Jelly,Mikie, and anyone...mycoplasma & antibiotics

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by praisingHim, Jun 11, 2003.

1. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Hello. I have been on minocycline antibiotics for about 3 months now for a mycoplasma infection. My doc said my numbers were higher than anyone he has every seen (he practices integrative medicine). He said I would be on them for 6 weeks-6 months. I know the latest research says at least 6 months, so I have shared that with my doc so I am continuing to take them for 6 months. How do you know when it's time to come off? Do you come off "cold turkey" or wean yourself off? I have heard of some herxing from coming off. I herxed when I went on them, but what would make me herx from coming off? Thanks for the information! Have a blessed day!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone knows for sure. I've been on the Doxy for more than a year (I've been sick 12 years). I recently went off them and have been off three weeks, but I felt some symptoms returning, so I have gone back on them. Every time I was able to stay off the Doxy for at least two weeks, I have Herxed. I think this is because when the ABX are stopped, the mycoplasmas come out into the bloodstream in search of new cells to infect and the ammune system goes crazy trying to kill them. Evidently, though, there are just too many of them still in my system, or my immune system is not well enough to keep up the fight.

It is scary when the immune system goes after them when the Doxy is stopped as I greatly fear an autoimmune response. I had thought I would try to wean off them, but my symptoms just came back and I had to go back on them. Dr. Nicolson told me to keep cycling and when I was able to get off them to do it.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  3. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Thanks for your quick responses Jelly and Mikie! I will check out the website you mentioned, Jelly. Thanks for your help....