Jelly, Madwolf, Sujay, About Sed Rates

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In the conversation with Dr. Berg which Jelly posted, he talks about SED rates below 3-4 as being correlated with high Soluble Fibrin Monomer.

I went back and looked at my old blood tests and the highest one was 3 and the lowest was 1. It is noted next to the description of the test that it is "Westergren." Is this the same scale as Dr. Berg was referring to in his reference to SED rates?

Thanks for your help.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I can tell you that I was taught while studying Naturopathy that any Sed rate under 5 is abnormal. Most conventional docs do not acknowledge any problem with a low sed rate, only with high.
    When first dx'd with fibro, my sed rate was 55. One week later it was only 5, so the doc said the lab must have goofed on the first one, but I have always wondered. For the past several yrs. it has always been 12, so maybe I have dodged that bullett.
    I hope someone who knows the answer will come along soon to help you.
    Hugs,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2003]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I'm sure someone who knows about the lab tests will come along. I'm going to ask my dod to redo it. It hasn't been run for a while now.

Take care.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

7. KathiM

KathiM New Member

Yes.....westergren is sed rate.......
    I would not now how to act with one that low......mine has been as high as 72 and right now is 40 ....
    the range should be 0-20 anything over 20 means inflammation somewhere.
    Kathim
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

According to Dr. Berg, anything less than 3-4 is indicitive of the soluable fibrin problem, hypercoagulation. Docs are so concerened about high SED rates which indicate inflammation, they do not concern themselves with low rates. The finding of hypercoagulation in many of us, especially those of us with chronic infections, is relatively new. A low SED rate isn't normal as has been thought for so long.

Love, Mikie
  9. sujay

sujay New Member

I think you're right about the sed rates. As far as I'm concerned a low sed rate means hypercoagulation until proven otherwise, but I've had patienw with sed rates over 90. They tend to come back to normal with treatment.

I was interested to hear that naturopaths are taught to respect low sed rates, as I understand physicians are in the UK as well.

I seem to have dodged the worm, but had other problems with my system all weekend, so my aplologies to those I've not yet responded to; I've got a lot of catching up to do.

[ advertisement ]