of exercise and eaten lots of dairy and taken calcium supplements since I was 37 yrs. old. I was sure low hGH was the reason for my bone loss. Now I'm stumped.
    Any advice from those who know more is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Klutzo
  3. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

My doctors have spoken about possibly putting me on it....
    Bump and interested to hear your answers!!!
    Mine is low for my age!

Klutzo did you ever take Cortef or prednisone?
    Those eat away at the calcium supply.

Total and free serum calcium and calcitonin levels were significantly lower in patients with primary FM. This may be the explanation for our osteoporosis. Deficiency of calcium may lead to aching joints, brittle nails, high cholesterol, heart palpitations, high blood pressure, insomnia, nervousness, numbness of the arms or legs, pasty complexion, rheumatoid arthritis, rickets, and tooth decay. Calcium is necessary to prevent muscle cramps, provides energy, and is necessary for the maintenance of proper cell membrane permeability, aids in neuromuscular activity, and helps to keep the skin healthy.

OR

As many as ten million Americans with high cholesterol levels may not know that their cholesterol is elevated due to undiagnosed thyroid problems.

Undiagnosed and undertreated hypothyroidism can cause elevated cholesterol, and of the estimated 13 million Americans with thyroid disease, at least half are undiagnosed and millions more are not sufficiently treated, opening them up to the risk of continued hypothyroidism symptoms despite treatment.

Current thyroid diagnostic criteria are *too narrow and rigid*, and are missing many millions more with subclinical and low-level hypothyroidism.

Ninety percent of those surveyed were unaware of the thyroid gland's impact on cholesterol regulation.

Patients who have been diagnosed with high cholesterol should ask their physician about having their thyroid checked. If they have an underlying thyroid condition in addition to their high cholesterol, the cholesterol problem will be difficult to control until normal levels of thyroid hormone are restored.

The medical profession's general lack of understanding about thyroid disease, or the tendency of doctors and patients to write off general symptoms such as fatigue, weight gain, and depression, particularly in women...check your thyroid.

Cholesterol is a waxy substance found only in animal foods, and is also manufactured in the liver. It is transported by fat-carrying proteins in the blood. Cholesterol helps us make and maintain nerve cells and manufacture natural hormones.

*HERES THE STORY-THEORY*.....

Our bodies are trying so hard to maintain nerve cells (pain,fibro,nervous system damage,etc)and manufacture natural hormones (we already know how out of whack those are!!!!)that we make excessive amounts of cholesterol trying to compensate for all the damage going on with this dd!

Mine was SUPER high when I first got CFIDS...NO family history!!!....AND I had a good diet....stopped eating any meat, bread, and sugar and all the other fun stuff, cleaned my bowels and ate leafy greens AAArgh! It dropped 100 points in 4 weeks! Lots of water too.

Good luck Klutzo...hope this helps!

Lilladybug!

[This Message was Edited on 09/30/2002]
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

This is very good info,and I hope lots of people read it.
    My serum calcium is normal, my calcitonin checked out fine and my thyroid, which gets checked annually, is right down the middle of normal. What you wrote about is true for many of us, just not for me.
    I just got done reading an article on high insulin levels (which I have) and it explained how a high carb diet and/or obesity all by themselves can cause us to get osteopenia, because our cortisol levels are raised, which destroys bone. I understand from my reading that most CFSers have low cortisol levels, while FMSers have high ones. It would be interesting to poll the members here who have had DEXA bone density tests done to see if it is only the FMS patients who have unexpected bone loss.
    The article also said that obesity all by itself can lower growth hormone.
    I am eating less carbs but obviously not enough less! This article was very effective in it's portrayal of how high insulin levels lead to early death by several pathways.
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 09/30/2002]
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Bumping for Jaimy...and anyone else who has had their IGF-1 level checked. Dara? Didn't you have this done. I'd like to see how our results compare. Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 10/01/2002]
  6. dojomo

dojomo New Member

How ya doing?......I think Jaimy ia away for the week...saw her post on the chit-chat board.....try bumping again in a few days.... awfully quiet around here without her..isn't it?.........DJ
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Drinking a lot of carbonated drinks leaches the calcium out of our bones.

Love, Mikie
  8. garlinbarb

garlinbarb New Member

Don't worry, she'll be back! She's on a much deserved vacation.
    Barb
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

and I'm 56 years old. So, yes mine were quite low. I also have high cholesterol and what I believe is an "on going" problem with thyroid, although doctors don't want to address it because I'm in the "normal" range, even though I'm always the at the very bottom range. I had 2/3 of my thyroid taken out in 1991 and have never been put on thyroid medication, but I also have Tachacardia which I think is one reason why they don't want me on thyroid medication. And it goes on and on and on.... One of my things on my "to do list" is make an appointment with an encronologist but haven't done it yet.

Darma
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Darma - you do have a low hGH number. Have you considered injections? Your doctor may be right about the thyroid meds. I took part in an experimental program back in 1986 where 12 FMS pts. were put on low dose Synthroid to see if it would help. Darn stuff almost ruined my honeymoon! I had tachycardia so bad I couldn't sleep, and my hubby and I were in a mountain cabin, but I couldn't walk up even a slight hill without my pulse going off the charts, so we couldn't enjoy the outdoors. I stopped after 5 days because I had to get some sleep, and felt so uncomfortable with a pulse of 130.
    Jaimy - You have a very healthy hGH level there! Are you dx'd with FMS or CFS, or both? The research I've seen only proves that FMSers sometimes have low hGH, that's why I ask. I have tried progesterone creme. It made my rotten mood much better, but it made my boobs blow up like balloons and they were so sore! It also made my chocolate cravings go through the roof. My estrogen level is in the bargain basement now and is lower than normal even for post menopause, but I still have the symptoms of estrogen dominance. Is this what you mean by treating the symptoms not the test? Theoretically, all fat women like me should be estrogen dominant, since fat produces it's own form of estrogen, called estrone. I know you are skinny though, so that blows the whole theory. I am afraid to do anything to push my estrogen lower, since I am losing bone. I have a friend (who is healthy) who swears by testosterone creme. She says it has renewed her energy level and her sex drive after menopause. I am also afraid of this, as I'm already taking ZMA, and I have a very high heart attack risk ratio (too much testosterone raises heart attack risk). I know there is something wrong with me hormonally, because since menopause I have been a very onery customer and I don't like myself this way! Here's a strange hormonal bone to chew on: I went to a quack once who injected me with 400 mgs. of cortisone (Depo Medrol) at one visit! He believes that FMS is a precursor stage of RA, and he even treats it with methotrexate! The cortisone shouldn't have helped, but I was completely FMS free for 3 whole weeks, by far my longest remission,and my sex drive came back too! Any ideas on this? I wish you luck with your experiments, and please keep us posted!
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2002]