Jerking arms/legs just as I am falling asleep???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JennO, Jan 2, 2009.

1. JennO

JennO New Member

1 year Fibro/CFS here!! Recently I have been experiencing jerking in my arms, legs and even my head sometimes just as I start to relax in bed or on the couch before falling asleep???? Not sure what to think of symptom for me. Can someone give me advice on what it could be.

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

It's a part of the disease. I started to get that in my teens, though. Still get it. It's either Fibro or Lyme. I've never taken anything for it, but I think they give Klonopin for it. Try to cut out any caffeine and artificial sweeteners like aspartame. The less chemicals in your foods, the less it will happen.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I would get that terribly! It would hurt sometimes I'd jerk so badly. (like both legs at the same time!) For some reason that has lessened quite a bit for me lately. Not sure why. I do take Klonapin but on an as needed basis and really not very much.

I've actually had what feels like my stomach jerk. Talk about a weird feeling! I do think that's part of the beast as a lot of people have mentioned it.

My husband was laying next to me one night - he has his arm around me and said he almost felt an electric current running through me. He asked me I felt it (later) - I didn't, but I thought that was kind of strange. I think he meant (think) that I must have had little jerks all the way down my body, heck I don't know.

What comes w/this Fibro is such a mixed bag!!
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

"sleep start"?

It's quite normal to jerk (myoclonus) just before falling asleep.

A sleep start can be a full body jerk or any part thereof. It can be accompanied by a sensation of falling or suddenly jerking awake. It's perfectly normal and most people experience it at one time or another.

PLMD generally happens repeatedly during sleep.

Hope this helps.

5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I have been doing this also; actually, (with narcolepsy) I will have something to drink in my hand, have had coffee, ouch, and jerked and spilled it. I know what Rafiki is talking about; been doing that all of my life but this seems to be different. I have experienced that and would remember dreaming about falling or something and jerk.

The problem with the narcolepsy is that I don't know when I'm going to fall asleep; I have been eating and just go off to sleep, and wake up with a plate of food in my lap; yulk. I have experienced all three kinds of jerking but don't know what causes the one you are talking about.

I will continue to read this in hopes that there will be more answers.

6. mmztcass

mmztcass New Member

Restless Leg Syndrome? But it would apply to the arms as well? Whatever it is I am sorry you have this.

Take care...
  7. tipper2008

tipper2008 New Member

I went though the same thing about 6 months ago and when I told my pcp he said he knew exactly what was going on with my body. I told him that I could even lay down to rest and I can feel my body relaxing and the jumping starts. Sometimes my whole body would feel as though I were jumping off the bed as I got closer to sleep.

Anyhow, he prescribed me Mirapex 0.25 MG take 1 tablet at night. It has been a miracle for me. I have not had any symptoms since I started taking the Mirapex.

Hope that helps by giving you a first hand experience where I was having daily twitches as I was falling asleep (even at naps) for 6 months to not having any after starting the Mirapex.

I wish you the best,
    [This Message was Edited on 01/03/2009]
  8. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

i have the same problem i take requip 1 mg at night it has help me ,too

i was dx with restless leg sydrome ,,,gmom,,,
  9. findmind

findmind New Member

I had this for so long; one day, while lying on my side, I jerked so hard, with my head and legs going backwards, my abdomen forwayd, and I slipped an L4/5 disk!

The pain didn't start unti about 2 hrs later.

My dr. said my antidepresant caused it; tried two others and same thing, so quit them altogether. Never had another one.

Myoclonus was the diagnosis; secondary to antidepressants.

10. jole

jole Member

But mine usually starts with a "tightening" sensation in my legs, which then turns into the jerking. Sometimes my arms will also jerk, as well as shoulders completely by themselves, which feels really strange.

It started with just my legs, and doc said it was restless leg syndrome, but when I mentioned my arms and shoulders, she just looked at me funny, and said "well, that's something completely different then". Of course, she didn't do anything about it. I'm going to bring it up with my new doc the next time I go.

The only thing that helps me is to get up and walk around awhile....and even then it doesn't always help.

I understand how frustrating that is! I'm on several anti-seizure meds and was once told it's a form of mild seizures, so now I don't know what to think.

Hope we all find an answer....but I do know it's part of the disease're not alone! ***Jole***
  11. Pebbles730

Pebbles730 New Member

yes experience this too. It is very different from the sleeping start. I get this throughout the day and it comes in different forms. Sometimes in my legs, sometimes in my arms and sometimes in my eyes. Its weird my eyes start to twich, just the lids of course. That is when I know I need the muscle relaxers and that usually helps the problem. I do notice it more in my legs when I lay down to go to sleep but at times my head, neck and whole body will jerk and I know I am still awake...not in that half sleeping stage.
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have RLS and when it gets worse, I also have the sensations in my lower arms but not in my upper arms or shoulders. It always seems worse in my lower legs down to my ankles. Actually, now that I think about it I also get sensations in my ankles but this is fairly new.

Have you ever been put on medication for RLS or PLMD?

I was put on Klonopin which really helped. I take Mirapex PRN. Also make sure you are not anemic as that can make it a lot worse.

I have tried magnesium but it has not helped. I know it has for others.

[This Message was Edited on 01/06/2009]
  13. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I never had these sleep starts until a few months ago but my boyfriend who does not have CFS or fibro has them almost ever night and they always scare me. Mine always happen in the legs but with Randy sometimes I think he clears the bed by a few inches. He just seems to fly up in the air and then he groans. Usually he has no recollection but I always remember because mine start just as I'm going to sleep.
  14. Jim Klein

Jim Klein New Member

Hi, Sorry you have it. Doctors I asked when I had it kind of gave me a stupid look cause they didn't now a thing. The shrink I saw in the early 70s after getting out of the USN with a stress disorder said, "you bring this up at the same time we were talking about the dream from last session". (he did not have a clue).

I was in grad school, working, poor, living in a small wood duplex in Hollywood and never new if I'd survive financially. Going to sleep entailed jerking my whole body just as I fell asleep. Maybe "falling" asleep comes from a time when everyone lived in terror and stress and uncertainty.

My solution, literally, was to drink one and at a maximum two cold cans of beer but only when I was sure I was really tired at the end of each long day. Today, I would use water or milk or de-alcoholized beer and two or three Valerian capsules from the health food store (450 mg from CVS is what I have). This worked perfectly.

This is a short term solution for a stress induced problem.

Over the next years, I stayed in school, worked my two jobs, and found a very compatible partner ( male or female is your choice and should not be determined by anyone but you).
    The problem stopped by 1972 and never came back and no other medication was needed. I found that I had to only answer to myself for my life without family, clergy or any other person being allowed to rule me unless I made the decision to temporarily allow them to do so (like a supervisor at a job or a chairman at a university).

I hope your "falling" asleep can be solved as easily as mine has been.

I have unrelated problems now which I am still learning how to handle but I'll post those later.

Best of luck, Jim Klein
  15. Engel

Engel New Member

Some of my "jerks" would bounce me on the bed!!!!!! It comes and goes with me. I also have RLS.
  16. luigi21

luigi21 Member

yes i suffer with jerking movement of the arms, legs, head, usually as i am trying to relax towards the evening, have actually slapped myself in the face one night! and when i am first laying in bed. sometimes feels like someone is pushing on my chest ie trying to resusitate me, thats pretty awful too. i have fibro didnt develop this symptom until about 3 years after diagnosis, so is progressive even if they say its not degenerative. Feels very strange not to be in control of bodies movements, gave me a slight insight into the hell that parkinsons patients must suffer. its very irritating.
  17. loto

loto Member

experience jerks before falling asleep, as well as various times throughout the day.
    It's really crazy, isn't it? On days where I have many and pretty strong "jerks", I have to laugh at myself. I always try to keep a sense of humor about stuff my body does, or else I'll go crazy! :)