Jam - how do you take your Armour thyroid?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Aug 8, 2009.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've been taking mine on an empty stomach first thing in the morning for several years, and then began to wonder about absorption as I have low stomach acid. I did a little reading and saw that if one takes Synthroid etc., those should be taken on an empty stomach but could not find a definitive answer about Armour.

So - do you take it with or without food? Also, I read where it was suggested to take it in two doses, which I have not been doing either.

Would appreciate any info - thanks!

2. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've been taking Armour Thyroid since the beginning of the year. I had been on Synthroid for years. I read a few years ago that thyroid medication should be taken on an empty stomach. I set my pill on the headboard of my bed along with a glass of water. Before I get out of bed, I take my medicine.

My problem is that 60 mg is too much for me and 30 mg is not enough. So I have to cut my pills in quarters. It's a real pain and I never get the exact same dosage each morning. But I feel 100% better on it than I did on Synthroid.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for your input. I'm glad you are doing so much better on the armour!

4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for all the info. Darn! why did they change the formula? After reading that you chewed your Armour, I thought I should do that, until I read that with the new formula you shouldn't. I agree - it's a pain!

I was on 120 mg. for maybe a year or so (prior to that I was taking 90 mg.) and then 5 months or so ago my doctor reduced it to 90 again, based on blood tests, but am thinking I need to increase it again.

I'm different than you - I have CFIDS, with post-exertional malaise which is not remedied by taking Armour thyroid.

Thanks again -