janalynn post about topamax and fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Oct 1, 2008.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

I see where you take topamax my doc has sent it and i have high blood pressure, which has a diuretic in it. When do you take it morning or night? Have you had any side effects?
  2. hensue

hensue New Member

Do you take any other med at night to sleep? i take klonopin which is an anti seizure drug and valuim so does it help you sleep? he sent 25 mg to work up slowly.
    i have just started have like 4 migraines. Have you had any bad side effects?
    Thanks so much
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Hensue - sorry I am just now seeing this post!
    I now take it just at night, but have taken it both morning and night before. It can make you a little drowsy, so you can adjust when you take it.
    I also take a separate diuretic so no problem with that part.

Side effects - in the beginning, I did have some. They only lasted about 2-3 weeks. I had short term memory problems and some 'zapping' feelings in my hands. That was absolutely no big deal. I would lose words though which was a little frustrating. I literally couldn't remember what something was called. Within 3 weeks, it got better.
    Certain foods may taste funny in the beginning as well. Also not a big deal to me.

You do need to go up slowly on your dose. I started at 25 mgs, then went to 50 mgs after 1-2 weeks. (I can't remember).

For my FM, the only thing it really noticably helped was my upper arm stiffness (pain) first thing in the morning.
    BUT - I have had so few headaches, that part has been WONDERFUL!!!

Oh, back to when to take it, as I said, I've switched it around a few times. It only stays in your system like 8-12 hrs, so if you need more help during the day, take some in the morning, some at night. If it makes you sleepy, you can take the majority at night.

The pain clinic doc was the first one who mentioned topamax because I couldn't take Lyrica or Neurontin. I hope it works for you!!! If you have any other specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Luck!