Jaw pain with on TMJ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ArkyFarmGirl, Oct 22, 2002.

1. ArkyFarmGirl

ArkyFarmGirl New Member

Hi everyone,
    I have been having terrible pain in my right jaw for the past two days. The pain originates just in front of my ear but radiates into my ear, sinuses and teeth. I did a search for TMJ because I remembered reading about jaw pain. Does anyone else experience this type of pain without it being TMJ? I am not aware of grinding my teeth or clenching my jaw at night. Also, I have never experienced this before (I'm 42) so I don't think it could be TMJ. I would really appreciate any input on this subject. I have been taking Ibruprophen but it hasn't had much effect. Thanks alot!
  2. ArkyFarmGirl

ArkyFarmGirl New Member

Hi everyone,
    I have been having terrible pain in my right jaw for the past two days. The pain originates just in front of my ear but radiates into my ear, sinuses and teeth. I did a search for TMJ because I remembered reading about jaw pain. Does anyone else experience this type of pain without it being TMJ? I am not aware of grinding my teeth or clenching my jaw at night. Also, I have never experienced this before (I'm 42) so I don't think it could be TMJ. I would really appreciate any input on this subject. I have been taking Ibruprophen but it hasn't had much effect. Thanks alot!
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have the exact same pain you describe, in the exact same places on the right side only, and it is TMJ. It started 2 years after I got FS, at age 37, with no prior pain of any kind before that. The pain got so severe it caused me to vomit on a couple of occassions.
    A good hard mouth guard, custom made by an orthodontist, and worn every night or any other time I lay down, has saved me. It took a couple of months and many adjustments to get it just right, but when it finally fit perfectly, I let out a big sigh of relief.
    Ask around about dentists who know about TMJ and go and get checked out. I do clench my jaw at night, and catch myself grinding my teeth all the time, but you don't have to be doing that to have TMJ. About 25% of FS patients get TMJ.
    Even if it's not TMJ, a good dentist may be able to tell you what it is, and it sounds like something that needs to be attended to. Good luck,
    Klutzo
    P.S. If you ever want to trade places, I'm game. There's nothing I'd like better than to be an "Arky Farm Girl"! I love Arkansas, esp. the Ouachita Mtns. and Hot Springs area, and I love rural living. (I lived in Mt. Ida, Ark. for a very short time). I'm stuck in the most densely populated county in Florida. It's a great place for boaters, but I get motion sickness! Whereabouts in Ark. are you?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2002]
  4. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

Last year I had a bout just like you and klutzo. I did not go to the doc for it..<G>..but I did do the following..took garlic faithfully and did reflexology on it. It went away..and has not come back since..if it does..I would not hesitate to try the reflexology on it again.

Hope you find some relief real soon. Pain in the head area is just the worst!
  5. latracy

latracy New Member

I have been having TMJ for a long time, now I know that it comes from FM. I find that I get it especially during stressful times. Have you tried advil and an ice pack. I have found this to help relieve the symptom for me. Sometimes at work, I get ice in a ziplock and put it on my jaw, and soon the pain eases. I know that it hurts at first, but in about 2 to 5 minutes it get better. Good LUCK
  6. ArkyFarmGirl

ArkyFarmGirl New Member

Thank you for responding with helpful advice. I did a search at msn. health and found quite a bit of information. The concensus was that this is very common (even in people who don't have fibro, etc.) and shouldn't really be a cause for alarm unless it last two weeks or more. I took some Vioxx at bedtime and tried to relax my jaw and go easy on it when chewing. I think it feels a little better today. Thanks again for your great support. Oh, and by the way, klutzo, I live in Northwest Arkansas just outside of Fayetteville. I only moved here four years ago from Ottawa, Canada. It is very pretty this time of year and I am glad that I have a job that involves being outside most of the time. Of course, I WON'T be saying that in a couple of months!!! Take care!
  7. severina

severina New Member

I can empathise with you. I have constant face/jaw pain.
    I think with me it has to do with a root canal I had years ago.
    I dont think that it was done properly,but all I know is that
    now I have facial numbness and pain on the spot of this
    dental work, and I have been blaming fibro for the facial
    numbness but the more I read about dental work/ tmj etc,
    then Im not so sure.
    I dont clench my jaw now - the only time I did that was when
    I was on Cipramil - when I was doing that constantly.
    I give up!
    good luck
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2002]
  8. dd

dd New Member

Hi Arky - I did a post on September 26th about TMJ. Just click on my bio and sift thru my posts.

I will give you the shorter story here though. I was diagnosed with TMJ last year. I went thru the process of being fitted for a bite splint a couple of times. The splint never helped me, it made my pain worse. The oral surgeon took panoramic x-rays and found out why I was not receiving relief from the splint. I had what was called Eagle's Syndrome. It is a condition where the Styloid Bone calcifies and becomes elongated causing pain in the ear and jaw. These bones are located behind the ears on each side of the scull. I had both of the bones calcified. Some people only get it on one side. My oral surgeon said that he sees this condition more in people that suffer from FM. The only reason that he took the panoramic x-ray was the fact that he knew that I have FM. I had surgery to remove the calcified ligaments in August. I feel so much better now that I don't have the jaw pain and ear pain anymore.

You may want to get a panoramic x-ray just to rule it out. This condition cannot be found with the regular x-rays normally taken.

Take Care,

Debbie
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Was your surgery done from the outside or inside of the mouth?

When I open my mouth, or eat anything, I can hear/feel a crunching in my right jaw joint. Does anyone else have this too??

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2002]
  10. dd

dd New Member

I had the surgery done from inside the mouth. Yes, I had the crunching noises too.

Debbie