Jaw pain and others

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaguiar, Aug 26, 2006.

1. jaguiar

jaguiar New Member

Hi -- I'm new here aned relatively a stranger to chat rooms. So -- I'll jump in with both feet! Earlier this year I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Since I saw a doc who seems to know what he's doing, the pain has been pretty much under control with meds and supplements...until today, when I missed the morning dose. Tonight I have jaw pain (9 on a 10 point scale), which I've had before, and for which an unscrupulous dentist gave me a root canal. Anyway, what's a good remedy until the meds kick back in -- heat? cold? A few too many margueritas? To top it off, I'm allergic to just about everything but acetominophen, which I took about 30 minutes ago. Can't take aspirin, naprosyn, or ibuprophin. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks!
  2. toughone

toughone New Member

Hope I'm not too late to help--I have TMJ and since my splint doesn't fit anymore, I use ice first and then heat (about 5 minutes each or as long as you can stand). It helps some, enough to bring it down to a 5, anyway. Now that you can buy moldable splints at the store (Walmart) I may try one. Kaiser used to pick up the bill for them but not anymore and they run about $800. I went through 2 root canals and an extraction before I finally left the oral surgeon and went to my regular doctor. He knew what it was in 2 minutes!

Hope this helps--take care and eat soft foods til the pain eases!

Bonny
  3. roadkill

roadkill New Member

I have TMJ pain and use Norgesic Forte. It is incredibly effective for relieving the pain in my jaw. I don't know if it is something you might be allergic to though. If I have too many Margaritas it makes the jaw pain worse.
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

and microwave for 1 to 2 min depending how big it is. the sock throws off moist heat apply it to your jaw good luck this seem to help me alot .charlene