JeanneinCanada SAD question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Sep 2, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Hi Jeanne (and others with SAD)

I'm starting to feel crummy again after a pretty good summer. Could it be that the SAD is starting already.

It's barely fall:(

I remember earlier in the year asking about the full spectrum lighting and you replied that you also have SAD.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sue in Ontario
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm poking around a SAD site in the UK lately, and quite a few have started in August. I started at the beginning of August myself and was in the most wretched mood on my bday (Aug. 7). I didn't recognize what was happening then though.

I am responding to light therapy though, I find it invaluable. Just about to turn mine on as a matter of fact.

Jeanne
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Blah!!!

I HAVE to get a light. I know my doctor told about one that is a lot cheaper than the others. I'll have to call her office and get the name of it.

It doesn't help that this weekend is dark and wet, does it?

So nice of you to get back to me.

Sue in Ontario
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Oh yes, I'm just cluing in that you are in Ontario too. Very slow on the uptake lately, as you can see, heh. (2 more mins. on lightlamp, check)

YOu mentioned you found this a good summer. Huh? Are we living in the same Ontario? Just checking, because I haven't gotten depressed this early in yrs, and I'm suspecting it was the dreadfully rainy, stormy, bleak spring and summer we had. August has been vry sunny now, albeit cool, but my circadia has already shifted and the damage seemed to be done by then.

Maybe it was a few of my own circumstances too. But din't you find this spring/summer rather bleak and cloudy. It seemed to me that it rained almost every second day for mths, and the amount of storms seemed freakish. Just me?

Jeanne
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

not really, but what I mean is, hope others chime in too.

Jeanne
  6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Actually I live fairly close to TO and we have had a pretty bright summer here, pretty sunny and not too much rain or extreme heat. The summer was a good one for me as far as feeling better.

My nephew lives near Ottawa too and he says it was a lot rainier/grayer there than here.

One more thing, do you take or up your AD during the darker months. I am on a fairly low dose of Effexor which has up til now helped quite a bit.

Thanks, Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2006]
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

I dont' think ad's work as well for SAD. My lightlamp works better than the ad's ever did. Though I've found the winning combo for me is adrenal glandulars and lightlamp.

I've been on Wellbutrin about 7 yrs. First few, I thought I had my life back. Then for a few yrs it worked not so much, but better than none,w hich for me used to be verge of suicide every yr. Doesn't sound like me now, but SAD is BAD. Poeple think its just the winter blues, but hokey doodle, nope.

Digressing here, but last few yrs the ad has been more side effects than benefit. I have increased in winter, have also tried just being on it for winter, but was too unbalancing. I
    ve added St. John's Wort to boost it, and also found the SJW helped w/ some of the side effects like nasty anxiety (that I never had before). One winter I had to reduce my ad, right in Dec too, rough rough Christmas, but I couldn't see straight for side effects from when I'd upped it.

Effexor is one of the hardest to reduce. I'd highly recommend trying light therapy before upping the Effexor. I'm having a terrible time reducing Wellbutrin and have been at it for over a yr. And Wellbutrin isn't supposed to be one of the really hard ones to go off. I'd hate to try one of the hard ones if this isn't hard though.

Since last yr, when I first got my lamp, I've not needed as much ad. I'm shooting for getting off the ad, and using light, glandulars, and SJW just for the SAD season.

Jeanne
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks, Jeannne

I really appreciate the advice. It was about 5 years ago that I (and my doctor) realized that is was every October that I was in her office sick with depression anxiety, feeling sick and generally awful.

I just don't remember it happening this soon before and I thought the AD would spare me. Honestly, as soon as spring comes along, I am a totally different person - even before the fibro hit me.

So a lamp it is. I will post my results.

{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Sue in Ontario
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

10. Jeanne-in-Canada