Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LEFTYGG, Apr 13, 2009.

LEFTYGG Member

my left jaw hurts clicks and couldnt open wide so i got out my trigger point therapy book.

it said put thumb inside mouth way back to where theres a sharp bone and press and massage with thumb and index finger. couldnt believe pain i felt pushing back there hurts in glands there and ear. i think if i work on it it may help.

youd think id eat less but i manage to slide it in there. the trigger therapy book is great.

love gail
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I haven't tried the trigger point therapy, all the doctors just say TMJ. You made me chuckle when you wrote that you'd think you would eat less:)

I too have no problems flattening my food when necessary and slippin' it right in there.

3. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

About a year, year and a half ago I had that problem - JAW AND EAR PAIN. Ends up for me that the tender point in the front of my neck was spasming to the point it was causing pain up through my jaw, ear and eventually into my forehead.

That is when I started on Lyrica.

P.S. I'm about 100 pounds overweight - so, the jaw pain didn't even cause me concern food-wise.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2009]
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I actually had physical therapy for TMJ and the therapist had her fingers inside my mouth....felt very strange (and somewhat painful) having someone's fingers there, but it did help a lot.....she also did ultra sound, ice, and some other exercises to strengthen a bunch of connected muscles (& yeah I was kind of blown away by how many muscles connect to the jaw in one way or another....and how much the trigger points affect it, too)

LEFTYGG Member

good to know therapist did this too the clicking is less too since ive massaged area love gail
  6. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I had my jaw lock up on me for the first time when I was a teenager at the dentist
    and then off and a few times as an adult.

But since being diagnosed with FM last summer I've noticed more of the jaw/ear pain
    and I have to say I think at times it can be some of the worst pain to have.

I hope you are feeling better now.

gentle hugs, Susan
  7. Jayna

Jayna New Member

almost never at other times of the year. Iinflammation runs from the jaw joint right down into my eye teeth. So painful I can barely eat or talk, and topical pain stuff on the teeth doesn't help at all.

One dr tried to tell me it was an infected sinus, one dentist thought I needed a root canal, another dentist said TMJ, and the last one checked for TMJ and said 'sorry, i've got bad news; it's not TMJ, it's your muscles jsut being too weak to hold your jaw shut all day.' He had no idea why it happens so much worse every spring.

His suggestion was to tie up my jaw with a scarf or something to take the weight off the hinge. That helps the pain but looks funny.

I also rub peppermint oil along the joint area to help take the swelling down.
  8. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

I too suffer from jaw pain. The pain sometimes makes me feel as if I have a bad earache. I hate this.
    I do not know what to do to help this. I have tried a heating pad and sometimes it helps me.
    take care and I do hope your pain gets better.
    Love, Faith

LEFTYGG Member

ive been working on my left jaw and its much better.

put your r thumb inside mouth as far back past teeth press down and massage inside and outside with your fingers;

it really hurts but eases up after a day or so.

now im starting on calf trigger points which make our feet hurt.love gail