Jerking in legs, back, arms and feet..anyone??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Amee332003, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Amee332003

Amee332003 New Member

Does this sound familiar...when I get completely still in bed..and trying to relax watching T.V.all of a sudden I will have a jerk in my leg..or in my back..or in foot..it really freaked me out the first few times!! It reminds me of the reflex you have when the Dr. tests your reflex on you knee. Any idea what causes this?
    Thanks..Amee
  2. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

That is myoclonic movement. Almost all of us have it.

When I started on Klonapin, it helped immensely.

I do, however, still experience it when trying to go to sleep, and occasionally, when just sitting or driving.

There are various theories, but the Klonapin will manage it at a very low dose.

It really bothers me when my back is acting up and will jerk me awake, but it is far less prevalent on medication.
  3. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

This past Wed. night I was in so much pain I would get these twiches under my knee which made it hurt even more,my arms would do the same thing.Woke me up a couple of times cause it hurt.I do this even more now that I am in a flare.
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i get it from the antidepresant cymbalta, driving me nuts i think.

jodie
  5. Amee332003

Amee332003 New Member

Thank y'all for the advie you have given
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have the jerking but it is more like my whole body jerks.

I also took a small amount of Klonopin and it really helped. I stopped the Klonopin and luckily the jerking is much less.

7. moonbeam032365

moonbeam032365 New Member

yes i get the same thing when im sitting or in bed getting ready to go to sleep my whole body will jerk. and i hate that it freaks me out.
  8. orachel

orachel New Member

Restless leg syndrome can affect all parts of body...my arms used to jerk straight up in unision just as I was beginning to drift off to sleep. Whole body used to "jerk" me awake...constantly shaking my foot or rubbing my feet together while awake. Was terrible! Had no idea how bad my sleep could be until this got really bad.

My doc prescribed 1 mg of Klonopin once a day at nightime. Within a few days, restless leg was almost completely gone.

Also, this is very very common in both fm/cfs...many of us have this weirdo symptom! lol

Ask your doc about klonopin...was a lifesaver for me!
    Rachel