Jesus, The Prince of Peace.

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by gapsych, Apr 10, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I found the following inspiring.

"Jesus taught that one need not conform to strict and orthodox views of God, religion, and life. He rejected greed, violence, the glorification of power, the amassing of
    wealth without social balance, and the personal judging of others, their
    lifestyles and beliefs.

Over and over again, He taught us to believe in and live a spiritual and
    ethical life based in our essential, inherent goodness. What Jesus
    promoted was succinct set of spiritual principals and a way of life
    based upon the of love, compassion, tolerance, and a strong belief in
    the importance in giving and of generosity to those in need.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. [Matthew 5:9]

Resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. [Matthew 5:39]

I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despite-fully use you, and persecute
    you; [Matthew 5:44]

Thou shalt not kill [Matthew 5:21]

If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to cast a stone at her. [John 8:7] Do not judge, lest you too be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to
    you. [Matthew 7:1 & 2.]

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. [Matthew 5:6]

Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy [Matthew 5:7]

But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your
    trespasses. [Matthew 6:15]

Love your neighbor as yourself. .[Matthew 22:39]"

So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you.
    [Matthew 7:12.]

If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.
    [Matthew 19:21]

2. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Hi Gap--
    Thanks for posting this...I think I read that you find history and religion fascinating? I do too...
    When I saw this it made me think of the respected historian Will Durant, and something I read recently regarding Jesus, namely skeptics...for those who know little about Jesus or question his existance, it's still remarkable to see how much his life has influenced mankind. I appreciate your taking the time to post the scriptures...whether seen as God's son (I do) or just a man from history, his teachings still resonate for us today. He surely was the prince of peace!

Here's a quote from Will Durant:

"That a few simple men should in one generation have invented so powerful and appealing a personality, so lofty and ethic and so inspiring a vision of human brotherhod, would be a miracle far more incredible than any recorded in the Gospels"

Peace to you Gap!
    SJ