Jerry Reed Passes away

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Sep 3, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Heard this on the news last night!,,,,He was a great actor!,,,,One of the favorite Movies of all time "smokey and the Bandit" He was the semi truck driver in the Movie,,,,I believe they said he was 71 years old,,,,S
  2. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

with my hubbie a few weeks ago. I even mentioned the fact that hearing all of those old Jerry Reed songs brought back memories of my youth. Ha! Ha!
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

My clearest Jerry Reed memory is when he was a guest star on Scooby Doo. That was the first time I'd ever hear of him!
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

The songs too!,,,,also he played the coach in the Movie "The water Boy" with Adam sandler,,,,,GG,,,Smokey and the Bandit had a sequel if i'm not mistaken,,,I just loved that Movie!,,,,With Burt Reynolds and Sallie Fields,,,,,,,,Need to watch it again!,,,,,Sis
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Drove an old 40's Mercury convertible once owned by him. Everyone in school thought we were cool, riding around in it, even though it was a heap. We would put the top down when it was snowing and ride around with the heater blasting, wearing heavy coats, hats and mittens. As sad as I was to read about his death, it brought back some high school days reverie.

Love, Mikie
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

He really seemed like a Down home kind of guy!,,The one song he sang on the Smokey and the Bandit movie ,,,went something like this,,,,,

"There's a long way to Go and a short time to get there",,,,and some other words i can't remember!lololol,,,,,

Mikie That's Neat about the Old car that he used to own! I bet you really felt Great crusin' around in that car!,,,,,,,,hmmm,,Oh' the good old days!,,,,,,,Sis
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It was a 50's Merc--typo, sorry. Yes, we were carefree and thought we had the world on a string. I can still remember that feeling.

Jerry Reed had a brother, I think. It's been so long ago that I can't remember but the family had ties to Boulder, CO. I didn't personally know Jerry Reed but everyone said he was really a nice guy and, yes, very down to earth. Larry Reed was a Senior when I was a Soph but I can't remember whether he was a brother or cousin.

Joan Van Ark ("Knott's Landing") and Hale Irwin (PGA golfer now on the Senior Tour) both went to Boulder High School. Both were very, very nice.

Love, Mikie
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

find Jerry Reed on Youtube; also Smokey and the bandit.

And Scooby Doo.

I looked up some obscure singers from the 40s and 50s last night. They were there too. Anybody ever heard of Dorthy Shay, the Park Avenue Hillbilly? You can see her in a clip from an Abbott and Costello movie.

Singers used to say their art was written on the wind. Now, thanks to science and technology, it lasts much longer.

9. sisland

sisland New Member

It seems the older i get the more i love the older style Music,,,Movies and Actors!,,,,,,I'll be over on Youtube checking this all out!,,,,,Thanks for your replies and Wisdom!,,,,,,,,,Sis
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Remembering the WWII Era songs, 50's rock 'n roll, 50's great classics, and 60's rock. Also, the great girl groups and R&B's. What a time in America. There were a lot of problems which we seem to forget when we are nostalgic, but there was so much great music, great cars, and it was a time of innosense. "American Grafitti" captured it very well.

Rod Stewart has produced several CD's with the old classic songs and I love them. I also love the originals. If I could afford it, I'd own all the Time-Life series :)

Well, guess I'll put on my poodle skirt, sweater, and saddle oxfords and head down to the malt shop. See ya later.

Love, Mikie