Jaminhealth question about prolotherapy and low back pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by desertlass, Jun 5, 2008.

1. desertlass

desertlass New Member

There have been a few low back pain posts that have come up recently. I saw in one of the threads that you are currently having prolotherapy for your hips.

I also had prolotherapy about seven years ago. It made a huge difference for me.

My story on my back is in the thread "For those with back/hip/butt/tailbone pain"-- you can find this under my username-- it is a few pages back as it was one of my first posts after coming here.

Anyway, I was curious to know a few things:

Did your back doctor ever examine/consider your SI joints?

The pain that results from those SI joints can be as problematic as the pain that comes from the L5. The pain from that whole area could be causing a lot of your leg/trigger point pain.

When you say that you are having prolo in your hips, do you mean on the side of your leg where your hip socket is, or do you mean on your back, where the butt and lower back "meet" around the "dimple" area?

Also, some other people who don't live in my state have asked me for advice on prolo. One of them lives in the UK. I only know how my own physiatrist did it, but I am curious about how yours is being done.

Mine was done by a "fanning" procedure. The doctor inserted the needle down to the bone, and then stuck the ligament five times in a circle, once it was all the way down.

I had six injection sites, with five "sticks" fanning out at each site. This was repeated four times, once every six weeks.

I don't think this method made it less painful, or that it is superior to the conventional method-- it might be just the preference of each doctor.

How is yours being done?

Do you know what the proliferant solution is? She started out using dextrose (sugar water) as the base, but the last time she used fish oil which is more irritating and that was much more painful and difficult to recover from for me.

Are you given any kind of sedative or pain relief during your procedure? I wasn't, and it was really hard for me to get through it.

I found that wearing headphones with a New Age type of music really helped me take my mind away from it as much as possible. Something soothing relaxing, but yet upbeat enough with a melody or lyrics to follow. If the tempo was too slow, it wasn't distracting enough.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Hoping the prolo brings you much improvement and is not too awful.

2. desertlass

desertlass New Member

It seems that there are many ways to approach prolo.

I'm glad that it has helped you, as well, and hasn't been too painful.

The manual rounds are especially important before and after your injections, so that everything is as aligned as possible as the ligmaments heal and tighten up.

Vitamin C will also help your body to produce good collagen that will be in the newly forming ligament tissue.

There is a product my osteopath had me take during that time called Collagenics that has various things in it. I don't know if that helped me or not, but I thought I'd pass that on.

I will probably need to have more done, myself, someday soon, and also in my right shoulder, and one spot in my upper back. Ugh.

Best wishes for a better back,

3. desertlass

desertlass New Member

Hi, Jam

The purpose of the movements is to get your hips in a position that puts enough traction and force on them that they will self-align. You don't have to do any circular motions. I think he calls them "rounds" because you do a set or round on one side and then the other.

These are to help you when you can't get to a chiro or DO. Also, they won't put a strain on the muscles, because you are not being twisted to the side which can cause more laxity in long run.

The belt is just to add extra support and force for people who are stuck out of whack really badly.

It's like loosening up a stuck drawer. The main thing you want to concentrate on with these manoevres is to try to force your backside against the floor (or wall) as hard as you can. It's kind of like when your DO pushes against that area and lifts your leg. Except you are doing it by yourself and in a mirror opposite position.

I know it's really hard to picture, so just keep trying them. The leg pulls are the best ones for me, but they require a fairly strong partner, so I had to rely on the other ones when I was alone and my joint would go out.

I think you will find a favorite one. They are a variety so that if you feel a pain, you don't have to move out of the position you are already in. So, there is one if you are lying down, sitting or standing. But go ahead and try them all and see which one seems to help you.

If you don't feel them doing that much for you, your SI may be okay. It's so hard to know what all is going on with anything to do with the pelvis.

Well, you asked a quick question, but I'm giving you a long answer-- sorry :)

When it comes to any sort of stretching:

The tight muscles can prevent the joints from sliding back into place easily.

So, anything that provides a gentle stretch and does not hurt or cause the area to flare up is probably okay for you to do.

But just keep in mind, if you have trigger points (those hard knots in the muscles) in your glutes and thighs etc., make sure that you don't stretch too hard.

Imagine a knot in the middle of a string of yarn. You don't want to pull on either end too hard, because you will make the knot tighter and strain and fray the ends.

I think the more knots that you have released, and the more aligned you are, the better your prolotherapy will go.

I'm going to look up your "chi swing". Wouldn't it be nice it that was the name of a new dance craze we were talking about, instead of all this pain stuff?

It sounds fun, anyway.

Take care,