Jelly, glutathione, methylation and oxidative stress

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WendyC, Feb 26, 2003.

1. WendyC

WendyC New Member

Jelly, I recently read a post, I think, about you taking glutathione and it jogged my memory. like you, I want to get to the source of problems. I don't want to take every supplement under the sun. I have recently been researching the methylation process. A discovery equal to that of free radicals. Glutathione is part of this important process.

Methylation is a biochemical process. If the body is a car, methylation is the spark plug. Without it everything stops. It is responsible for energy through creatine, makes adrenaline (aren't our adrenal glads a problem?) and melatonin from seratonin. It prevents cancer cells from forming and it controls gene expression. It requires SAMe which is created by methionine and ATP (aren't we low in this?).

Free radicals damage methylation. Cancer or disease results. Homocysteine is a by-product of SAMe creation. In well people homocysteine is converted to glutathione, an antioxidant, if not converted it inhibits methylation. If not converted it causes lipid peroxidation and sticky platelets (fibrin?), as well as free radicals. Yet homocysteine may also help the immune system (over reacting?), to create free radicals to fight off invaders (mycoplasm?). Something may be triggering this destruct process.

Also oxidative stress may impede methylation (hypercoagualtion?). Thus a cascade perhaps?. It seems to all point to some infection don't you think. Then the byproducts such as free radicals and homocysteine compound the problem, therefore symptoms.

SAMe, vits b6, b12, folic acid and TMG all are suggested to aid the process. The body can be depleted of methylation by lack of this things, environmental carcinogens and anything that depletes ATP. One test is the homocysteine level to see if methylation has been affected.

I am not sure if this is an important piece of the puzzle but I think it is. Perhaps glutathione is helping because the methylation process has been disrupted. I haven't put the pieces together yet. I don't know what to do with this, do you?

WendyC
  2. WendyC

WendyC New Member

perhaps candida and others are opportunistic infections due to oxidative stress, and other issues?

WendyC
  3. WendyC

WendyC New Member

Jelly, I re-read my post and realized that I didn't really get to any point. Anyway, I think that in addition to or because of infection and hypercoagualtion our methylation process is screwed up and this is affecting everything else. So perhaps in addition to treating coagulation and infection we need to address methylation. Some have mentioned that they have taken SAMe to no effect, perhaps they have a coagualtion problem which needs addressing first.

WendyC