Jaminhealth could I get your...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quanked, Jul 10, 2010.

1. quanked

quanked Member

input about high calcium in the blood? I had blood work done this week and a nurse called and told me I had high calcium and a liver number was one point above normal. She said to come and get retested in 2 weeks.

An aside--I was told that my thryoid tests came back normal.

Anyhooo, I googled high blood calcium and read about hyperparathyroidism, and too much Vitamin D, and possibly medications being the culprit.

I do not think I have seen hyperparathyroidism disucssed here. I will be googling this in a minute. I do take Vit. D--1000 in my multi and 1000 Vit D capsule. As I write this I am thinking maybe it is the Vit. D. I am not sure but I think I read on here that Vit. D should be taken in conjunction with something else but damned if I can remember what that might have been.

Any info you might have on calcium levels in the blood will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

If you are taking Vitamin D supplements in amounts considerably higher than the RDV it is recommended that you get your blood checked every three to four months for the first year to make sure that your calcium levels aren't getting too high. You should also get your 25 (OH) D checked to get an idea of how much Vitamin D you should be supplementing.
  3. quanked

quanked Member

aussiewoman I to take a couple of the meds on the list to watch out for--the water pill and amlodipine. However, I take 2,000 iu's--which does not sound out of line but then I do not know the impact of the meds.

jaminhealth, I did request the tests you mention however the woman I talked to on the phone seemed inept. When I asked her what the liver # and high calcium level meant to me her response was that sometimes too much alcohol could cause the high numbers (I think she was referring to the liver # but not sure) and I do not think she responded about the calcium. She also gave me no details about the throid tests--just that it was normal--she seemed befuddled by my questions. I asked her if I needed to make an appt. to discuss my test results with the dr. and she said no--just get retested in 2 weeks. Needless to say I will be making an appointment to go over my tests. Hopefully, I will make it in to the office to get a copy of the lab report this week.

I do take tums at night and there is a lot of calcium in them. Not sure if this matters.

I googled hyperparathyroidism and that was interesting information. I do have most of the symptoms but many of them are part of the CFIDS symptomology thing. I also have many symptoms of having a thryoid problem (cannot remember which problem). The hyperparathyroidism sounds like it might be easy to diagnose or rule out although my reading on it indicated that one could have high calcium and normal parathyroid hormone levels and still have a tumor. I will request the blood work for that.

Now I wonder if I should stop the Vit D3 and the tums. Although, I have been using tums for years the Vit D3 is relatively new--perhaps a bit more than 6 months. I have not had blood work for over year until last week.

I am not looking forward to seeing the doc again though. Between this person who gave me the results my tests and the nurse who took my bp with my arm hanging down (and the right arm, usually it is taken on my left arm) I do not feel confident about the medical help I am getting. The reading was pretty good for me though : )

Thanks again. It is helpful to me to read your responses and helps me clarify my thinking about these matters.
  4. quanked

quanked Member

Thanks for your response. Is this what I ask for--check my 25 D? I have so much too learn about medical terminology and medical conditions. Medicine has never really interested me but it looks like there is no way around learning more.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Quanked - You want to ask for "25 (OH) D".
  6. quanked

quanked Member

Quite a discussion going on here.

I take tums not for calcium but for acid stuff in the night. I bought a bunch of calcium stuff but then forgot what to take with what. What is interesting is that in my research of hyperparathyroidism part of the symptomology is GERD--acid reflux. However, I have had this condition since the 90's and use omeprazole. I also have a hiatal hernia. Not a good mix. 10 years ago I would have found my dilema challenging and would have relished figuring this all out. Not today--it makes my head spin.

Looks like I need to get off of tums. I stopped the D 3 today. Now I need to research Ubiquinol. I have been taking this for about 2 months or so.

I have a noticeable change in my finger nails. Now I wonder if it is the supplements or possibly some of the drugs I take. On my thumbs I use to have these lines running from side to side. I noticed this on my mom's thumbs too years ago. Now, all my nails have lines that go up down the length of my nails not side to side. It feels weird to the touch. This new kind of line makes it easier for my right thumb nail to split down the center easily. It is split a bit right now because I use this thumb a lot in my gardening.

Again, thank you all for your responses. I respect that we all have our own opinions. I am open to listening to most opinions. However, on these things I am disussing here, I do not have an opinion yet. I only know that I am concerned about my test results.
  7. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

on drug interactions. Can someone reccommend a site that is accurate?

8. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I'm kind of waiting for the dust to clear on the rush to Vit D since it's kind of a new thing, but for me personally Vit D helped me tremendously. My level was very low because I had avoided the sun for several years. I saw a study recently that showed that most people were low in Vit D. I think most people have a problem with their level being too low ever since the skin cancer care and people wearing sunscreen and glasses and hats as if the sun were a killer, and then working in offices and driving everywhere instead of walking like we used to do. I have several friends whose MDs have given them prescriptions for 50,000 IUs of Vit D daily to try and catch up. If you're very low 1,000 or 2,000 IUs daily won't catch you up. I try to go in the sun for 15-20 mins as many days as I can but in the winter I supplement.

You can just ask your doctor for a test to check your levels.