Jaw/Teeth Clenching

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilac123, Sep 26, 2005.

1. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

I was reading about this and a friend from the board here was talking about it. I always notice doing it when my meds are really kicking in.

On the other hand, I had a revalation the other night while making supper for my two guys. (Hubby and Step son). I was standing there frying chicken and noticed I was clenching my teeth. While my mom was here visiting recently she said she noticed I go around with my forehead wrinkled alot. I attribute that to the pain. I got to thinking, while cooking. Couldn't the clenching be part of dealing with the pain too? You know, like when you stub your toe or hurt yourself suddenly. The first thing you do is clench up and grimace. It made sense to me as I am dealing with constant pain therefore, constant clenching and grimacing.

Just wondering anyone elses thoughts on this.

(Soft Hugs)
    Lil
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I never used to clench my teeth at all until FM started full tilt last summer. It seems that I'm doing it all the time now. I try to be conscious of it and relax my jaw, but the minute I stop thinking about it, I do it again.

I don't think it's the pain pills as I have this even when I haven't taken anything. It may very well be a pain reaction though. Other people seem to be able to tell I'm in pain even when I think I'm not.

My husband says that if I don't take my pain pill before I go to bed, I'm always moaning in my sleep when I turn over. Crazy stuff eh!

Regards

Eileen
  3. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Hi Lil :)

I'm a clincher, too, and it's interesting you brought up this subject because, just recently, I have caught myself doing it.

I tend to be a nervous person so I attribute it to being the stress-addled woman that I am. But, you never know, it could be due to a number of things, including dealing with pain.

(((hugs)))

Kim
  4. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

I clench my teeth as well... mostly when I am sleeping...

I have crushed my back molars and had to have them pulled.

My dentist says it goes along with the stress that sometimes causes FM. The human jaw presure is very strong, I forget how many pounds of pressure that he told me.

I also do this more during the day if my FM is acting up, or if I am stressed over something.

I also catch myself clinching my hands so hard that my nails leave imprints in my palms. I usually do this fist thing when trying to fall asleep.

Does anyone else clench their fists???

rrsbaby
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I talked to my dr about this same subject the other day. My TMJ acts up every-so-often & it is usually when I have been clenching my teeth. I believe I clench my teeth when I am in pain - especially a headache. Kinda' a vicious circle.

have a great day!
    Kelly
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've had bruxism at night since I was a kid. I have a guard for nighttime now. But I catch myself clenching during the day as well, so I am training myself to be more conscientious about this.

As to clenching elsewhere -- I wake up in the morning and feel like I have clenched fists, arms and shoulders and hunched my back all night. So in the morning, I usually feel like I have to 'unfold' before I can get out of bed.

It got so bad bending my wrists when I sleep that sometimes I end up sleeping w/wrist supports so that I don't.
  7. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

..to the list! Hate to tell ya'll this but for me, it's been about 18-20 years now. Went through the dental splint and that stopped it for about six months. Now my jaw just does it as though the splint were in my mouth. It is my greatest challenge I think.

I also have the pain with the wrists and body 'fold up'. Have severe carpal tunnel now.

Hope you will go to a dentist now before it becomes such a bad habit that you cannot break it.

Maia