Jan a -----Mannose

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen2002, Nov 10, 2002.

1. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi Jan--As I said in my post, I have had recurrent UTI's since age 13, I am now 45--In addition to the FM/CFS health related problems, I am also facing kidney problems, due to chronic infections. I have passed, and currently have stones in my left kidney. I also have a mass on my left kidney, due to be cat scanned again the 22nd of this month.
    I was on daily doses of antibiotics--with kidney and bladder infections every 2-3 months of my adult life....this situation and the revolving mechanisms of it, simply have to change. My urologists uses conventional treatment--antibiotics, I culture with E. Coli, but it has become resistant--now having to use Cipro ...darn expensive! I have a new PCP who suggested the mannose. I was willing to give it a try! The adverse effects of the antibiotics were ruining my health. No good gut flora, and over run with candida, systemically. I have only been on it (the mannose) for a month now. I discontinued all antibiotic use at the same time. Time will be the sure test. Here's how the mannose works:

D-Mannose is a naturally occurring simple sugar, closely related to glucose. Small amounts of D-Mannose are metabolized by our bodies; more than small amounts are excreted promptly into the urine. But how can even large quantities of a simple natural sugar do anything at all to help maintain a healthy urinary tract?

The answer is found in the interaction between D-Mannose and the bacterium found in over 90% of all bladder infections, Escherichia coli ("E. coli"). (No, not the infamous E.coli mutants associated with unsanitary food processing that has hospitalized and killed people. It's the normal E.coli found as part of the "normal microflora" in every intestinal tract." But even normal E.coli do not belong in the bladder and urinary tract. In these areas they multiply and become an undesirable infection.

Why doesn't the normal downflow of urine from the kidneys through the ureters into the bladder and thence beyond simply carry the E.coli right along with it? What allows the E.coli to "stick" to the inner walls of the bladder and even work their way upward (like Spiderman) in some cases reaching as far as the kidney's?

The "cell walls" of each E.coli are covered with tiny fingerlike projections. The very tips of these projections are an amino acid-sugar complex, a "glycoprotein" also called a "lectin." E.coli "lectins" have the unfortunate (for us) capability of "sticking" the bacteria to the inside walls of our bladders and urinary tracts, so they can't be rinsed out by urination.

Unfortunately, for the E.coli, D-Mannose"sticks" to E.coli lectins even better than E.coli lectin "sticks" to human cells. When we take a large quantity of D-Mannose, almost all of it spills into the urine through our kidneys, literally "coating" any E.coli present so they can no longer "stick" to the inside walls of the bladder and urinary tract. The E.coli are literally rinsed away with normal urination!

An antibiotic kills unwanted micro-organisms, but it also kills many "friendly" micro-organisms. Every woman is familiar with "yeast infections" that follow antibiotic use, as the "friendly bacteria" are killed off along with the "bad bacteria", leaving the antibiotic insensitive yeast to grow "out of control". Long term or often repeated antibiotic use can lead to major disruptions in normal body microflora, and sometimes to major disruptions in health, especially immune system function. (It is suspected that "killer" E.coli of recent years are "mutants" caused by persistent antibiotic feeding to animals).

By contrast, D-Mannose does not kill bacteria, "friendly" or "unfriendly". D-Mannose simply helps to relocate misplaced E.coli from inside of the urinary tracts to outside. (Since D-Mannose is absorbed in the upper gastrointestinal treact, it doesn't relocate the "friendly" E.coli normally present in the colon). Use of D-Mannose is ecologically sound. The small amount of D-Mannose metabolized by the body and not excreted into the urine is harmless. As an extra bonus, D-Mannose tastes good!
  2. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi Jan--As I said in my post, I have had recurrent UTI's since age 13, I am now 45--In addition to the FM/CFS health related problems, I am also facing kidney problems, due to chronic infections. I have passed, and currently have stones in my left kidney. I also have a mass on my left kidney, due to be cat scanned again the 22nd of this month.
    I was on daily doses of antibiotics--with kidney and bladder infections every 2-3 months of my adult life....this situation and the revolving mechanisms of it, simply have to change. My urologists uses conventional treatment--antibiotics, I culture with E. Coli, but it has become resistant--now having to use Cipro ...darn expensive! I have a new PCP who suggested the mannose. I was willing to give it a try! The adverse effects of the antibiotics were ruining my health. No good gut flora, and over run with candida, systemically. I have only been on it (the mannose) for a month now. I discontinued all antibiotic use at the same time. Time will be the sure test. Here's how the mannose works:

D-Mannose is a naturally occurring simple sugar, closely related to glucose. Small amounts of D-Mannose are metabolized by our bodies; more than small amounts are excreted promptly into the urine. But how can even large quantities of a simple natural sugar do anything at all to help maintain a healthy urinary tract?

The answer is found in the interaction between D-Mannose and the bacterium found in over 90% of all bladder infections, Escherichia coli ("E. coli"). (No, not the infamous E.coli mutants associated with unsanitary food processing that has hospitalized and killed people. It's the normal E.coli found as part of the "normal microflora" in every intestinal tract." But even normal E.coli do not belong in the bladder and urinary tract. In these areas they multiply and become an undesirable infection.

Why doesn't the normal downflow of urine from the kidneys through the ureters into the bladder and thence beyond simply carry the E.coli right along with it? What allows the E.coli to "stick" to the inner walls of the bladder and even work their way upward (like Spiderman) in some cases reaching as far as the kidney's?

The "cell walls" of each E.coli are covered with tiny fingerlike projections. The very tips of these projections are an amino acid-sugar complex, a "glycoprotein" also called a "lectin." E.coli "lectins" have the unfortunate (for us) capability of "sticking" the bacteria to the inside walls of our bladders and urinary tracts, so they can't be rinsed out by urination.

Unfortunately, for the E.coli, D-Mannose"sticks" to E.coli lectins even better than E.coli lectin "sticks" to human cells. When we take a large quantity of D-Mannose, almost all of it spills into the urine through our kidneys, literally "coating" any E.coli present so they can no longer "stick" to the inside walls of the bladder and urinary tract. The E.coli are literally rinsed away with normal urination!

An antibiotic kills unwanted micro-organisms, but it also kills many "friendly" micro-organisms. Every woman is familiar with "yeast infections" that follow antibiotic use, as the "friendly bacteria" are killed off along with the "bad bacteria", leaving the antibiotic insensitive yeast to grow "out of control". Long term or often repeated antibiotic use can lead to major disruptions in normal body microflora, and sometimes to major disruptions in health, especially immune system function. (It is suspected that "killer" E.coli of recent years are "mutants" caused by persistent antibiotic feeding to animals).

By contrast, D-Mannose does not kill bacteria, "friendly" or "unfriendly". D-Mannose simply helps to relocate misplaced E.coli from inside of the urinary tracts to outside. (Since D-Mannose is absorbed in the upper gastrointestinal treact, it doesn't relocate the "friendly" E.coli normally present in the colon). Use of D-Mannose is ecologically sound. The small amount of D-Mannose metabolized by the body and not excreted into the urine is harmless. As an extra bonus, D-Mannose tastes good!
  3. herekitty

herekitty New Member

I have read several articles lately about d-mannose and other sugars being used to help prevent and cure stubborn, recurrent infections- bladder, sinus, etc. They were articles, not advertisements!
    Kitty =^..^=

And in case it wasn't clear - this was support for Karen - please don't go! K[This Message was Edited on 11/11/2002]
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Good homework! I have researched this, myself, and I find it to be extremely worthwhile information. My residents at the nursing facility get UTIs a lot and are constantly on antibiotics because, for one thing, they don't drink enough liquids. They suffer from all of these antibiotics. I will share this info. to my bosses.
    Thank you, you smart lady!!!
    Love,
    Kady
  5. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Just because something is sold through MLM doesn't mean its no good.

My first experience with herbs came through Nature's Sunshine. I knew NO one to go to but the lady who sells the stuff. I have sent countless people to her...people who coudln't get help from their dr.s. Just a couple of months ago my neighbor called to tell me THANK YOU for sending her to Beth....she went to her dr. and was found to be cured of osteoporosis. I did this woman something MORE than a favor by referring her! And because of her, she has told her friends about Beth. I get a nice little check! FYI for those of you who watched Doug Kaufman in the early years, before he had so many sponsors, he would OFTEN recommend Nature's Sunshine products.
    If I couldn't afford my dr...she is the person I would go to. So, again, just because something is sold this way does NOT mean its not any good. And, just because something is sold in a store doesn't guarantee its any good either!

Annette
  6. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Earlier this year we had the same damn thing happen to a very kind poster. She was doing cleanses and mentioned Hulda Clark's protocols and how one of the tinctures (I believe it was walnut) was helping her.

A couple of very rude, and as it turns out..very ignorant..people started attacking her for doing what they believed was a sales pitch. Being familiar with a LOT of modalaties, I knew it was anything BUT a sales pitch. When I came to her defense, Czar Jackie chewed my @ss out! She had to point out that (even though the person was wronged) she was the moderator and NO one but HER was to correct anyone; I'm glad to see communism is dead here and we can adequately self-police our own kind. BTW, the rude posters never apologized and they were never publicy corrected by Czar Jackie. But, I'm happy to say they have left the board and now reside on a board that I hope I never have to visit again.

Needless to say, this sweet lady was wounded and left the board. But, there was a comment I made to her accusers, and one I ALMOST made again last night on this thread....and its this: Those who get so damn upset over anyone POSSIBLY making a profit, are usually motivated by the fact that THEY have something to sell and since they can't sell it, by golly they are going to do everything in their power to make sure no one else sells anything! I have one word for this: GREED!

Whew, I feel like I just lost 10lbs getting that off my chest! (Guess that means I have to buy smaller bras!)

Annette
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2002]
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I was wrong and I am sorry.

Jaci