Jaw pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by snowqueenuk, Feb 22, 2010.

1. snowqueenuk

snowqueenuk New Member

Hi guys

Does anyone know why I have pain under my chin in my jaw on both sides? It feels like a tender point when i gently push and is very sore, I have also had some neck and ear pain as well.

Thanks for any replies

2. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Helen,

I have jaw and face pain. The only thing that I have found to work is Flexiril (muscle relaxer). The pain medicine I have doesn't work... Only flexiril.

I hope you find something that works for you.

3. snowqueenuk

snowqueenuk New Member

Hi Wendy

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I am in the UK, do you know if Flexiril is available over here?

Helen x
  4. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I take ibuprofen for my TMJ to reduce the inflammation, 400 mg

On bad flares you can also apply a gel pack (cold) or a makeshift one out of ice in a ziplock that's wrapped in a towel

5. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

You may not have TMJ or not realize it but sometimes we clench our teeth without realizing we do it, or we do it in our sleep.

A mouthguard doesn't just keep the teeth safe it separates your jaw bones from the back of your teeth and seems to relieve the pressure by changing the angle of your bite.

You can buy these a Wal-Mart or any drug store for anywhere from $19 - $30. You don't need one for the top and bottom but a top one is the one that changes the angle best. I had one especially made for me years ago by a dentist and it cost about $250, out of pocket, they are not covered by dental insurance no matter how bad your TMJ is. Truthfully though, having had the use of both types, for our purpose the drug store type is just as well. I find that I need to put mine in during the days sometimes when the jaw pain is too much and nothing seems to work, ie. pain relievers, cold/hot packs even muscle relaxers. I use it too when I get a bad headache to help alleviate some of the pressure.

Hope something works for you.
  6. LC64

LC64 New Member

It is a common pain we have with CFS/FM. I was fortunate at the time in early 90's to be able to go to a good orthodontist. I went through the whole procedure of braces, realignment, etc. and do wear a custom made mouth guard at night and sometimes during the day, especially if your jaw feels tense or have a bad headache. My bottom guard broke several years ago; so I just rely on the top one; which as Nah.stacey says is the most important one. I have not tried one from the store yet; but I would suggest it too for you to try it. It is amazing how much I grind and especially clench my jaw! In time you always have to replace the appliances too because we wear grooves in them or actually break them from so much pressure.
    Hope some of that made sense.
    Good Luck!
    Let us know how it works for you.
  7. rocky76

rocky76 Member

Do a google search for this....

Very very painfull

8. maryl

maryl New Member

Hello, I have the same symptoms, and have been reading up on chronic myofascial pain and
    it's trigger points. I believe this is the problem as it is getting worse lately. I am trying to
    learn enough that I can attempt to locate the correct trigger points and gently release
    them, but it seems to be harder for me to do than the man in the book. If you do a
    google search for cmp I think you'll find more info. Research was initially done by President Kennedy's personal physician,and her associate.
    (They are Travell and Simons and they wrote,"Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger
    Point Manual")
    The book I am reading is called, "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" 2nd edition written by Clair Davies, NCTMB with Amber Davies, NCTMB. He was a piano tuner who developed cmp
    then researched and changed careers to treat himself.
    I tried treatment with a very nice Dr. who used "dry needling" on me but it was soooo painful
    I couldn't tolerate it. I wish I could find someone in my area, Florida, to do the trigger point release, but no luck so far. There is also something called "spray and stretch" which briefly
    freezes an area so you can stretch it a little without so much pain. (But my husband hasn't
    perfected his "gentle" touch just yet.) They say that, unlike fibro, the cmp can be relieved for a time if treated correctly. Hope this info. helps. Best wishes to you. Maryl

[This Message was Edited on 02/26/2010]