joannla re:Nuerontin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bre_ann, Aug 2, 2006.

1. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

Who knows. My dr. said it was for the back pain but he may be thinking I'm having some nerve pain. The pharmacist said Neurontin is really for epilepsy I believe but they have found that it helps with this type of back pain. I don't know. It's low doseage and I don't even think it's doing anything but worth a try.
  2. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I don't really know. He didn't talk like my ddd was any big deal really but he didn't explain that degenerative disc disease was really a fancy name for arthritis in the back either. He did scare me to death by telling me if I happen to have a sudden loss of bladder or bowel control or loss of being able to walk right I needed to go to the e.r. immediately. I asked him to repeat what he said so I could understand him for sure and he repeated that. He said it was a rare occurance but IF that happened to call him immediately and/or go to the e.r. I went home and researched ddd on the internet and felt a lot better but still wonder if it might be worse than he was letting on but surely he tell me or want me to do something more drastic if it was. He put me on Celebrex, Neurontin and Tylenol Arthritis, try to do some water aerobics and I see him again in 2 months. So, I'm trying that. So far, not a lot of improvement but it's only been a couple of weeks.
  3. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Yes Neurontin is for epilepsy, however, they hve found it as helped for many other things. Example, I am on it for believe it or not Hot flashes and it is helping that along with the fibro pain, tingling, skin burning feeling. I take 300 mg before I go to sleep and sleep all night, which I never did before.

So, perhaps your body needs to get used to it and you may need a higher dose.
  4. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

that I don't think it's helping at all. I'm tired of pills that do no good. He gave me Skelaxin a couple years ago and I might as well take a sugar pill. Now this Neurontin. Granted I usually don't need high doses to make it work but really low doses aren't really effective either.
    Thanks for the info everyone.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Hope the Neurotin helps you.

I have taken it for years for my fibro pain .. and diabetic neuropathy pain.

It has made a difference on my fibro pain.

I've never had any side effects from it either.

Hugs,
    Janet H.