Jelly, Mikie, Madwolf, others re ABX

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by healing, Jul 31, 2003.

1. healing

healing New Member

I posted this on another long thread that Jelly had started but I'm pretty sure it's buried....hoping one of you give me an answer!

"How long after you start an ABX do you wait before trying another? How high a dose do you go to, and how long do you give it? I've been on doxy and several others (can't recall)for months at a time with no herxes. I'm now on penicillin, building slowly up to 1000mg/day. I think my doc will add another ABX at that point. If I don't have any herxes (and, at 500 mg daily, I have not) -- how long do I wait before assuming it's not the right med? How do I know?"
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2003]
  2. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

we're on abx on cipro for 4 months...also heparin for hypercoagulation...

I think dr. nicholson says 4 months then change if not working...but...

look up dr. garth nicholson in the library or on internet and most of his articles deal with your questions.....

i'm sure others will answer you but in the meantime you can do a little search that might answer some questions.

take care..crissy
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Nicolson says that one should be on ABX for at least six months before trying to pulse off of it because no one gets better in less than six months. I have, however, not seen anything on how long one should stay on one ABX if it doesn't reduce symptoms or produce a Herx. Perhaps Jelly will have an answer for you.

BTW, if you are taking ABX for mycoplasmas, drugs in the penacilin family are ineffective for them. If you go to Dr. Nicolson's site and don't find the answer, you can e-mail him. He answered me very fast.

Love, Mikie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But mine aren't anywhere nearly as bad as yours, Jelly. Mine are quite violent, but they only last 24-48 hrs. I know when I am Herxing that the ABX and the Famvir are killing off parasites like crazy.

My Herxes have become much more tame over time as the drugs continue to kill off the beasties.

I need to go read some more at the RBF. There is a wealth of info there.

Love, Mikie
  5. healing

healing New Member

With the fatigue I've got, it's hard to study up on this stuff. I still have had no herx -- had my first and only one a couple of months ago with no ABX and totally unknown cause. Nothing before or after. So I know I can herx, however briefly!

I'm feeling pretty good, so it may be working. My rheumy gave me penicillin for suspected strep, will be adding something else in a week or so. This is more to treat my reactive arthritis than my FM.

Looks like I've got a long way to go before considering switching ABX. Have not been tested for mycoplasma yet since my doc is focusing on the strep.

[ advertisement ]