JET LAG? LONG FLIGHT WITH CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeffmarathon, Sep 24, 2006.

1. jeffmarathon

jeffmarathon New Member

Hello,
    This christmas my wife wants us to fly from Hawii back to England to be with family. Will this long of flight make me more sick with CFS? Will I be able to be healthy enough to enjoy time with family and make the long flight back in a 2 weeks time? Our would it be best I have my family travel with out me? Any help on this would be great.

Jeff
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I haven't been diagnosed with CFS, but I do have FMS and the extreme fatigue that comes with it. I have managed to travel with the FMS and other health issues, but it isn't easy I have to admit. The last plane trip my husband and I took was from Michigan to Hawaii. We had to stop and change planes in Seattle.

I would think for you anything you can do to preserve your energy would be your goal if you decide to travel. I have heard that airports do have wheelchairs you can borrow so you can be wheeled to your gate. Maybe request a couple of pillows so your seat will be a little more comfy.

I know with CFS that resting does not really make you feel more energetic, but even so, maybe taking it easy for a couple of days before the trip might help.

When you get to your destination, what kind of sleeping arrangements will there be? Any place you can go off to to be by yourself during the visit so you can have quiet time?

I'm sorry I don't have any easy answers. I am sure whether or not to go is not an easy decision to make.

Ellen
  3. sascha

sascha Member

i have CFIDS, and i find books, crosswords- that sort of thing help to take my mind off all that's going on around me. also earphones with music you like might help give you restful time on the flight. and maybe a neck pillow so that you can rest, even sleep, if possible. i don't know about flight regulations now, but having healthy snacks along could help, too. i think the goal is to try to create your own little cocoon (of course, include your wife!) of comfort-- snooze and relax as much as possible.

i find i get overwhelmed with noise, lights, vibrations and all- anything to distract and create your own island could help. and have a great time! sascha *yes, and proactive preparations so that you can take care of yourself while there.
  4. jeffmarathon

jeffmarathon New Member

I just want to thank you all for the great info.

Jeff
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

You might want to look into the idea of taking melatonin to allow your body to adjust to the time zone difference. It won't give you more energy in itself, but if you're able to get a better quality and quantity of sleep, you'll be much more likely to have a good experience.