Job Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EddieJ, Mar 21, 2007.

1. EddieJ

EddieJ New Member

Hello All,

I am a 28 year old Law School graduate (finished in May 2006). My job and life situation is complicated. The bottom line is this. About 1 month ago while studying for the February Bar Exam and working part-time I got a flare-up of CFIDS. I am phasing back into work now. However, I am wondering if anyone has advice about good fields I may want to consider. My background is (appropriately enough) in health law and policy. I have a J.D. from a top 20 law school and have solid work credentials and good background in other areas of law and policy as well. I need some time off to take the July bar (but to do that I need to return to good health).

I know I will get better soon (I am fortunate to be in the small percentage of folks with CFIDS who has recovered substantially). Because I recognize how fortunate I am I want to make the most of what I have and what I am able to do while still maintaining a balance with some of my physical limitations. I ultimately would love to positively impact the lives of others with CFIDS/FS.

Any advice, no matter how general would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks to you all in advance!

Kind Regards,

Ed
  2. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

Hi there, because you have a background in health law I would definately suggest trying to see if there are any fields where they have lawyers overseeing the HMO companies.

I'm a visiting nurse and I work with the elderly and the HMO's are really messing with these people's lives, not to mention someone such as myself.

I think if you go into something with even alittle bit of passion it will make you pretty content.

With you knowing how much suffering can come from just one disease, can you only imagine how much suffering is out there. Well, there's tons, I do pray that I get well enough to one day make a dent in this horrible system we have to contend with.

I don't even know if there are any positions like that but there really needs to be:)!!!

Just my 2cents, I'm sure whatever you choose you'll do great, Good luck on the Bar Exam, Ritatheresa
  3. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

I don't know about various law fields but you may want to consider one where it is less physically demanding (more sedentary), flexible in regards to what hours you work, and gives you the ability to work from home should you have a flare.

I was working as a physician and it is difficult to find a position I can do with these qualities. So I may look into more administrative health work instead in the future if I recover.