Jam - food grade diatomaceous earth for arthritis, high BP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Sep 8, 2009.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Jam - I recently came across food grade diatomaceous earth while looking up something else. It is non-toxic (the food grade kind) and “generally regarded as safe” by the FDA for human consumption. From what I read, average recommended dose is 1 to 3 tablespoons a day, mixed in liquid.

It is actually not "earth", but the remains of trillions of diatoms, one-celled water organisms.

There are a lot of testimonials from people who say it has helped them a lot with arthritis. It’s also supposed to kill parasites, worms, etc., and very good to give to pets for fleas, worms etc.

Anecdotal reports also say that it can help lower blood pressure, cholesterol and make your skin and hair look better.

Also supposed to be very good for killing ants and other bugs in the house, while being non-toxic to humans and pets.

I bought some and tried a tablespoon in water, and after the 2nd day had detox symptoms so stopped. However, my sister, who is healthy, took it with no ill effects. I read how you tolerated cell food with no problem whereas it causes a major detox for me, so I think you could probably handle the DE quite well.

I thought primarily of you and your arthritis pain. The DE is relatively inexpensive, and a little goes a long ways. So you might want to look into this.

There is a form of DE which is used in pool filters - this is NOT food grade and not safe for consumption, so just make sure that if you buy it, you get food grade.

Anyone who wants more information, just google DE. I’m not an expert and don’t have more information. I don’t have science to back this up either, but it appears to be a benign, inexpensive substance which just might have a lot of good effects.

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You'll have to let us know how it goes for you! My sister has some arthritis in her finger and her hip, which is why I told her to try it, but I don't think she is sticking with it - she's not like me who is religious about taking my supplements.

How interesting that you took it in the 80's! I would like to take it sometime, if for nothing else for skin and hair (vanity). It seems that some day I will have to reach the end of endless detoxing! I'm hoping the methylation protocol will get my body to a state where my methylation cycle is working properly and I start detoxing properly like healthy people.

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I did not do that very diluted dose that you have. It was a couple of years ago, I think I started wtih 6 or 8 drops (yeah, not smart!) I may have gone down to 1 or 2 drops, but then gave up.

So you did well with one drop diluted in 4 glasses of water? It might be worth retrying. Also, maybe I wouldn't detox as much since I have done so much detoxing on the methylation protocol.

How long have you been doing it? Is it helping you?

4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I actually think I still have a bottle of it, I never used very much, so I will give it another try, using your suggestion -- Thank you!

5. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Jam,

I thought I'd stop by for a moment, if you don't mind. :) I just wanted to mention that I have felt that coffee enemas have also helped with what I have called "morning depression". Just felt so hung over in the mornings, and so completely discombobulated. Sometimes would feel extremely depressed (though considered it "body depression" more than anything else).

I also have occasionally experienced various arthritis pains (thought I think this is from Lyme and not sure if it would be considered arthritis). Anyway... I started doing regular far infrared (FIR) saunas at a local health facility back in June. I noticed fairly early on that my "morning depression" fairly quickly faded away.

Then I had a flare up of arthritis pain in half of my left hand. In the past when this would show up, it could hang around for several days and even stretch into weeks. Well, the next day in my sauna, it completely disappeared. I have a feeling the CEs, the saunas, and the DE all help with arthritis and/or depression by detoxing nasty stuff out of the body. I wonder if your friend's depression could also be helped by regular saunas (if they're available close by where she lives). Better than taking ADs in my book.

Hi Mary, saw on your other thread you're doing well with the methylation cycle supps. Congratulations on your improvements. Always nice to find something that works. I continue to do these supps as well, but it's sometimes difficult to determine how much they're affecting me. My gut feeling is that it is more than I might suspect.

Hi Rainbow, I've gotten away from the Cell Food recently (financial concerns), but think I'm going to splurge for another bottle soon. It will be interesting to see how quickly I work up to multiple drops after not having taken it for a while. Maybe my sauna detox will make a difference in that regard also.

If you're interested in reading more about my sauna experience, you can check out this link over on Cort's board: http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?t=264

Nice visitin with ya'all tonight! :)

Wayne[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2009]
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I bet you can tolerate the higher doses because your body just detoxes regularly the way it is supposed to. I don't think you have CFS (from your posts). Rich's theory is that people with CFS have a block in the methylation cycle, which interferes with the detox pathways in teh body. So people with CFS (1) tend to have a high level of toxins in their bodies and (2) have trouble getting the toxins out. You are lucky! I hate detoxing - it feels like you're being poisoned in some sense. Doing the methylation protocol is supposed to restart the methylation cycle. Unfortunately, of course, it also causes a lot of detox because of the accumulated toxins in the body.

I just react to everything which is supposed to help cleanse the body - apple cider vinegar, chlorella, cayenne, cell food, greens drinks, etc.

Even the diatomaceous earth made me detox! But I keep thinking I have to be getting to the end of it, I can't detox forever, right?

Keep us posted how you do on the DE - it will be so great if it helps you!

7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Nice to hear from you. I will look up your link on Cort's board. I'd considered using a far infrared sauna at my chiropractor's office, but was afraid of a detox reaction. I just detox so easily, everything (almost!) makes me detox.

Anyways, I will go check out your post on the other board. I'm glad to hear it's helping you.

8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It would be amazing if it helped you already. Do keep us posted.

I read one anecdotal report of someone with fibro being helped by the DE. I'm not making any claims here! just if I had that level of pain, I'd give this a shot too.

Take care -