Jellybelly, Klutzo, others about these lumps

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by beckster, Jul 3, 2003.

1. beckster

beckster New Member

and bumps that you are suppose to knead and work out.
    Had a few of those. But my question is what about these taut bands (ligaments or tendons or whatever they are), especially in my neck, they are not bumps really, just an unnatural tightness, like wire at times, you can't really "work anything out." Near them (on the edges) you might find trigger points, but the bands themselves are so taut you don't even get pain like in trigger points (although they are tender).

Almost as if it has gone beyond pain. Does any one know what I mean? Know what to do for this??????????????????
    Its tight most of the time, but when it gets supertight (even worse than usual if that is even possible) it correlates with headaches/migraines (but don't know if it is causal, or which one comes first, or just co-existing).

Sure appreciate any insight or help anyone can give here.

Thanks Beckster

Oh forgot, in the past have tried acupressure, acupuncture,
    message, cranial-sacral, myopractic, etc, all to no avail.
    There must be SOMETHING out there to help.[This Message was Edited on 07/03/2003]
  2. Eastfork

Eastfork New Member

When I was working I had those terribly. My FM started after an automobile accident while I was delivering mail. I was hit hard and we don't wear seatbelts on rural routes because we have to sit in the middle of a bench seat and constantly move to reach parcels and bundles from the back seat. Anyway I'm starting to wander here, so back to the taut bands in the neck. After this accident, I went to PT and after a couple of months my therapist told me the only thing that seemed to be working was the massage she would do after my workout. She was amazed that my neck and shoulder tendons were so taut and she called them guitar strings. She told me to find a good massage therapist and thats what I did. Well I continued working for 3yrs. Finally after working everyday with the pain worsening,I realized I was never going to get better, I would work longer hours to get less work done and leaving in tears every day. So after 14 years I had to give it up, and that was one of the hardest things I have ever done. It's been 4yrs. and I finally got rid of the guitar strings in my neck, but the pain in my back is as bad or worse. Luckily I have the greatest husband in the world and he now does my back rubs every night when he gets home. I don't know how long you have had this DD, or if you are working, but hang in there, I think we all find the path of least resistance somehow and when we do we follow it.
    Best wishes,Mary
  3. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Ran out of cash so back to square 1. Have alot of cervical damage. When I kept up with accupuncture, muscles relaxents, Massage when I had a great one. Bowen treatment and physical therary. Got it some what under control.

Finding right pillow and way to sleep.

Also I still get TP injections in my neck when they just get out of control now. It is a constant job if they are bad. I was and am know again that tight even with relaxation things I do for myself.

After my last whiplash,cluster headaches returned,awful,besides migraines,and other types.

Neuronton right now has been my only help for control somewhat.( Some use tennis balls in a sock daily.)

Some use Toradol injections a non steriodal inflamitory, can only use 2-3 mo. Give`s it a break to relax that area.

Sorry, I know what you are saying/ A Royal Pain in the Neck????? Huh????
  4. beckster

beckster New Member

I love all the input we get on these boards. Im looking for a new doctor and newer treatments and this board is
    indispensable. Hope to get lots of input. Beckster
  5. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

My neck is utterly taut, all the time. Sometimes it's so bad that I can feel it pulling on my eye! LOL. Seriously.
    No amount of massage fixes it, sometimes it makes it worse.
    I have found that when it's hot outside if I put a cold pack on my traps, it helps the pain. I know it sounds counter- intuitive, but it does help me.
    Then while doing this your head has to be resting on something. No pull on the neck. Sometimes I go to sleep.
    I hope this made sense. N
  6. donna13210

donna13210 Member

My neck and shoulder muscles are ALWAYS rock hard, even when I wake up in the morning. And of course they ache terribly, painful to turn my head, etc.

Is this what you all mean about "taut bands" or "ropes"?

THANKS!

Signed,

"Still Learning" (Donna)
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have been going for weekly massage therapy for over two years. It is making a difference and lasting longer now than in the beginning. I also get myofascial release and Active Release Techniques from my chiro. In addition I do stretches, although not as often as I should.

Finally I take magnesium and ProEnergy, malic acid and magnesium, which I get from this site. I didn't think it was helping, so I cut back the magnesium and stopped the ProEnergy for a while. I even tried another brand from a health store nearby. That went right through me!

So I went back on my old regimen and immediately noticed a reduction in my pain levels. So it was really working after all, it just took time to kick in and was gradual, so I didn't really notice it.

Barbara
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Anyone waking up with a taut neck should have their dentist check them out to see if they've been grinding their teeth in their sleep. We Fibro folk often do this,since our brains are still aroused even during sleep, and it can cause tremendous neck tightness and pain, as well as wearing down your teeth. Night guards help keep your teeth from wearing, but something to calm and relax you before bed is the ticket to helping prevent this problem.
    As always, I prefer to start with natural things like GABA, 750 mgs. before going to bed, plus Magnesium 400 mgs. at bedtime. If that does not work, I'd add a mixture of Valerian, Hops, Lemon Balm and Passion flower. If that does not work, then I'd look into Klonopin, Neurontin or Xanax as a last resort.
    Also, a water pillow has helped me a lot with this problem.
    Hope you're all having a nice holiday.
    Klutzo