Jelly legs, buttocks and arms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gala, Dec 21, 2002.

1. gala

gala New Member

I have had CFS for 3 years now and I have been bedridden for over a year. I get up and do light house duties and get right back to bed. I also have chronic nausea. But, my question is do CFS patients have weak- jelly legs or arms. Somedays it is all I can do to just walk downstairs to do the laundry, My legs are so weak and other times they don't feel as week. I am scared I will end up in a wheelchair. Anybody with CFS have this problem and if so can it get better instead of worse? At this rate I'll be wheelchair bound......Gala
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My first question is are you taking the drug Flexeril? It makes about 1/3 of the people who take it into jelly-legs or noodle-legs, whichever you prefer. If so, you need to change drugs.
    In your post you said you only get up to do light chores. Well, I hate to state the obvious, but if we don't use it, we lose it. Nothing will make your body weaker than just lying around. You must get up and move no matter what. I know it's scary, but so is just lying there. I'm not going to lecture you about exercise as I'm sure you've heard it before. If you'd worked in a hospital like I have, you'd know there is a very good reason why people are dragged out of bed right after surgery in terrible pain to be forced to walk up and down the hall...it's because what happens to the body if you just lay there is so much worse!
    Try to psych yourself up to do just a tiny bit more each day, just to the point where you feel strained, but nefver beyond it. We are all pulling for you.
    Best wishes and hopes for recovery,
    Klutzo
  3. gala

gala New Member

Thank you for you reply. I agree with you. I was a RN and I worked at a clinic in cardiology. The reason I don't do more activities is because it makes me so nauseated and the next day I'm sicker than a dog. I feel just like road kill. I don't know how much to push myself without getting so sick. I don't want to be down so much but I'm so darn sick. Even my hands shake when I use the computer. I get so sick that I'm surprised I'm not dead. How do I get up and move when I'm soooo sick? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks....Gala Merry Christmas
  4. gala

gala New Member

I forgot to tell you I am not taking flexeril....Gala
  5. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

The phenomenon you describe is classic for M.E. (or CFIDS). My girlfriend has CFS, and she has it. It's a profound and incapacitating muscle weakness that is unrelieved by rest (but possibly made worse by exercise!). And while it's not impossible that you might need a wheelchair at some point, it's unlikely that it will be a permanent arrangement. The usual course in M.E. is that it worsens, goes into a chronic phase, then gradually fades. I hope very much that your own recovery can begin soon.
    --marcus
  6. gala

gala New Member

I hope you are right and I hope I don't Have to suffer much longer in this phase of being bedridden everytime I do some little thing, like taking a shower or walking downstairs to do the laundry. I really appreciate your message. I can only keep praying and hoping that I will heal, even though I may have to keep a wheelchair for times when I need to walk a long distance. I hope not, but I just don't know. That is what so scary about this disease......Gala